Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2007, 12:53 PM

126 posts, read 620,784 times

Advertisements

If anyone is familiar with these two cities, how do they compare? We know Boulder -- and it's reputation -- rich white kids, trust fund hippies, the whole college liberal party town thing. Housing is unaffordable for pretty much everyone who's not rich or bought a home years ago. But it does offer interesting diversity in shops, organizations, etc. and it's so beautiful and outdoorsy. How does Asheville compare? Would anyone say it's like a cheaper version of Boulder? And when I say Boulder is expensive, I'm saying you can't even buy a cheap ugly condo for less than 150k. Maybe even 200k.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2007, 12:58 PM

17,534 posts, read 39,121,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladyfish View Post
If anyone is familiar with these two cities, how do they compare? We know Boulder -- and it's reputation -- rich white kids, trust fund hippies, the whole college liberal party town thing. Housing is unaffordable for pretty much everyone who's not rich or bought a home years ago. But it does offer interesting diversity in shops, organizations, etc. and it's so beautiful and outdoorsy. How does Asheville compare? Would anyone say it's like a cheaper version of Boulder? And when I say Boulder is expensive, I'm saying you can't even buy a cheap ugly condo for less than 150k. Maybe even 200k.
There was a thread awhile back comparing these two towns - maybe if you put in a search at the top it will come up.

There are differences, but basically the same issues you mentioned in Boulder you are going to find in Asheville.

Old 06-09-2007, 01:01 PM

187 posts, read 1,022,876 times
http://http://www.city-data.com/forum/north-carolina/60941-mountain-town.html

Old 06-10-2007, 06:24 PM

1,683 posts, read 8,210,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladyfish View Post
If I had those two choices, Boulder would win hands down! It is in a gorgeous part of the country. Asheville has become a mecca for all sorts of strange people. The last time I was there, I wondered if I was still in the south?!

Old 06-11-2007, 11:57 AM

648 posts, read 2,980,391 times
I think the fact that there are now at least two people trying to compare the two means there are many similarities. It's much greener in Asheville, and still more affordable. Asheville is MUCH less of a college town (UNC-Asheville is <4000 students), so there are fewer students around, as well as fewer well-paid professors and research jobs that you find in Boulder. Tourism is much more important to the Asheville economy, and there are many more retirees in the area than in Boulder. It's also much further to a major city than Boulder is to Denver.

Those things aside, you'll find a similar love for nature, beautiful surroundings, and progressive attitude in both towns.

Old 06-25-2007, 03:14 PM

2 posts, read 17,907 times
I was born in Boulder and lived there in the late 60s and early 70s. I have seen it grow and change. I lived in Fort Collins in the 90s and had Boulder as part of my territory. I have known the town and the people from childhood into my adult years. I love the atmosphere and the location and the lifestyle it represents.

I live in Asheville now and find a great deal of similarities. I'm a Colorado native at heart, but I have to tell you I love it hear. It like Boulder was in the early 80s.

Visit both and see what I mean. Either way, you can't go wrong.

Old 10-28-2007, 08:32 AM

1 posts, read 10,100 times
Default Asheville vs Boulder

Boulder is more expensive because the city has taken great strides in the growth management department. Since there are restraints on new development it has increased existing housing costs. There is also a lot of smart growth management in Boulder. The amount of biking trails within the city limits is exceptional. I have been to both cities and considered moving to both.....I ended up choosing Boulder. Asheville is a really great place, but it is not nearly as educated as Boulder. Nor does it have the job market for the younger generation as Boulder. There are a lot of entreprenurial type businesses in Boulder as well as a lot of high technology jobs. The weather is a lot sunnier and milder in Boulder too. They are both eccentric cities in different ways and the choice would be up to the individual.

Old 10-28-2007, 10:35 AM

5,660 posts, read 26,999,303 times
Climate Comparison

January Averages
Asheville - 46/27
Boulder - 46/19

April Averages
Asheville - 67/44
Boulder - 63/44

July Averages
Asheville - 81/60
Boulder - 87/56

October Averages
Asheville - 68/45
Boulder - 67/37

Precipitation
Asheville - 37.3"
Boulder - 19.9"

Weather Channel Data

Last edited by mm34b; 10-29-2007 at 01:06 PM..

Old 10-29-2007, 06:00 AM

1,242 posts, read 3,759,989 times
An advantage which Asheville has it that it is within one day's drive of the majority of the nation's population.

Old 10-29-2007, 07:46 AM

17,534 posts, read 39,121,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hapaleeretired View Post
An advantage which Asheville has it that it is within one day's drive of the majority of the nation's population.
I agree - this is a really MAJOR advantage. Also, I haven't been to Boulder, but from what I've heard on the forums and seen in pictures, it does not have nearly the lush vegetation that is found here, and that is something that is important to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina