Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas > Wichita
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2007, 10:28 AM

26,414 posts, read 46,591,155 times

Advertisements

If you must move to Kansas do not choose the very small towns. All of these small towns are losing most of their young people to larger urban areas at a very fast rate. If you pick a town with at least 20,000 people or more it will likely at least be a regional center with more jobs, a little more diversity, and more entertainment options.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2007, 06:35 AM

4 posts, read 16,522 times
I have a 7 hour drive to see family

Old 06-17-2007, 05:28 PM

30 posts, read 242,540 times
I was born in Ks, but I've lived in Ar, Co, Ok, and several foreign countries (military). I'm back in Ks now and plan to stay. I didn't know about the Oz theme in Sedan, but it's been a long time since I've been there (grandparents lived in Severy). I'm in Wichita now, but once they get utilities repaired I'm building a house in Greensburg and moving back to my hometown. After living in Frankfurt Germany, Little rock Ar., Kansas City Mo, and Wichita, I'm ready to go back to a small town. (Hey, it'll be brand new).

Old 06-17-2007, 06:45 PM

1,787 posts, read 3,850,541 times
If you don't love Kansas, there is no way to explain to you why you should love it or want to move here! I can't imagine living anywhere else. I live in a tiny town of less than a thousand people. The BEST thing about it is that there is nothing here! No reason for anybody to move here, no reason for tourists to come here, just good quality of life.

Old 06-21-2007, 02:47 PM

5 posts, read 31,151 times
Default Thank you

Hi brucep,
Sorry it's taken me so long to get back to you. I have not had much free time on the computer lately. Thank you for taking the time to write. I figured there wouldn't be a whole lot to do in Independence, especially me being born and rasied in Southern California. My kids have never been there so it will be good for them. They're happy as long as they can play outside and go swimming. My mom was born in Tyro..we drove through there once and you were out of Tyro just as soon as you entered...and she grew up in Coffeyville. She said she used to go to Independence on Friday nights because there was more to do there than Coffeyville. I am looking forward to the trip. I haven't seen my aunt in about 10 years and my cousins at least 20 years.

Thanks again for the ideas and take care!
mom-in-ca

Old 06-30-2007, 09:17 PM

11 posts, read 47,966 times
Isn't it funny how beauty, or "ugly", is in the eye of the beholder?

I have to echo the sentiments of NYMTman. My wife and I are life-long residents of Western New York State. We are moving to the KC metro in under a month from now. I'd imagine a life-long resident of somewhere "flat" like Kansas would consider this part of NY absolutely beautiful -- rolling hills, lots of trees, very pronounced seasons. But I don't really think about it.

To me "beautiful" is the plains of Kansas. Fell in love with it the first time I was out there. There is definitely a subtle beauty to it, and my wife sees it too. Yet I know there'd be any number of life-long Kansas residents who would read that and think we're nuts.

I think it's just part of human nature to desire change and to long more for the things we don't have than to appreciate what's right under our noses.

Old 07-03-2007, 04:12 AM

104 posts, read 688,291 times
Smile It's all relative...

you will enjoy where you live if you live where you enjoy life. If you're basically the type of person that is never content, then you will never be content wherever you live. All towns will look the same to you eventually.

KS vs MO? What's the difference? Depends on which part of the two states you are looking at. Obviously if you're right on the border you're not going to see any difference. Some folks love small town atmospheres, some folks love living near the KC area because they need to be able to have things to "do". On that note, we are all "doing" something all the time, it's just a matter of defining "doing". Some are content with a more laid-back lifestyle, while some need a more upbeat lifestyle...gambling, clubs, amusement parks, concerts....whatever.

A place to live becomes perfect when it is perfect for you.

Old 07-03-2007, 09:27 AM

11 posts, read 47,966 times
Well said!

Old 07-04-2007, 03:51 AM

153 posts, read 1,247,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gonesouth View Post
I have family in segwick county, and am thinking of moving there. I do not like kansas much at all, but would like to be near family.
I am in missouri and love it here, I have been in the title industry for years and know I can find work in wichita.
I am shocked at the high taxes and specials. I am trying to see what kansas has to offer, I also checked on food and utilitys and they are the same or more as the surrounding states.
I just do not see what kansas is offering as a draw to people to move there. it is an ugly state for the most part unless you like corn and cows and flat land. It just is as they say fly over country. Can any one give me some positives?
Where are you poster? Did you make this one up? No replies or comments from you...???

Old 07-07-2007, 04:36 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,766,887 times
If I was moving to Kansas, Wichita would not be on my list of places to move to. You really want to live in NE Kansas where the economy is diversified enough that, when things go south, you are not at the Salavation Army begging for a meal. This is the case in Wichita which is soley dependent upon the small aircraft industry for its survival. Ask anybody what life there was like in the early 70s, mid 80s or after 9-11. I would also consider Salina which has a well rounded economy and is cheaper than Wichita.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas > Wichita