Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas > Wichita
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2012, 01:07 PM

6 posts, read 11,355 times

Advertisements

My daughter is getting her first "grown" up job and will be based out of Wichita for about 6 months. Now being a southern girl, she knows nothing about Wichita, so I thought I would help her out to find out where to stay. She is 24 and single, likes the arts, vegitarian, likes "indy" music...typical liberal arts school graduate. She wants to be able to walk to places and loves farmer's markets since she likes to cook. Sounds like Old Town would be good for her (if safe) but not sure if there are extended stay hotels around there or executive housing in that area (furnished short term apartments).

So, what info should I impart to her to help ease her mind?

Thanks for any help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2012, 07:08 PM

34 posts, read 144,744 times
Old Town would be the best bet for pedestrian living, and it hosts a farmers' market every Saturday morning from May until October. Check out the following links.

Welcome to Old Town | OldtownWichita.com

http://www.oldtownfarmersmarket.com

Overall, the area is arguably safe and well-patrolled, but it is also a hub for the city's party scene with bars and nightclubs that can spur some after-hours crime, including fights, assaults, and even a shooting that happened in March. But it also features a large multi-screen theater complex, great restaurants, specialty shops, offices, condos, lofts, and apartments. Unfortunately, excluding the farmers' market, she'd have to drive to do her grocery shopping. Food for Thought, Green Acres Market, Fresh Market, and Natural Grocers, along with most of the large supermarkets, should all meet the needs of her vegetarian shopping list.

Other neighborhoods to consider are College Hill, Riverside, and the gentrifying Delano district directly west of downtown across the Arkansas River. These neighborhoods might not entirely meet the pedestrian criteria, but their all historic and cool, with residents that trend from longtime homeowners to young families to artsy, bohemian singles. Apartment rentals are available in these neighborhoods, but they're typically in small complexes or converted homes, so you'll have to look for them. I'm not sure about corporate apartments, but I suspect they're around, especially among the lofts in Old Town. Good luck!

Old 05-30-2012, 01:05 PM

Thanks! The place across the river sounds right up her alley. She lived in East Nashville and still hangs there alot and it is very much an artsy, bohemian area with some of the best restaurants and indy music in the Nashville area.

Old 05-30-2012, 05:18 PM
Sco

4,259 posts, read 4,923,605 times
If your description of your daughter is accurate, she is going to hate living in Wichita.

Old 06-01-2012, 08:03 AM

1,134 posts, read 3,193,771 times
Riverside is an older neighborhood where you can find some affordable rentals. It has a nice park and walking areas along the river.

Old 06-06-2012, 05:54 AM

Thanks. Sounds like she might be there for around 3 months or so. Se can handle it

Old 06-11-2012, 10:21 AM

Well she is leaving tomorrow for Wichita. Right now will be staying at Towneplace suites at 9444 East 29th St N, Wichita, KS. Hopefully she will enjoy her time there. Will only be in Wichita for a couple of months (maybe 3). Thanks for all the suggestsions. Hopefully she can find a cool little coffee shop that serves some veggie meals

Old 06-13-2012, 03:00 PM

34 posts, read 144,744 times
I'm not vegetarian, but my sister is, and I often eat vegetarian meals. We have some great Asian, South Asian, Middle Eastern and Mexican restaurants that can accommodate a vegetarian diet. A Passage to India (a restaurant, not the movie) near E. 21st & Woodlawn offers plenty of vegetarian dishes if she doesn't mind a little heat. Their lunch buffet is terrific! Her hotel isn't far from Green Acres Market at E. 21st. & Rock Rd. in the Bradely Fair shopping plaza. They're an organic grocery store that has a deli with many vegetarian options for carryout. Bella Luna, a restaurant with a Mediterranean-leaning menu, is in that same shopping plaza. N&J is a Lebanese cafe in southeast Wichita at 5600 E. Lincoln. It's affordable and has a loyal following among local vegetarians. Almost all the Thai, Vietnamese, Japanese and Korean restaurants offer dishes without meat or use Tofu as a meat substitute, as do some of the Chinese restaurants. The Chinese buffets, however, can be hit-or-miss for a vegetarian. Regardless, she shouldn't starve here. ;-)

Old 06-19-2012, 05:39 PM

1,134 posts, read 3,193,771 times
Lotus leaf cafe is the best vegetarian/vegan option in wichita.

Old 07-02-2012, 02:31 PM

37 posts, read 220,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sco View Post
If your description of your daughter is accurate, she is going to hate living in Wichita.
This is the most accurate reply ever posted on these forums. Ever.

Wichita is not a place for cultured artsy types. And the downtown area is a terrible place to live if you are concerned with safety. Lots of homeless and stabbings happen every weekend at the bars (even though the news does not report it). Riverside and College hill are safe for people, but not for valuables. Both areas are near "the hood" and that is were criminals go when they want to get a new TV or money for meth.

I would look into the Northwest part of town. It's a little more pricey but a better place to be for shopping and safety.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas > Wichita