Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2012, 08:49 PM

29,391 posts, read 55,596,323 times

Advertisements

OSHKOSH, Wis., Feb. 27 (UPI) -- Authorities in Wisconsin said participants in an annual ice fishing contest were left searching for rides home when 36 parked vehicles fell through the ice.

Organizers of the Battle on the Bago, an annual ice fishing competition on Lake Winnebago, said participants were warned against parking on the ice, but some did it anyway because they could not find anywhere else to leave their vehicles Saturday, the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel reported Monday.

Read more: 36 parked cars fall through the ice - UPI.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2012, 09:31 PM

8,289 posts, read 23,111,797 times
Uh idiot award awarded to 36+ people. Lets see we have had 40 degree days for how long now and its the 4th warmest winter ever. How dumb do you have to be! You get what you deserve, morons!

Old 02-28-2012, 09:21 PM

483 posts, read 1,222,060 times
I've never understood why people drive on the ice. It seems like such a "dumb hick" thing to do. ESPECIALLY this winter, considering how mild it has been and how many days have been above freezing. Darwin Award for these idiots.

Old 03-01-2012, 04:07 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,185,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nidex View Post
I've never understood why people drive on the ice. It seems like such a "dumb hick" thing to do. ESPECIALLY this winter, considering how mild it has been and how many days have been above freezing. Darwin Award for these idiots.
This is why I do it:

__

Tens of thousands of cars and trucks are driven on ice every year without incident. This year though, extra precautions were in order and it sounds like these mooks didn't follow any of them.

Last edited by Drover; 03-01-2012 at 04:16 AM..

Old 03-01-2012, 06:08 AM

3,961 posts, read 11,022,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
This is why I do it:

__

Tens of thousands of cars and trucks are driven on ice every year without incident. This year though, extra precautions were in order and it sounds like these mooks didn't follow any of them.
yep, we used to drive on the ice all the time up there... though paid attn to the thickness and temps before doing so (well, at least we did when the beverages were not flowing...). Used to love watching the ice races on the local lakes, including powder puff runs to see the ladies race around.
with common sense fun can be had.

Old 03-01-2012, 03:23 PM

483 posts, read 1,222,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
This is why I do it:

__

Touche sir, touche. I love motorsports in general, but that looks like a lot of fun. Reminds me of being 16 and driving around during snowstorms just to see how far I could slide it out and still recover.

Hell, who am I kidding, I still slide around in the snow on purpose all the time. Though now I keep it to emptyish streets and parking lots.

Old 03-02-2012, 12:28 PM

27,345 posts, read 27,397,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milwaukee City View Post
Uh idiot award awarded to 36+ people. Lets see we have had 40 degree days for how long now and its the 4th warmest winter ever. How dumb do you have to be! You get what you deserve, morons!
Well I personally wouldnt call them idiots, personally, but more like common sense should have kicked in. Its been noted for a long time we're in the middle of the 4th warmest winter ever, here in WI, and when temps warm up to the 40s, you might want to reconsider parking on ice anywhere, forget the fishing contests, is it really worth it. Lake Winnebago has had more than its normal share this winter for thin ice incidents. Id never drive across ice over any lake at any given time...but thats just my 2c.

Old 03-04-2012, 04:38 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,977,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nidex View Post
I've never understood why people drive on the ice. It seems like such a "dumb hick" thing to do..
To get to the good ice fishing. Duh.

Or, In Michigan or Canada, to get across the river or to the island where you live after the ferry closes for the season.

Old 03-04-2012, 07:19 PM

27,345 posts, read 27,397,752 times
Well we made the news anyway. Actually I wasnt sure where to post this but thought Id share.
For those who arent familiar with WI, but cruise this forum, the 'battle of the bago' is referring to Lake Winnebago....

Wisconsin Sets New World Record for Most Vehicles Falling Through the Ice | Field & Stream

Old 03-04-2012, 09:44 PM

4,229 posts, read 17,612,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wisconsin woman View Post
Well we made the news anyway. Actually I wasnt sure where to post this but thought Id share.
For those who arent familiar with WI, but cruise this forum, the 'battle of the bago' is referring to Lake Winnebago....

Wisconsin Sets New World Record for Most Vehicles Falling Through the Ice | Field & Stream

Very nice catch Wisconsin Woman!

I've only driven on ice once, it was on Lake Wisconsin I was 17... I had my Dodge Dakota with my brother and best friend. There must have been 50 trucks out there so I thought why can't I go out? I did..... And made it back to shore safely. This winter I was on Blaisdell Lake up in Winter, Wisconsin. We were ice fishing for the weekend. It was a good half mile out. All we had was a sled with shanty attached to it. That was a killer pulling it. Needless to say we got set up and I decided to head back to the cabin by myself. I got closer to shore, and there are lots of springs in this lake. I'm not even 5' away and my right leg goes in then my left. It was about waist deep, however the mud was the trouble in getting my legs pulled out. Did I freak out? Yes. Always play it safe. Also, this lake was snow covered about 8" of snow on top of the ice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin