Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2007, 12:07 PM

2 posts, read 4,197 times

Advertisements

I am a transplant--but have been a Midwest Girl all of my life--and I love it here. I live in the La Crosse area--and it is one of the most beautiful areas in the world (we have to look beyond the flood waters and the mudslides right now). I think the issue you are speaking of has it's merits, but it depends on the situation. I travel quite a bit for my job--and find that the folks in the cities and towns across the state are typically very friendly. I have found that the one thing that makes the hair stand up on people's backs in Wisconsin are people who come here from, typically, Chicago--buy up land that might be the typical Wisconsin farm--and visit on weekends.

Wisconsinites are typically hometown, hard working people--who may have had roots here for generations. They are seeing high-rollers come into town, inflate land prices by purchasing homes/farms that the typical person probably cannot begin to afford----but there is no support by those people beyond patronizing the local grocery store once every few weekends.

I think the distaste comes from fear...are big city people trustworthy? How is our little town going to survive if a large portion of our municipality ends up as "vacation" land? Small businesses depend on each resident to spend money with them in order to survive, they blow into town and blow out of town--there is no community interest--and on and on. I think if this is the case, one has little hope with the rurals for these reasons. From what I gander, this is probably not your situation....

I consider Wisconsin my home--and once here and involved--you cannot NOT get Packer fever (you just wait, it will happen to you too!). I have become involved in my community--and I have a close-knit circle of friends. I think you will get there. I don't think it is necessarily the "people of Wisconsin"---at least from the standpoint of not liking you for being a transplant........I think you just need to give it some time. It's kind of like dating.....you don't find someone you really click with right away. It takes a bit of networking. Oh--and one other thing....wait until winter. Some of us keep the heavy socializing until the weather gets cold!

Good luck to you.....you have nothing to worry about!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2007, 09:32 PM

32 posts, read 109,814 times
Good luck to you, I hope you find some happiness in this wonderful state. Do give it a chance.

Old 09-01-2007, 09:49 AM

1 posts, read 2,229 times
I have been here for 5 years, (Eau Claire) and I am ready to leave. Very cliquey, people are pleasant but generally unapproachable, they stick to their own. We participate in lots of extracurriculars and have met people through those...but no one will socialize otherwise... "Activity associates" I refer to these people as. Schools are very cookie cutter, yes the national stats are very good, but zero on individuality is encouraged and zero critical thinking is taught. I find the schools want and encourage paper doll cutout kids. Very beige community. ??? I wonder why alcoholizm here is very predominant, teen pregnancy and teen suicide rates are high for this region of Wisconsin and Nationally. But the national education stats are high..good trade-off.

Old 09-07-2007, 08:40 PM

26 posts, read 79,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunflower53072 View Post
I think I was somewhat spoiled having spent the previous 4 years in a suburb of Columbus, Ohio where I had no trouble making friends. Many were also transplants from the east coast like myself. The natives were actually out numbered and were used to making friends with new people. I think I expected the same here and was surprised at how long it is taking to make real friends. Everyone is very nice and polite, but do not really include us in much(including our kids). I am a big volunteer at my kids' school and that has helped somewhat, as well as, being a tennis player, starting and running a neighborhood book group etc.. I think it just may take more time.
It will absolutely take a long time...

I have joined many activities since moving here in 2003, and I am STILL not being invited into peoples' homes... Being from NY and having had the experiences I've had - where I was always able to make friends easily, I just ASSUMED it would be the same way for me here, and it's been the most difficult transition I've EVER had to make.

Sadly though I have had a really difficult time of getting a job here, too, and that's been very frustrating for me. I stay at home now with our 16m. old, but the jobs in education are just not plentiful - aside from the fact that I received my training/experience in NY - including a MSEd.

It's what you make of it. Find things that interest you and try to make friends that way. Just realize it may take a really long time... Wisconsin people just aren't quite as warm and welcoming as our East Coast friends... :-(

Old 09-07-2007, 08:44 PM

26 posts, read 79,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pawsandpines View Post
I am a transplant--but have been a Midwest Girl all of my life--and I love it here. I live in the La Crosse area--and it is one of the most beautiful areas in the world (we have to look beyond the flood waters and the mudslides right now). I think the issue you are speaking of has it's merits, but it depends on the situation. I travel quite a bit for my job--and find that the folks in the cities and towns across the state are typically very friendly. I have found that the one thing that makes the hair stand up on people's backs in Wisconsin are people who come here from, typically, Chicago--buy up land that might be the typical Wisconsin farm--and visit on weekends.

Wisconsinites are typically hometown, hard working people--who may have had roots here for generations. They are seeing high-rollers come into town, inflate land prices by purchasing homes/farms that the typical person probably cannot begin to afford----but there is no support by those people beyond patronizing the local grocery store once every few weekends.

I think the distaste comes from fear...are big city people trustworthy? How is our little town going to survive if a large portion of our municipality ends up as "vacation" land? Small businesses depend on each resident to spend money with them in order to survive, they blow into town and blow out of town--there is no community interest--and on and on. I think if this is the case, one has little hope with the rurals for these reasons. From what I gander, this is probably not your situation....

I consider Wisconsin my home--and once here and involved--you cannot NOT get Packer fever (you just wait, it will happen to you too!). I have become involved in my community--and I have a close-knit circle of friends. I think you will get there. I don't think it is necessarily the "people of Wisconsin"---at least from the standpoint of not liking you for being a transplant........I think you just need to give it some time. It's kind of like dating.....you don't find someone you really click with right away. It takes a bit of networking. Oh--and one other thing....wait until winter. Some of us keep the heavy socializing until the weather gets cold!

Good luck to you.....you have nothing to worry about!
Packer fever does NOT happen to everyone... I say as I have walked into Walmart before and wondered why people were gathered in the A/V section of the store... it was great... I was able to get a lot more shopping done!! You all go watch your Packers. I'm STILL waiting for the YES! channel to come to Charter's lineup. I still miss my Yankees!

Old 09-07-2007, 10:49 PM

8 posts, read 39,675 times
I moved to Florida back in 1981 from WI and it still doesn't feel like home! I HATE it here and wish I could go back and feel and see the green grass of home! There's NO place like home....

I have made but only a couple friends here that are worth a darn. The rest are a bunch of con artists!!!

Old 09-09-2007, 07:03 PM

7,284 posts, read 16,687,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunflower53072 View Post
Just wondering how many of you are transplants from somewhere else and if you now like Wisconsin? I love the scenery and beauty here, but find it very hard to break into the inner circle of most people who were born and raised here.
IMO, it is a result of the area. The Lake Country is more "hometown" than transient. If you find an area with a lot of transplants you'll find more social people. The city is more cosmopolitan in general. There is the "hometown" element, but it isn't nearly as prevalent in the transient areas of the city. Not even close. Some of the suburbs are virtually impenetrable.

Identify an area where people don't exhibit the classic Wisconsin accent.(Listen to pronunciation of vowels a, e, o, and u. Think Frances McDormand in the movie "Fargo".) Where that is minimized, you'll find a more worldly crowd. Generally more transient, and perhaps more-traveled residents are a bit more open to meeting new people who aren't like them, or aren't from the area. It is not the whole state, just large parts of it. Try New England, people will shut you out in a heartbeat. Also other cities are bad like that as well, Milwaukee is not the only city, and Wisconsin is not the only state like that. There are suburbs and parts of the city where many others are from elsewhere, but I see the Lake Country as a more hometown type area. As you move east to Shorewood, Milwaukee's East Side, downtown Milwaukee, and some parts of neighboring suburbs, it is a lot more transplant-friendly. Chicago has pockets of sixth generation die-hards too.

By comparison, my current primary residence in Scottsdale, AZ, is a lot more mixed in terms of peoples' points of origin. It isn't uncommon to hear the question "So, where are you from originally?". I moved from Washington DC not that long ago, and that was the same. Everyone was from elsewhere.

Old 10-16-2007, 04:14 PM

Location: right now i live in Iowa, but in June i will be moving to Grafton, WI
6 posts, read 20,402 times
We just moved here the end of June and I get what you are saying. Most of the people that I have met and really clicked with have been transplanters as well. The ppl that have been born and raised here seem to be very reserved and to themselves. I do have to say that I did misjudge someone as being snobby, but they were just shy and trying to mesure me up as a person to see what I was like. I can't say I blame them because I tend to do the same thing. I have noticed that getting involved with school activities and getting my oldest daughter out and about has helped also. This has helped me meet new people.

Old 10-16-2007, 07:31 PM

9 posts, read 28,473 times
I am a transplant from Mexifornia (San Diego, CA) where I was born and raised. But I escaped there 7 months ago and couldn't be happier.

I LOVE Wisconsin!! A couple of you have said the winters never end here, but I arrived in late April, and the weather was beautiful from the day I arrived all the way up to now. I love the fall weather!! I know winter will be cold, but I don't believe it lasts for 8 months as one of you said.

I found it very difficult to find a job here, and ended up taking a job that has nothing to do with what I'm trained in and my education. To put it bluntly, I took a step down. But I don't care; everything else in this city is so wonderful, that it's worth it.

Southern California used to be a wonderful place to live. But the illegal immigrants from Mexico and Central America have taken over, and now the once lovely middle-class neighborhoods resemble the 3rd-world slums of Mexico. There are chickens running around in the streets, laundry hanging all over the yards, 20-30 people living in 2-bedroom houses, filth everywhere, and rising crime like you wouldn't believe.

Anyway, I think the people here are lovely (I live in Oshkosh). They've been very friendly and very welcoming to me.

Old 10-17-2007, 02:59 PM

237 posts, read 1,081,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FormerMexifornian View Post
I am a transplant from Mexifornia (San Diego, CA) where I was born and raised. But I escaped there 7 months ago and couldn't be happier.

I LOVE Wisconsin!! A couple of you have said the winters never end here, but I arrived in late April, and the weather was beautiful from the day I arrived all the way up to now. I love the fall weather!! I know winter will be cold, but I don't believe it lasts for 8 months as one of you said.

I found it very difficult to find a job here, and ended up taking a job that has nothing to do with what I'm trained in and my education. To put it bluntly, I took a step down. But I don't care; everything else in this city is so wonderful, that it's worth it.

Southern California used to be a wonderful place to live. But the illegal immigrants from Mexico and Central America have taken over, and now the once lovely middle-class neighborhoods resemble the 3rd-world slums of Mexico. There are chickens running around in the streets, laundry hanging all over the yards, 20-30 people living in 2-bedroom houses, filth everywhere, and rising crime like you wouldn't believe.

Anyway, I think the people here are lovely (I live in Oshkosh). They've been very friendly and very welcoming to me.
Wait until February!!

I love WI, too. I currently live in FL (wish I could take THAT decision back!) and I miss the friendliness of Midwesterners. I never felt "out of place" or uncomfortable while out 'n about town when I lived in WI.

I agree with the other posters, though, who complained about having difficulty in making friends. My family and I moved there when I was 12. My parents found it difficult to cultivate close friendships. Most of the native Wisconsinites are very close to the friends they grew up with and their families. I think every person I knew in WI was either best friends with their sister/brother or their cousin. This isn't a bad thing, it's just presents a hurdle.

When I moved from Green Bay the area was growing and changing quickly. I think as the cities in WI become more diverse there will be an increase in the "Friendly Factor" that goes further than the general welcome-ness that's always been there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin