Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2010, 04:53 PM

756 posts, read 1,653,381 times

Advertisements

My strategy is no secret. I offered my max. I hope he does read this and realize we pulled every penny out of the couch cushions to make that offer. If it isn't enough, then it isn't.

As for the seller not being able to afford to drop the price, what does he do with an empty house that deteriorates as it sits empty while he pays hundreds of dollars a month in mortgage payments? At some point in the not too distant future, he will have paid more in mortgage than the difference between his "bottom line" sales price and my "scape every penny to make it happen" offer.

How many thousand homes are out there? The price trend here is falling like a rock and sales are decreasing. The tax incentive will end and this summer we will see a rash of foreclosures. More mortgages are under water and 60+days past due than before the current crisis.

So read this if you want, Mr. builder/seller. We are still looking. We would love to give our hard-earned money to you for that nice house. But if you don't want our money, someone else does.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2010, 05:00 PM

17,533 posts, read 39,109,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by queenofbavaria View Post
good point !

I would also not feel too comfortable, discussing negotiation strategies with MLS and pics in a public forum. asheville is small and maybe the seller or someone he knows has read about your offer before you even signed it
It's sometimes amazing which way and how fast information go these days.
Bingo. I am amazed people post details of their business transactions here for all to see. I have always believed in "the Law of Silence." Don't want to ruffle any feathers here, but queenofbavaria pointed out what I had already been thinking.

It might be wise to play cards a little closer to the chest.

Old 04-26-2010, 05:06 PM

442 posts, read 1,509,171 times
Wait - Now we DON'T want Guy to keep us updated on his progress? I'm confused. He's being honest and straight-forward - what potential seller wouldn't want that? Hang in there, Guy.

Old 04-26-2010, 05:09 PM

17,533 posts, read 39,109,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loves mountains View Post
Wait - Now we DON'T want Guy to keep us updated on his progress? I'm confused. He's being honest and straight-forward - what potential seller wouldn't want that? Hang in there, Guy.
I didn't meant that Guy shouldn't update us on his progress - but maybe he shouldn't be posting the exact home and what kind of offer he is going to make - there are a lot of people who read these forums, and they just might be interested in the same place. If it were me, I wouldn't want to take that chance. Maybe the owner of that home reads these forums. Maybe someone else saw that home posted here and is interested themselves, you just never know.

I would just keep the exact details to myself if it were me. I wish Guy much luck in this, as always.

Old 04-26-2010, 05:17 PM

54 posts, read 122,352 times
I think you should invite all of us who have followed your tortuous search for the perfect abode to a housewarming! This is absolutely gorgeous!

Old 04-26-2010, 05:29 PM

1,530 posts, read 3,878,985 times
As I said, I had the exact same property in my 'cart', our realtor has created for us. And I am sure, I am not the only one.

I agree, it's interesting to follow this house hunting (even if I would not need a thread per house - oops, I guess, I am in trouble now ......), but I would not post single details.
Imagine someone thinks, wow, great house, good find, mister guy, I'll just offer a little more ....

Old 04-26-2010, 05:36 PM

729 posts, read 1,504,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by queenofbavaria View Post
good point !
I would also not feel too comfortable, discussing negotiation strategies with MLS and pics in a public forum. asheville is small and maybe the seller or someone he knows has read about your offer before you even signed it
It's sometimes amazing which way and how fast information go these days.
NO KIDDING! Information will travel at lightening speed when the right (or wrong) person gets a hold of it.

I remember when I was about 9 years old and at a greenhouse with my dad. Two people were discussing the divorce of a couple that I knew very well. My parents were good friends with them. When we left the building my dad said "see, that's why you don't talk about people in public". It's about the only words of wisdom I ever got from my VERY quiet old man.

Old 04-26-2010, 05:40 PM

729 posts, read 1,504,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyFriendly View Post
As for the seller not being able to afford to drop the price, what does he do with an empty house that deteriorates as it sits empty while he pays hundreds of dollars a month in mortgage payments? At some point in the not too distant future, he will have paid more in mortgage than the difference between his "bottom line" sales price and my "scape every penny to make it happen" offer..
Absolutely true. Sometimes it's a matter of pride for the seller. Sometimes it's also how the buyer approaches their offer. I had a buyer litterally say "this is all I feel your house is worth so this is my offer, take it or leave it". My seller said he would file bankrupcy before he sold when you put it that way. It really doesn't sound like you did that though. Sometimes these things just don't work out.

Old 04-26-2010, 06:10 PM

765 posts, read 2,567,711 times
And then a week or 2 ago we had a fellow on here who said he had just sold a spec house for the $1.5M he had listed it for just hoping to get $1M. So you never really know what the strategy is.

Right now sellers seem to have dollar signs in their eyes. One house 2 doors from me listed hers for $450K and another down the street listed one for $350K. Another fellow up the street had his listed over the winter for $450K but finally reality set in and he gave up. If any sell for near that much I'll put mine on the market and head for the hills. Most of these folks bought at the peak and paid top dollar for these houses and they actually think they're going to get that money back. I expect to have them as neighbors for years--Larry

Old 04-26-2010, 06:20 PM

756 posts, read 1,653,381 times
OK, no more posts. I'm taking a break.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina