Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2010, 03:05 PM

6 posts, read 11,898 times

Advertisements

Geez, what is wrong with just getting your license and then your insurance using your temp address? Then when you get your 'permanent' address, use the change of address form the Post Office supplies and let everyone know?
And yes, the drivers test is easy if you can read. Just study the book and take the test. Really, everyone is right on this. If my 78 year old mom can pass, I have no doubt you can too.
As for banks, why so insistent on a Credit Union? Yes they are great, but in NC they are for members of whatever work place starts them. I too was disappointed about that, coming from Iowa where they had 'community credit unions' that anyone could enjoy. So try Mountain First. Or Asheville Savings or any other number of FREE checking accounts with no minimums required. It is as easy as calling around to see who has what.
As for Health Care, well don't even get me started, but a word to the wise, when you move to a different state for good, you need to change companies anyway. So if you plan to stay, you can get a company that is licensed in NC and then you will have coverage. Bingo!
So why are you in Western North Carolina? Because, to me at least, there is no better place to be laid back in than Asheville NC. So chill and take care of that pain first and foremost.
I wish you well!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2010, 04:48 PM

442 posts, read 1,510,063 times
I think you are wrong about having to "change companies" - we have Blue Cross and it will move with us to NC - yes we will have to do some paperwork - and our premium might go up - but we don't have to change insurance carriers.

Old 04-10-2010, 12:04 PM

70 posts, read 219,590 times
Call AARP if you qualify for their insurance. I have had major surgery here in Asheville and the medical care here is beyond fantastic and much more personalized than Florida and I had a huge choice of doctors.

Old 04-10-2010, 03:54 PM

1,912 posts, read 3,226,263 times
I moved here because it is Heaven on earth! I LOVED the winter, I am in AWE of the spring, the summer is a BLAST and the fall....well...fall is BEAUTIFUL.

Old 04-18-2010, 07:38 PM

10 posts, read 14,436 times
As far as your back goes, until you can find the right doctor to help, I might have a temorary remedy. First you need to find a bath tub, preferable one with a shower in it. Put water as hot as you can handle into the tub, add 4 cups of Epsom Salts (Walmart, drug stores, etc. carry it) and soak for a few minutes in the salt water. The relief usually starts immediately. When you are feeling better stand up and shower off the salt water. Good luck on everything.

Old 04-19-2010, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinster View Post
As far as your back goes, until you can find the right doctor to help, I might have a temorary remedy. First you need to find a bath tub, preferable one with a shower in it. Put water as hot as you can handle into the tub, add 4 cups of Epsom Salts (Walmart, drug stores, etc. carry it) and soak for a few minutes in the salt water. The relief usually starts immediately. When you are feeling better stand up and shower off the salt water. Good luck on everything.
Lol!!!! When I had sciatica it took me 3 months to feel better, that would be a LONG bath!!!!!!

Old 07-09-2010, 08:36 PM

46 posts, read 152,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyFriendly View Post
WARNING: "bitching and moaning" ahead.

My back has been killing me. I finally decided to get a doctor here in the Asheville area rather than wait until we have a home and a permanent community - wherever that might be.

The urgent care, massage therapy, acupuncture, and chiropractor all failed to resolve the back problem. So I looked up which doctors take my health insurance and they listed 4. I called all 4 but one is in SC now, one is a pediatrician, one an oncologist, and one a Hospice doctor. HOSPICE? I didn't think I was ready for that... but now I wonder.

I emailed the insurance company and told them every one of their Internists was NOT an internist at all. After back and forth several times, they finally said they have no internists in NC who take their insurance!! Their solution? There is one in Tennessee I can go to. . .

Then today I got a letter from my car insurance saying they notified Arizona that I did not renew my insurance and my car registrations will be suspended. The trouble is, I did renew my insurance with the same company, but for NC instead of AZ because we moved here. Too bad, so sad. They are required by law to tell AZ we canceled the AZ policy. *sigh*

After numerous phone calls, I finally found out I can get a form on line for AZ that promises I won't drive the cars in AZ. It is an insurance-exempt form that allows me to keep my car registered there until we get a permanent residence here. No big deal, except...

The Camry is due for renewal March 31. AZ DOT said I can renew the registration, so I tried. They wanted my current address. Oh oh. If I put NC, they then say my AZ Driver's license is invalid and I cannot renew registration without a valid Driver's License. If I put my old AZ address, they will send all the registration tags to that address with a NO FORWARDING requirement on the envelope! Sure, I can renew it! Yep. Uh-huh.

So I could register in NC, right? Well NC won't let you register a car until you have a Driver's License. You can't get a Driver's License without a permanent NC address. Plus, you have to pass the Driver's License tests. Good grief!

OK, we could use the address where we are staying as our "permanent address" (poor Parkies!). Then we could get Driver's Licenses, register the cars, and then change everything when we finally find a place to live wherever. By the time we get Driver's Licenses the Camry registration will be expired. Guess we drive Mrs. Friendly's MINI everywhere.

But wait, there's more. I looked for a Credit Union because I was with one for 25 years in AZ. There are several but none will let me join. I checked the banks and there are fees for everything - including $5 a month to have a savings account that pays 1% interest! Oh, they waive the fees if you have $5,000 in the account. Good grief! I haven't used a bank in so long, I think I am allergic to them.

So I called my AZ credit union where all my auto-deposits and debits still go (until we get a permanent address/location?). I asked them which CU here could I go to in order to deposit checks to my AZ account. Answer: none. They don't do interbank cooperation. They told me to snail mail the checks to them and they would deposit them.

Mrs. Friendly asked me yesterday, "Why did we move here?" The answer is that we thought we had done the research and this would be a good place to retire. But so far, it has been nothing but headaches (and back aches) with the major exception of the love and support of Janet and Bill. But Mrs. Friendly and I can't even agree where we want to live. Remember Green Acres? Just change the words a little:

Green forests are the place for me.
Pure nature is the life for me.
Trees spreadin' out so far and wide
Keep your city, just give me that mountainside.

Near Asheville's where I'd rather stay.
Takin' classes at UNCA.
I just adore artsy parties, too.
Guy I love you but give me some things to do!

...The bass.
...The class.
...Fresh air.
...Art Fairs.

We're filled with strife.
Good bye, happy life.
North Carolina we are here.

So where do we go from here? Tennessee?

We now return you to your regularly scheduled happy posts....
Reading your post.....
No wonder your back hurts.. That made my head swim about the renewal of your vehicle... Where did you find the Chiropractor? Is there many near Hayesville, Murphy, Andrews???

Old 07-10-2010, 04:08 PM

I wonder why the Parkies and the Friendly's don't post anymore??????

Old 07-10-2010, 05:29 PM

442 posts, read 1,510,063 times
they're too busy living the dream!?!?!

Old 07-14-2010, 08:34 AM

63 posts, read 152,267 times
Just peeking in to catch up. Perhaps no news is good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina