Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-30-2010, 06:56 AM

756 posts, read 1,654,555 times

Advertisements

We made it! We really have to thank Moderator cut: Sorry, No realtor recommendations its in the tos . She was creative and persistent on our behalf while being an absolute joy to work with. I could not give a higher recommendation to any of you looking for an agent. (in Phoenix area)

The house sold, we finished all the closing, many friends and family came to help load the truck, we drove to NC, and we are now staying with Janet and Bill, two of God's angels, in Asheville. We have started looking in earnest (and other places - ha!) for a new home in these beautiful mountains. So that is the fast summary. Now for the details...

We all gathered together on Saturday to load the truck. Chip and Tim, our sons, were there with many friends and family. We hired professional movers from Able Movers and they did a FABULOUS job. In fact, after we got here, the men unloading the truck said they had never seen a better job. NOTHING broke! Those men were worth it and we highly recommend them to anyone with moving needs. (in Phx area)

We had pizza for lunch while we loaded and we finished about 5:00 PM. What an awesome job by everyone - from loading, cleaning, patching and painting walls, etc. to being encouraging when things got tough or frustrating. We love you all - thank you!

We stayed Sat night at the Hampton Inn at Gilbert and the Superstition Fwy. The room was GREAT and the price right. Couldn't ask for a better place to stay our last night in Mesa. Again, highly recommended.

We went to church Sunday morning with a 24 foot Budget truck towing the 2003 Camry behind on a trailer. THAT took some getting used to! We parked in the church lot and then worshipped with our friends at the Congregational Church of the Valley - highly recommended! The people there are God's people and we love them as they love us. It was a bittersweet goodbye, leaving friends and pursuing a dream, but there was no better way for a last goodbye than in church, surrounded by love. We shall never forget you and we will find you again when we visit AZ.

The road out took the southern route through Tucson, NM and then Texas. And more Texas. And a little MORE Texas. And on the third day, we awake... to Texas. The hotels varied in quality but we don't recommend the Super 8. They were OK but could not compare to La Quinta where we spent 2 nights on the way. We can recommend La Quinta for your travel needs.

On the way, Janet called us to remind us that Interstate 40 was closed for 3 more months because of a rockslide. Boy, were we glad she called when she did! We were able to change our route away from that delay, taking I-10 to I-20 through Atlanta.... at rush hour. Ha!

The trip was mostly uneventful. Once, I jackknifed the trailer trying a U-turn. I know, Pastor Lyle, you warned me! We had to unhook the car, take it off the trailer, unhook the trailer, move the truck, re-align and rehook the trailer and reload and tie down the car. It took 45 minutes. At least we were in a parking lot at the time and could laugh it off.

The road through Louisiana (I-20) was horrible - the worst I ever drove anywhere. We bounced and shook so much that I slowed to 45 in many places on the freeway (minimum was 40). The truck shook so much I think the front end was put out of alignment. And still, nothing that Able Movers packed broke!

Alabama had a few bad stretches, too. Georgia was good roads but the traffic at 5:30 PM in Atlanta was a challenge with that much vehicle behind me! But Laura guided and truck drivers, God Bless them, slowed to let me in when I was in a wrong lane. The truckers were by far the best and nicest drivers on the road. We were so grateful for them.

Coming into North Carolina, we had hills to climb like no where else on the trip... and the truck showed it! We often slowed to 25 or even 20 MPH going up hill! Still, with all the rough roads and mountains combined with the weight of the truck and car behind it, we managed to average between 8 and 9 miles per gallon for the trip. I expected it to be more like 5-6 mpg.

We arrived at the home of Janet and Bill Parkerson on Thursday, after dropping off the car trailer. The MINI arrived almost simultaneously with us! Janet and Bill got the MINI secured and inspected (no damage at all). We highly recommend Fern Transport and the driver, John. We were very pleased with their service.

We stayed the night at Janet and Bill's (hereafter called the Parkies) and then had the truck unloaded at Stor-Mor Storage in Asheville. The manager there, Laurel, was wonderful and a joy to talk with while the professional movers unloaded our things. They barely fit all of the storage items (NOT counting those things we stored at the Parkies) in a 10x15x9 locker. The put a lot of heavy things on top of other things, but seemed to do so in a manner that won't break anything. We sure hope so. There is no way to tell until we unload - that locker is LOADED!

The Parkies are two of the most amazing and wonderful people God ever created. For them to invite us to stay indefinitely in their home for just the cost of groceries until we find a home of our own is amazing enough. To do so when they had never met us is astounding! And yet, as Janet said, we have shaken hearts, if not hands. We are SO much alike it is scary! Same politics, religious beliefs, diet, love of music, nature, and on and on. And Janet and Bill together fix us gourmet vegetarian meals every day! Why would we ever want to leave? Ha!

We went to church with them - St. Margaret Mary - and they convinced us to join the choir. I am the only bass, but they have a tenor, an alto, and 4 sopranos so we get a good blend. It isn't a place where I could teach, but it is a nice place to worship.

We have searched all around Asheville, Hendersonville, and Brevard. I am sold on Sherwood Forest, 8 miles south of Brevard but Laura wants all the amenities of Hendersonville, about 1 hr drive from Sherwood Forest. Finding a compromise will be tough; the whole house hunting process will be tough now. The fun part is dreaming, the reality part will challenge us.

And so, here we are. It is SNOWING outside right now and a thin blanket is covering everything. We are warm and cozy with our friends here, missing our friends in AZ, but thanking God for all the blessings of this journey.

Last edited by SunnyKayak; 01-30-2010 at 08:40 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2010, 08:24 AM

21 posts, read 47,174 times
Default Thanks for sharing

Mr & Mrs. Friendly thank you so much for sharing your story. It is very encouraging for those of us yet to make the move.It's a blessing the trip went as smoothly as it did and that your transition to your new life is enhanced by love, good vegetarian cooking and some exciting weather!

Keep us posted on your home search. Linda

Old 01-30-2010, 11:45 AM

45,217 posts, read 100,756,508 times
What a pleasant read on this lazy snowbound day

Old 01-30-2010, 10:32 PM

2,864 posts, read 1,810,912 times
Dear Guy Friendly,

Happy to know you were bless with travelin' mercies to your new
adventures in Western N.C. and especially bless with dear folks like
the Parkies.

From one who has also been briefly following your adventures.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina