Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2012, 06:49 AM

8,050 posts, read 10,640,313 times

Advertisements

I will be leaving for Wisconsin in one week and will be touring the state for about 10 days. I have never been to Wisconsin before, other than riding through on the Amtrak Train once.

Where are the most quintessential Wisconsin rural areas located? I mean the dairy and farming counties, with the red barns, grain silos, small towns etc. My trip will include stops in Stevens Point, Two Rivers, Appleton, Eau Claire, and La Crosse, but I really want to see the most scenic rural parts of the state as well.

Thanks for any and all suggestions!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2012, 03:32 PM

1,148 posts, read 3,558,177 times
Head up north of Stevens Point to the Rib Mountain/Wausau area and go up to hill to Rib Mountain State Park and check out the breathtaking views. This give a little different view/perspective of the farmland below. The leaves are changing color and it's absolutely spectacular. There is an observation tower where you will see the lay of the land (big barns, silos and pastures below) and this may help you determine where to go next.
Here is a link to the park website:
Rib Mountain State Park - Wisconsin DNR

Old 09-22-2012, 05:36 PM

Thanks Kandy - I will check that out. I will be in that area for a day or two anyway.

I would welcome other suggestions as well!

Old 09-22-2012, 06:27 PM

142 posts, read 417,493 times
While in the Eau Claire area, also check out Chippewa Falls and Menomonee Falls. You can tour the Leinenkugel's Brewery while in Chippewa Falls. The fall colors are starting to turn in that part of the state and that's a special time in WI.

I grew up in Oshkosh which is near Appleton. The Oshkosh public museum and the Paine Art Center along with the EAA museum are all worthwhile.

Be sure to enjoy a famous Wisconsin Friday Fish Fry. I recommend the lake perch.

Old 09-22-2012, 07:38 PM

311 posts, read 634,823 times
Granite Peak Ski area has Fall Chairlift Rides.

Fall Chairlift Rides

$8 per person - round trip (when you get on at the base of Granite Peak)

Saturday/Sunday 11AM – 4PM

September 29/30
October 6/7
October 13/14
Hours of operation are subject to change without notice due to inclement weather.
All children 12 and under must be accompanied by an adult. Children ages 2-5 and under are free.

Granite Peak Ski Area

Old 09-22-2012, 09:35 PM

141 posts, read 284,992 times
I would highly recommend the Baraboo area with a stop at Devils Lake. The whole drifltless area is a charm.

Old 09-23-2012, 06:06 AM

I appreciate the suggestions very much. Just added Baraboo, Rib Mountain and several other of your recommendations to my stops.

Where are the majority of the dairy farms?

Old 09-24-2012, 12:15 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,213,286 times
The dairy farms are pretty much everywhere throughout the southern half of the state. The more scenic ones will be in or near the driftless area, which is pretty much everything west of I-94 including Baraboo, La Crosse, and Eau Claire. Given the fact that your tour will be covering a huge chunk of the state, you'll see plenty of dairy farms by default as long as you use state/county roads for your travels rather than interstates.

Last edited by Drover; 09-24-2012 at 12:23 AM..

Old 09-24-2012, 05:22 AM

3,961 posts, read 11,025,524 times
depending on what route you end up mapping out, the stretch of 35 from Prairie du Chien to LaCrosse (along the Mississippi River) has some real nice views. There are times one can view bald eagles along that stretch (and even in Sauk City) though i dont recall if this time of year works for that or not.
As noted, Devils Lake State Park has some beautiful views if you take some of the trails up to the top of the bluffs ( most trails are easy enough), and at this time of year it can be cooler which helps on the mosquitos as well.

i'd say overall if you are running around the southern half of the state like mentioned, you'll end up on state hiways and will be able to see plenty of farms and some fall color along the way. Though you've likely been able to see nice views and colors in NC especially as you get into the mountains, there are plenty of spots in WI that can offer beautiful sites as well. Enjoy the trip!

Old 09-24-2012, 06:11 AM

947 posts, read 2,424,198 times
Fall colors are starting up north-my husband was there this weekend. The area up in the Hayward, Spooner area by the Namekagon River is beautiful! Bayfield/Superior and the state parks in the area have waterfalls. It is so pretty and fairly unspoiled here.
If you go into Spooner, there is a train ride you can take that goes along the Namekagon.
Minoqua, Boulder Junction area is also beautiful, and is off season for tourists.
Door County is a must.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin