Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2012, 07:00 AM

21 posts, read 57,942 times

Advertisements

I'm considering other towns, cities in WI. I want out of the NE valley area and into the south central area because it's a bit earlier for spring, longer summer, and might have work for me. I also know the winters will be colder, but that's the way it is away from the water.

I am wondering where people in the Madison area go to live in affordable homes. They have to get out of Dane County, so where do most Madison people go? I looked into Baraboo, but I'm not so sure Circus City is all that open to Madison refugees. Am I wrong? Where is there a nice mix of people in an area outside of Madison but still within short trip distance? And do these Madison people have any influence on these towns or are they just bedroom communities. I'm a bit tired of being unwelcome in small towns who see "outsiders" as a nuisance.

Thinking, wondering and looking. Any comments appreciated. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2012, 11:22 AM

2,987 posts, read 10,135,910 times
I think most people that want to live outside of Madison for one reason or another look to the outlying communities within the county because the farthur you go, the cheaper it gets, but the more you spend in gas, so it is a toss up.

For you, I would suggest Janesville. It isn't a small town, it isn't dependent on Madison, it is a short 45 minute commute on the interstate...it has it's own services and amenities if you don't want to drive to Madison....and of course it is more affordable.

Inside Dane County, Sun Prairie and Mount Horeb come to mind as having affordable options available. These are two communities where a large amount of people commute to Madison and therefor are very influenced by Madison. Other than them, the remaining small, rural towns would be cheap if you could fnd housing that suits your need.

Old 06-17-2012, 01:56 PM

8,289 posts, read 23,111,797 times
I think you have it backwards, refugees go TO madison

Old 06-17-2012, 02:33 PM

Thanks, Chelito 23. I'm familiar with Mount Horeb and Janesville, somewhat.

Old 06-18-2012, 10:17 AM

3,409 posts, read 4,888,406 times
Deerfield and Lake Mills are affordable, and reasonably close.

Old 06-21-2012, 07:56 PM

Thanks for the two ideas, Mrs. Cool.

Old 06-23-2012, 02:21 PM

164 posts, read 559,561 times
Are you looking for the same mindset and culture as Madison? What do you consider a short drive? What do you consider affordable housing?

Old 06-25-2012, 09:22 AM

1,201 posts, read 2,415,796 times
We presently live in Madison and we are considering moving to some of the neighboring communities due to schools, property prices, taxes, etc. I don't love the idea of voluntarily signing up for a longer commute but it would be doable most of the time with a vehicle that gets decent MPGs. However, I am afraid that a longer commute in winter snow would only serve to reinforce the things that I don't like about Madison and WI in general.

Old 06-25-2012, 10:39 AM

4,229 posts, read 17,612,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragnar View Post
We presently live in Madison and we are considering moving to some of the neighboring communities due to schools, property prices, taxes, etc. I don't love the idea of voluntarily signing up for a longer commute but it would be doable most of the time with a vehicle that gets decent MPGs. However, I am afraid that a longer commute in winter snow would only serve to reinforce the things that I don't like about Madison and WI in general.

I'd like to ask what surrounding communities are you and your family looking at?

Old 06-25-2012, 11:48 AM

160 posts, read 397,802 times
I know a couple in the same situation that moved to the Edgerton/Newville area. They were looking to get out of Dane County for the property tax savings. Those are mostly bedroom communities to Madison and Janesville (especially Newville, which isn't much of a town at all), so not very urban.

This sentence concerns me a little:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TreeFarm1 View Post
I'm a bit tired of being unwelcome in small towns who see "outsiders" as a nuisance.
I have honestly never lived anywhere like this, nor do I know anywhere that treats new residents like this, and I'm from eastern WI. My only advice is that if you move somewhere with the mindset that you're an outsider, you will never feel like you belong there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin