Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas > Wichita
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2007, 01:11 AM

4,552 posts, read 15,029,225 times

Advertisements

so what is up in Wichita,im just curious since its a city I never hear about,is it growing,what is there to do,what are the people like,hows the weather, just wanting some info.

Old 10-19-2007, 09:42 AM

10,178 posts, read 11,166,444 times
Read through the threads - There's lot of information about Wichita. Personal, I'd never live there.

Old 10-24-2007, 07:50 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,766,887 times
Wichita is never heard about because nothing much ever happens there. They milked the BTK thing about all they could. The last thing that happened before that was the Holiday Inn sniper.

Old 11-08-2007, 05:13 PM

3 posts, read 77,595 times
well, recently, a huge theme park was built, but it rained all summer so no one came, and it went bancrupted!!! SUCKS!!!! It keeps growing. It really is a nice place to live.

Old 11-09-2007, 05:24 AM

16,259 posts, read 24,766,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilshortjordan View Post
well, recently, a huge theme park was built, but it rained all summer so no one came, and it went bancrupted!!! SUCKS!!!! It keeps growing. It really is a nice place to live.
The luck of Wichita. It almost never rains there during the summer but the summer WWW opens, it rains everyday!

Old 11-19-2007, 10:55 PM

5 posts, read 34,130 times
Wild West World was just bad business. It had nothing to do with the rain. He should have had enough operating capital to run for years without a profit, but he didn't have enough to make it three months. Dumb. Not that it really mattered anyway -- the park pretty much just sucked anyway. There's a reason they couldn't sell it off -- it's a bad idea.

Old 11-19-2007, 11:31 PM

5 posts, read 34,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desert sun View Post
so what is up in Wichita,im just curious since its a city I never hear about,is it growing,what is there to do,what are the people like,hows the weather, just wanting some info.
The population is growing, but growing slowly. Most of the growth is in the suburbs, like any city, but more so here because there aren't a lot of natural barriers to contain urban sprawl.

The weather may actually be a defining characteristic. It's erratic but generally mild. Today broke a high-temperature record of 79. I've got my window propped open right now at midnight in mid-November. Outside, it is 69 degrees and clear. Usually our high is somewhere in the 50s this time of year. In the summer it gets up to the low 100s a few times, but is generally mid- to upper-80s. In the winter, it will get down to highs in the teens a time or two but generally bottoms out with highs in the 30s and 40s and lows in the 20s in January. But the weather is usually windy. Usually strongly from the south or the north. ("Kansa" means something like "People/Land of the South Wind" in Sioux.)

Tomorrow's high is supposed to be 74. The day after that is forecasted at 43. The wind will be between 18 and 27 mph. And that's Wichita's weather in two sentences.

What there is to do depends on what you like to do.

Every final Friday of the month there is a gallery crawl wherein 25 or so galleries put on events. Thousands of people walk through them and ride some trollies to get to the different areas. There's a vibrant original live music scene, particularly if you're into rock-type music. (Oh, let's not throw the metal heads in with the art-house pop, and be mindful of all points in between.) If you're not much of a night owl and the music and the bar district (Old Town) isn't your thing, I highly recommend the Sedgwick County Zoo. It's not just the state's largest tourist attraction, but it's also on the leading edge of zoos in the world with some of the most up-to-date facilities and involvement in top-notch conservation efforts. (Jane Goodall was just here visiting the zoo again a few weeks ago. It's chimpanzee exhibit was one of the first (if not simply the first) she gave her seal of approval.) In the spring there is the River Festival, a crushing mass of hundreds of thousands of people enjoying one of the two brief periods of always-perfect weather. The other is in the fall in mid October, which is when you'll find the Tallgrass Film Festival, the Beer Festival, and a bunch of other goings ons. Most Octobers go by in such a blur that I'm not sure they happened until mid November. (I'm just now getting caught up.) And that's just the tip of the iceberg.

So, what are the people like? Like people in most places. However, there's a slight majority of religious conservatives who are generally nice people as long as you aren't trying to have a good time doing anything sinful. But it's not like they come out to the bars to tell you that, so what difference do they make? Obviously, for all of the above things to be going on, above all else, the people are just people.

Old 02-11-2008, 02:50 PM

1 posts, read 4,462 times
I live in Wichita and there was a sniper at Holiday Inn on September 5, 2006 at 8:46 PM CST it was horrible my Aunt was there but escaped thank the lord

Old 02-11-2008, 06:02 PM

61 posts, read 269,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desert sun View Post

Greater Wichita Convention and Visitors Bureau

Here is a link tothe Greater Wichita Convention Center. I sure get tired of all the negative comments. Wichita, like anywhere else, is what you make of it.

Old 02-11-2008, 10:10 PM

186 posts, read 1,061,942 times
We are checking out the Wichita area for a possible move. We were in the area last week for 4 days. Everyone was very nice!!!!! Loved the feel of the town. Don't listen to the negative energy on here!! It has very nice small town feel but it offers a lot more. I know small town, my hometown only has 5,000 people with the closest mall 2 hours away. People on this board need to be more greatful for what they have.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas > Wichita