Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2010, 02:19 PM

1,530 posts, read 3,881,121 times

Advertisements

we are doing some research on green features for our future home right now.

something we want to have for sure is solar energy to heat the water.

right now we are producing energy with our photovoltaik panels and are able to sell energy back to our provider. I wonder if we could do that in south asheville ?
How much is a KW/h in the area ?

next thing of course is a good insulation (wnc healthy built standard should be minimum).

we also would like to build in a wooden stove instead of a fire place (compare 24% efficiency up to 80 !).

rain water harvesting (I guess something I don't have to mention )

at least two heating zones.

any input on that ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2010, 02:28 PM

1,530 posts, read 3,881,121 times
not sure about geothermal - depends on the lot.

Old 02-08-2010, 03:04 PM

1,379 posts, read 3,921,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by queenofbavaria View Post
we are doing some research on green features for our future home right now.

something we want to have for sure is solar energy to heat the water.

right now we are producing energy with our photovoltaik panels and are able to sell energy back to our provider. I wonder if we could do that in south asheville ?
How much is a KW/h in the area ?

next thing of course is a good insulation (wnc healthy built standard should be minimum).

we also would like to build in a wooden stove instead of a fire place (compare 24% efficiency up to 80 !).

rain water harvesting (I guess something I don't have to mention )

at least two heating zones.

any input on that ?
By far the greatest energy efficiencies are gained in eliminating thermal breaks (insofar as that's possible), which is best accomplished with building a home with structural insulated panels (SIPs), rather than with traditional stick-built frames.

Most of the other stuff marketed as "green" is dubious. Sure, radiant floor heating is nice and solar-assisted hot water etc., but they are minor compared with the efficiencies gained with SIPs.

A local company makes the most effective ones I've heard of (eco panels), but I'm no engineer by any stretch.

I'm not saying radiant heated floors and solar assisted hot water aren't good features; I'm just saying they're not where you're going to get the most eco-bang for your buck.

I'm guessing that more and more builders are going to be building with SIPs, for this very reason. It just takes awhile to catch on, and builders accustomed to building stick frames aren't going to change unless there is incentive for them to do so (i.e., customers demand it).

I've already provided you with links on SIPs in another thread; I'd check them out if you're seriously interested in building with the most eco-friendly techniques.

If you choose to go stick built, there is no shortage of builders in the area who build "green" homes with the features you've described.

Old 02-09-2010, 04:55 AM

121 posts, read 278,143 times
[quote=NC_Paddler;12812855]By far the greatest energy efficiencies are gained in eliminating thermal breaks (insofar as that's possible), which is best accomplished with building a home with structural insulated panels (SIPs), rather than with traditional stick-built frames.

I agree that SIPS are great. However, if you still want the flexibility of stick framing you can also consider icynene foam insulation. If you want to go really green there is a company that makes a spray in foam insulation made out of soybeans. I still do not think it is possible to beat ICF construction when it comes to having a bomb proof structure that is more energy efficient than anything on the market.
Brian

Old 02-09-2010, 09:41 AM

There is only so much efficiency you can gain from updating an existing home, especially older homes. And at some point it becomes cost prohibitive (and the efficiency gains are not worth the cost). You can't really tear down the frame of the house and start over; you might as well build a new home.

If you're employing state-of-the-art technology, and if you're going to stay at that location for a long time, it makes sense to take advantage of the new technology that is available, especially with builders who work to minimize the environmental impact. Over time, it is worthwhile.

Plus, just like any other technology, the old should be phased out and replaced with the newer, more efficient products. You can only do so much with a home that was built in the 1920s, for example.

Of course, this assumes that people stop building McMansions and use the energy efficiency gains as an excuse to continue their gluttony.

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 02-09-2010 at 02:57 PM.. Reason: Edited as quoted post has been deleted

Old 02-09-2010, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by livninctry View Post

I sometimes question how really green using food (pesticide laden soy no less) to build houses.
Well, hopefully you're not going to eat the SIPs, right? I think that's probably a nitpick. Besides the polyurethane is not directly exposed to the living environment.

Quote:
We have a global food crisis.
No, we have a human greed/political crisis, and a human overpopulation crisis. Food "shortages" are a symptom, not a cause.

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 02-09-2010 at 02:58 PM..

Old 02-09-2010, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by livninctry View Post
I agree that SIPS are great. However, if you still want the flexibility of stick framing you can also consider icynene foam insulation.
What do you mean, the "flexibility" of stick built framing?

Quote:
If you want to go really green there is a company that makes a spray in foam insulation made out of soybeans. I still do not think it is possible to beat ICF construction when it comes to having a bomb proof structure that is more energy efficient than anything on the market.
Brian
Interesting, I haven't looked into ICF. Are there builders in the area that build residential buildings using this technology? Are you aware of blower door tests comparing the two methods?

Thanks!

Old 02-10-2010, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Here comes sunshine View Post
Either way you look at it you are using food to build houses as opposed to feeding hungry people. I would agree we have an overpopulation problem but that is not going away soon so we need to feed people.
We have the capacity already to feed people, but we don't. So not using soy products for building doesn't really go anywhere toward solving that problem. It's a non-sequitir.

Quote:
I believe the pesticide comment was referring to the fact that conventional soy is on the top of the list of crops using the most pesticides and pesticides are very very damaging to soil, water, etc.
Fair enough, but again, but the issue of pesticide use is a seperate issue.

Quote:
Polyurethane causes off gassing and is also very toxic.
The polyurethane used in SIPs panels is cured, and does not emit VOCs. Also, the polyurethane is tightly sealed within the walls.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina