Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2010, 06:58 PM

729 posts, read 1,505,256 times

Advertisements

To fastfilm - I also show dogs and occasionally help with rescue so I fully understand your concerns. That's what I like about living in Madison County. The county has some animal control regulations but mandating spay/neuter is a looooong way from ever hitting their agenda. The bad part is the good old boy mentality of letting your dog run free.
What's realy nice about parts of Madison County is it's proximity to Asheville. I can be in DT Asheville in less than 30 minutes. I live in the country and enjoy the peace and solitude but it's a short trip into town to take in a movie and a nice restaurant. Both Greenville and Asheville have great art museums. You can do Atlanta in a day if there is something special to see and in 4 hours I can have lunch on the inter-coastal in Charleston. I don't know where else I could live that offers so much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2010, 03:34 PM

845 posts, read 2,830,122 times
Key West FL ? Austin TX ? Shepherdstown WV ?

Old 03-12-2010, 09:14 AM

8,733 posts, read 15,935,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by young92 View Post
To fastfilm - I also show dogs and occasionally help with rescue so I fully understand your concerns. That's what I like about living in Madison County. The county has some animal control regulations but mandating spay/neuter is a looooong way from ever hitting their agenda. The bad part is the good old boy mentality of letting your dog run free.
What's realy nice about parts of Madison County is it's proximity to Asheville. I can be in DT Asheville in less than 30 minutes. I live in the country and enjoy the peace and solitude but it's a short trip into town to take in a movie and a nice restaurant. Both Greenville and Asheville have great art museums. You can do Atlanta in a day if there is something special to see and in 4 hours I can have lunch on the inter-coastal in Charleston. I don't know where else I could live that offers so much.
You are about to come up on ramp season up there....I remember them so fondly , fried up in a skillet with some potatoes..yum yum. Is the I-26 exti. finnished yet ? great ride over the top and down to Johnson City.

Old 03-12-2010, 09:39 AM

467 posts, read 1,188,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by young92 View Post
The bad part is the good old boy mentality of letting your dog run free.
Here in east Asheville this is a huge problem. A good ten percent of people in my neighborhood have no desire to keep their dogs out of harms way, prevent them from being a nuisance or following the law. Therefore, I cannot imagine living in Madison County. I sometimes wonder if they watch the tube and have seen Buncombe County's Animal Control PSA commercial.

Old 11-19-2014, 05:11 PM

37,882 posts, read 41,910,477 times
Old post I know, but I think Eureka Springs, AR fits the bill here.

Old 11-25-2014, 07:55 AM

2,424 posts, read 3,536,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
I like what I hear and read about Asheville. Are there any other similar towns/cities in the South that would be similar in mindset?

What would be some of its closest equivalents, and in what ways?
Asheville and Buncomb County may be Blue, however they are in a Christian fundamentalist dominated Red state and the state has a lot more to say about your daily activities than the city or county, as in voting, public education, laws, etc.

There is no city red or blue anywhere in the Southeast that is at ~2500 and above feet elevation except Asheville and Boone.

Buncombe/Henderson county (85% white) are, IMO, becoming one of the new centers for retirees, and Asheville is already the center for the counter culture in the SE.

Old 11-25-2014, 07:49 PM

497 posts, read 968,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlhm5 View Post
Asheville and Buncomb County may be Blue, however they are in a Christian fundamentalist dominated Red state and the state has a lot more to say about your daily activities than the city or county, as in voting, public education, laws, etc.

There is no city red or blue anywhere in the Southeast that is at ~2500 and above feet elevation except Asheville and Boone.

Buncombe/Henderson county (85% white) are, IMO, becoming one of the new centers for retirees, and Asheville is already the center for the counter culture in the SE.
You noticed that is a very old thread. But since you bring it up, what is your source of information as to your statement that "Asheville is already the center for the counter culture in the SE", or is that just a personal assumption? Depends on the definition of "counter culture."

Old 11-30-2014, 01:05 PM

184 posts, read 447,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imhere now View Post
You noticed that is a very old thread. But since you bring it up, what is your source of information as to your statement that "Asheville is already the center for the counter culture in the SE", or is that just a personal assumption? Depends on the definition of "counter culture."
Interesting point & interesting thread. Is Asheville still a hotbed of "counter culture"? Has it been gentrified past the point of unique and interesting?

@ Inhere now, what are your thoughts on Asheville? You seem to disagree with it being a center of CC in the SE, what cities in the SE or elsewhere would you say still retain that interesting, unique character that Asheville has or had at one time?

Old 11-30-2014, 07:18 PM

17,717 posts, read 13,527,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
I like what I hear and read about Asheville. Are there any other similar towns/cities in the South that would be similar in mindset?

What would be some of its closest equivalents, and in what ways?

Greenville, SC would be your best shot. While not IN the mountains your 45 mins away give or take.
Lots to do outside downtown is beautiful but not over crowded. Better paying job overall the cost of living is cheaper.

Old 12-01-2014, 09:36 AM

6,350 posts, read 11,583,688 times
In what ways do you think Greenville shares the Asheville mindset? I'll agree Greenville has a lot going for it, especially economically - but I see it as primarily business oriented and majority conservative.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina