Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota > Williston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2012, 08:04 AM

17 posts, read 28,809 times

Advertisements

My husband left California to find work in the construction field . Here he did framing is forklift certified and pipelaying. In Williston he found a job and housing very quickly however I feel like he's being taken advantage of. He works 9-10 hr days 7 days a week and gets paid $140 daily no benefits, no OT, they want to pay with 1099 and he drives his personal truck for work errands. This has caused many fights between us because I feel it's not worth it.

His arguments are he is getting free housing, the company promised him a stable job for the next few years, he is doing work he doesn't have much experience in therefore can't get paid much, he has been told daily rate is normal thing in Williston, his gas is being paid for so that's why he drives his own truck for errands, oh and " I should be happy our bills will be paid on time now". Can someone tell me am I in the wrong? Do I have very high expectations because of everything I read online? Is this avarage pay?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2012, 08:35 AM

154 posts, read 413,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by diamondsnriches View Post
My husband left California to find work in the construction field . Here he did framing is forklift certified and pipelaying. In Williston he found a job and housing very quickly however I feel like he's being taken advantage of. He works 9-10 hr days 7 days a week and gets paid $140 daily no benefits, no OT, they want to pay with 1099 and he drives his personal truck for work errands. This has caused many fights between us because I feel it's not worth it.

His arguments are he is getting free housing, the company promised him a stable job for the next few years, he is doing work he doesn't have much experience in therefore can't get paid much, he has been told daily rate is normal thing in Williston, his gas is being paid for so that's why he drives his own truck for errands, oh and " I should be happy our bills will be paid on time now". Can someone tell me am I in the wrong? Do I have very high expectations because of everything I read online? Is this avarage pay?
Daily rates used to be unheard of but are getting to be pretty common. With housing I guess I wouldn't complain but make sure to stash a good chunk of $ to pay the taxes. If he keeps his ears open and does some networking he'll most likely find something else. It happens all the time.

Old 08-27-2012, 09:13 AM

18,700 posts, read 42,074,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinj View Post
Daily rates used to be unheard of but are getting to be pretty common. With housing I guess I wouldn't complain but make sure to stash a good chunk of $ to pay the taxes. If he keeps his ears open and does some networking he'll most likely find something else. It happens all the time.
You are absolutely correct. It is going to cost him about $3. per hour for taxes, and SSI if he wants to keep that paid up. So that makes his take home about $12.50 an hour. How much does WalMart pay?

This is a really good deal..... for the company. They don't have to compute hours, they don't have to compute taxes, SSI, Workmans comp or anything else. The company is really making out on this deal. Your husband had better have his own insurance and it had better state that he is a private contractor, so that he is covered, should he get injured on the job. Does his automobile insurance agent know that he is using his vehicle for commercial transportation? If they find out, they won't cover him on an accident. They are paying him for gas? The going rate, not even in the oil patch, is $ .54 a mile for personal vehicles. That figure is derived to pay insurance, gas, maintenance, tires, etc... So they are not even coming close to compensation for the vehicle.

I would say that your husband hasn't thought it through very far. If he adds in all the things that he has to pay for, depending on how much he actually has to drive his vehicle for the company, but I think he's looking more at $10 per hour. That is not even close to construction pay outside of the oil boom.

Old 08-27-2012, 12:30 PM

26 posts, read 54,689 times
Yes, but where are the construction jobs outside the oil areas? Construction jobs in Michigan started ending in 2008 and now they are rare. $10 an hour isnt so bad when someone hasnt worked in a long time.

Old 08-27-2012, 12:48 PM

He is working in Williston doing construction for the schools.

Old 08-27-2012, 12:48 PM

746 posts, read 1,729,529 times
Keep in mind that the free housing works out to around $6 an hour if not more. If housing was not so expensive in Williston, his deal would be very poor. With the housing, somewhat understandable.

He could surely job shop and see where he comes out financially. The key is housing.

The insurance issue and workmen's comp need to be addressed somehow.

Old 08-27-2012, 07:12 PM

2,538 posts, read 4,713,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fourwinds View Post
Keep in mind that the free housing works out to around $6 an hour if not more. If housing was not so expensive in Williston, his deal would be very poor. With the housing, somewhat understandable.

He could surely job shop and see where he comes out financially. The key is housing.

The insurance issue and workmen's comp need to be addressed somehow.
So that works out to about $4 an hour. People need to think about these things. Is it really worth moving across the country to make the same amount that you would at any minimum wage job? If you already have housing where you currently live and help paying the bills, moving and then paying a good junk of your pay for housing gains you nothing in the end.

Old 08-30-2012, 03:30 AM

159 posts, read 351,017 times
I take it hes not interested in seeking higher pay outside of the construction field. I guess its better to do what U Love for Less is Better than doing what you Hate for More>

Old 08-30-2012, 06:30 AM

He's filled out a few applications for oilfield however he doesn't have a cdl so I think that has made it a little harder. But thanks to this forum he has finally stopped being stubborn and is looking for a new job. He was so desperate to get a job so we wouldn't fall behind on our bills he took the job first job offered to him.

Old 08-31-2012, 04:05 AM

159 posts, read 351,017 times
And that is exactly how one should go about getting ahead in this Boom There are jobs that dont require CDL, But haveing 1 is a Big Plus. Say for instance when construction slows down. There are temps that always need CDL drivers. Like Pro Drivers in Nor Cal And A couple in So Cal around Ontario,Berdo and Riverside++ But Cali stinks for driving Truck Way to many bad Laws ,Like my biggest one with Cali is 55 Mph the whole State in a big truck or evan a RV
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota > Williston
View detailed profiles of: