Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2010, 05:42 AM

7 posts, read 17,308 times

Advertisements

Thanks to all the replies.. You are making it a lot easier to decide. Now we are taking a trip to check out some of the more recommended areas. So excited!!! Can't wait to get out of the crime infested concrete jungle. Man I hope you all have fire flies... been telling my kids about them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2010, 10:24 AM
r_k

836 posts, read 2,190,613 times
I think you'll find all parts of Wisconsin (expect possibly a few parts of Milwaukee and Madison) to be family friendly. Of the counties you listed, I would lean towards Jefferson or Sheboygan mainly because the rest may be a bit too rural (i.e. a bigger change from Florida). Fire Flies are common in rural Wisconsin (esp. the south, less sure about north) but only during June/July.

Old 09-21-2010, 10:41 AM

1,275 posts, read 3,416,146 times
Hey, I definitely don't think you're crazy because I'm doing the exact same thing! I live in South Florida(Fla native) and I HATE pretty much everything about it, however next yr I will be moving to the U.P., so it sounds like we have that in common, lol. WI is on our radar too in case the U.P. doesn't work out. We will be checking out Appleton and maybe Rhinelander. Sorry I don't have any real WI info but just wanted to wish you and your family good luck on your move!

Old 09-21-2010, 10:41 AM

647 posts, read 1,664,040 times
Kewaunee is a nice town in the summer, just because it is a big fishing hub. I think in the winters, it can be a bit of a ghost town. It is a nice area. Remember, that being close to the lake, your going to have cooler temps most of the time than if you were inland more.

Old 09-21-2010, 01:24 PM

4,362 posts, read 6,533,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catfeathers View Post
Jefferson County is nice...within range of either Milwaukee or Madison...good shopping close, and I have friend who lives in Jefferson and they love it's small town atmosphere.....
This one's a winner. Close proximity to both Madison and Milwaukee and has or is small town, regardless. The Outlet Mall up on 94 is a nice thing to have local. Also one of my favorite Drive-in Theaters is there in Jefferson, just east of town on Highway 18.

Lots of Jefferson County is farm land and the towns have small town appeal. Lake Mills to the East is really nice for a small town. Another thing since you have childeren, the Wisconsin Dells is not far for those Family get-a-ways.

Old 09-21-2010, 01:33 PM

15,946 posts, read 12,290,309 times
I'd pick jefferson county of the choices you have. Closer to Madison/Milwaukee, farther south so it's warmer, not too far from either the Dells or Lake Michigan. Choice number 2: Green lake County. Choice number 3: Manitowac/Sheboygan counties.

Old 09-21-2010, 05:17 PM
r_k

Quote:
Originally Posted by hankejp View Post
...Remember, that being close to the lake, your going to have cooler temps most of the time than if you were inland more.
It should be noted the above is true in Spring and Summer. During the Fall and Winter the effect is reversed, i.e. it is colder away from the lake.

Old 09-21-2010, 06:26 PM

2,966 posts, read 3,917,208 times
How about Calumet? You could live in Darboy (well Harrison actually, but it's considered Darboy) and that would still be considered Calumet Co. Most areas in C.C are less than a half hour away from Appleton. I think a lot of people forget that.

Old 09-21-2010, 08:07 PM

8,289 posts, read 23,115,233 times
Trust me stay away from Jefferson, Fort Atkinson is a lot better. Take this from someone who moved to Fort and saw everybody who lived in Jefferson, not like Jefferson. Jefferson is the butt of all jokes in Jefferson County. Jefferson is the Cudahy of Jefferson County and Fort Atkinson is like the Grafton of Jefferson County.

Old 09-22-2010, 12:43 AM
r_k

I think most people are talking about Jefferson County, not the City of Jefferson. Lake Mills is another possible option within Jefferson County.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin