Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota > Williston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2010, 03:56 PM

4,818 posts, read 11,004,690 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris0681 View Post
Its too bad it sucks there and its too far away from everywhere..
What do you mean? I saw on a post by you that you live in northern Michigan and dislike it there as well as it too far away from cities. I assume you are lumping all rural areas together in that you prefer to be closer to bigger cities. That is fine and nothing wrong at all in living in a big city....but going on a forum and stating the above is ridiculous.

Dan
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2010, 02:27 PM

431 posts, read 1,606,228 times
This has really gotten bad in ND. It was on the news about the increasing homeless coming to ND hoping to find a job and/or place to live. People are coming without securing a job first and then finding that we don't have homeless shelters like they do in the larger cities. Pass it along that if you don't have a secure job, don't come to ND.

Old 05-07-2010, 02:29 PM

979 posts, read 3,669,556 times
Read where 60minutes is going to be in North Dakota on May 20th and shooting a segment on the oil boom and job and housing situation. Will be interesting to see how they portray ND.

Old 05-16-2010, 01:30 AM

9 posts, read 26,037 times
I know it's been awhile on this, but this was in the Williston Herald today.

http://www.willistonherald.com/articles/2010/05/15/news/doc4bef2eecd83a8376440912.txt (broken link)

I find it very interesting that the city owns several lots of land which they're not letting go of, meanwhile there are families living in hotels, campers, and their vehicles. My husband and I were so lucky, we were in the Candlewood from the time it opened and when one of my husbands co-workers decided to relocate to Montana my husband applied to become his roommate. He stayed with his co-worker for a month then the co-worker moved and we moved in. We were only in the Candlewood for about 3 months, but it was a nice hotel.

Hopefully Evans will be elected (there are a lot of Evans for Mayor signs around town) and she'll be able to push the city out of the fear that's gripped it and prevented it from growing like it needs to. I understand their fear, but having this many homeless people is a very serious problem.

Old 05-16-2010, 10:58 AM

But most of the city owned lots are for industrial? That's what I've read lately. As far as available lots for building homes, that is pretty much zilch. They say there are only around 50 lots available for building homes in the city limits, and those will be built on by the end of summer. I know the city is purchasing (or partnering) around 40acres of undeveloped land in the nw corner of the city and are going to work with a developer to develop it into residential. (going to the zoning and planning on the 17th of May) But as far as the city owning numerous city lots and not releasing them to developers?? I'd like to know where these lots are? Even one of the industrial areas in the eastern edge of Williston is being rezoned from light industrial to residential below the McVay school. (those would be city lots) but who wants to build a house with a bunch of wharehouses as your next door neighbor? I think Evans has lots of ideas, but the current city commision is not the reason more housing, retail or restaraunts are not being built in Williston. Retail and restaraunts developers look at history, potential, economics and demographics. The Potential is good, demographics are getting better, economics is good, but history is what scares most of them away. I personally would invest in retail (small shopping mall with a Hergerbers and Target as anchor stores) if I had the money. Hopefully some developers will step up to the plate. Maybe the 60minutes segment coming up will kick start interest from outside developers for retail. I think that New York Times article and mini documentary has sparked lots of interest in Williston.

Old 05-17-2010, 11:49 AM

9 posts, read 26,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roloff1976 View Post
But most of the city owned lots are for industrial? That's what I've read lately. As far as available lots for building homes, that is pretty much zilch. They say there are only around 50 lots available for building homes in the city limits, and those will be built on by the end of summer. I know the city is purchasing (or partnering) around 40acres of undeveloped land in the nw corner of the city and are going to work with a developer to develop it into residential. (going to the zoning and planning on the 17th of May) But as far as the city owning numerous city lots and not releasing them to developers?? I'd like to know where these lots are? Even one of the industrial areas in the eastern edge of Williston is being rezoned from light industrial to residential below the McVay school. (those would be city lots) but who wants to build a house with a bunch of wharehouses as your next door neighbor? I think Evans has lots of ideas, but the current city commision is not the reason more housing, retail or restaraunts are not being built in Williston. Retail and restaraunts developers look at history, potential, economics and demographics. The Potential is good, demographics are getting better, economics is good, but history is what scares most of them away. I personally would invest in retail (small shopping mall with a Hergerbers and Target as anchor stores) if I had the money. Hopefully some developers will step up to the plate. Maybe the 60minutes segment coming up will kick start interest from outside developers for retail. I think that New York Times article and mini documentary has sparked lots of interest in Williston.
I didn't go to the meeting, but apparently Evans brought along the paperwork showing where these lots were.

I think building houses is a mistake. I think that they should be building townhomes or apartment complexes. While my husband and I have an apartment, we'd gladly pay more in rent if we could get into a larger place. We don't really care if it's next to a warehouse, and with the number of families and people living in hotels and out of their cars and campers I don't think they'd really care either if it was next to warehouses.

As for retail, I don't think it'll expand here. The local WalMart has been hiring since the day I arrived as have a lot of other places. I just don't think there's enough people here to sustain a Target employment wise. But if they did build a Target here I'd be ecstatic!! I love Target!

Old 05-18-2010, 07:35 PM

581 posts, read 2,215,280 times
Please don't think that Evans is going to save Williston. Mayor Koeser has done more for Williston than anyone could have imagined. She's got some ideas, but having ideas and what reality is are two different things. I don't see her beating Koeser.

Williston is building apartments and townhomes. There are some houses being built, but the majority of building is apartments and townhomes (and trailerparks).

Until Williston gets some state and federal help it will not go gangbusters for building and expanding the city limits. As the 80's showed us, if Williston bears all the burden for developing it will not succeed.

Old 05-18-2010, 09:20 PM

I completely agree kychlo... I don't live in Williston, so I certainly can't say I know anything pro or con about Evans...but I think Mayor Koeser's track record and the way he has led Williston through the DOWN times, and now the BIG UP times... (with the help of a great group of city commisioners)...I can't see any reason anyone would even want to jump ship on their current leaders. I know most of my family and relatives back in Williston are big time Koeser supporters.

Old 05-18-2010, 10:08 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,065,654 times
Having "grown up" in an area that is boom and bust, I can say that the worst thing that can happen is to overbuild. I've seen it time and again and it puts a sour taste in peoples mouths. It looks like a boom and they build, build, build, and then houses aren't worth nothing. They have to look at a 10 year plan and design to that standard. To overshoot hurts more then it helps.

Old 05-19-2010, 07:20 AM

203 posts, read 602,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kychlo View Post

Until Williston gets some state and federal help it will not go gangbusters for building and expanding the city limits. As the 80's showed us, if Williston bears all the burden for developing it will not succeed.
One of the reasons I moved to ND is because I thought they weren't like NY and wanted the federal gov't to do everything. I'd prefer to see market forces at work. If there is a demand for houses/townhouses, etc... eventually someone will step in to fill that need.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota > Williston