Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2011, 07:23 PM

24 posts, read 33,060 times

Advertisements

Is Wisconsin a business-friendly state in general? In terms of cost-of-doing-business, general work force, economy, etc?

I know it's a very broad question, but I'm hoping someone here has some experience starting/owning/operating some kind of business in WI and would not mind sharing their experiences..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2011, 08:59 PM

361 posts, read 862,064 times
Wisconsin has good workers but everything is up in the air right now with our new Governors budget bill, money will be tight for many people. The areas of the state very in interests so check the area out that you like to see if there is any interest in the business you want to start.

Old 03-04-2011, 08:39 AM

711 posts, read 1,689,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by olivertheworld View Post
Is Wisconsin a business-friendly state in general? In terms of cost-of-doing-business, general work force, economy, etc?

I know it's a very broad question, but I'm hoping someone here has some experience starting/owning/operating some kind of business in WI and would not mind sharing their experiences..
If you're looking to put up a wind farm, WI is currently very unfriendly. If you would like to put your business on any wetlands, the current administration might pass a special bill to exempt you from any DNR requirements.

However, this type of treatment will change in the next election. Is that business friendly?

Old 03-09-2011, 01:29 PM

76 posts, read 110,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse276 View Post
If you're looking to put up a wind farm, WI is currently very unfriendly. If you would like to put your business on any wetlands, the current administration might pass a special bill to exempt you from any DNR requirements.

However, this type of treatment will change in the next election. Is that business friendly?

Several recent studies show that WI is somewhat business friendly, however, under our current administration, this will greatly improve.
Thank God we have a new administration that is pro-business, pro-growth, (sounds pretty progressive doesnt it?) unlike the previous administration and its bleading heart, bald headed reject Governor that was only interested in taxing the residents to death, and businesses, as well as making it near impossible and outrageously expensive for them to operate. So, tree huggers aside, go ahead and build your business on a wetland...my condolences to the few little fisheys and frogys that may perish.
This treatment of pro-business will help WI to remain competitive for the next eight years, so now is the time to move your business here! Fortunately for us, our state has finally returned to red last November, so we at least have hope again!

Old 03-09-2011, 02:15 PM

5,706 posts, read 9,632,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBeluksee View Post
Fortunately for us, our state has finally returned to red last November,
You mean IN the red.

Old 03-09-2011, 03:55 PM

2,663 posts, read 3,860,262 times
Ohhhh boy - here we go again!!

Old 03-09-2011, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Several recent studies show that WI is somewhat business friendly, however, under our current administration, this will greatly improve.
Thank God we have a new administration that is pro-business, pro-growth, (sounds pretty progressive doesnt it?) unlike the previous administration and its bleading heart, bald headed reject Governor that was only interested in taxing the residents to death, and businesses, as well as making it near impossible and outrageously expensive for them to operate. So, tree huggers aside, go ahead and build your business on a wetland...my condolences to the few little fisheys and frogys that may perish.
This treatment of pro-business will help WI to remain competitive for the next eight years, so now is the time to move your business here! Fortunately for us, our state has finally returned to red last November, so we at least have hope again!
'recent studies'... haha, were those taken directly from Belling's blog?

Anyway, ask a wind farm developer how pro-business our state is or ask a train manufacturer.

I would equate a pro-business governor as someone who gets rid of special treatment, special taxes, or special tax breaks for certain industries.

I would say that creating an equal playing field for business and taking politics out of how businesses are treated, would create the most pro-business climate. I don't see that happening.

I see the state turning so that you can only get the government to work for you if you have the money or clout to get legislation passed. I see the tax burden being placed on business unevenly... letting businesses that hire a bunch of accountants pay nothing, while small and medium firms are tapped out. I see businesses that can afford an army of lobbyists, get to write the laws, making it harder for most businesses to prosper.

Personally, I'm looking forward to the recall election in January. Russ Feingold would make a great governor.

Old 03-09-2011, 09:06 PM

1,364 posts, read 1,929,238 times
I recently moved to Wisconsin so my spouse could pursue her career goals.
I agree that Wisconsin is business friendly,...but what state in this economy isn't? Building costs and interest rates are pretty much standard across the board. What Wisconsin offers is a large customer base. Having income secured by moving here is more than enough incentive to pack the bags.

Last edited by amerifree; 03-09-2011 at 10:16 PM..

Old 03-10-2011, 01:32 PM

76 posts, read 110,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse276 View Post
Personally, I'm looking forward to the recall election in January. Russ Feingold would make a great governor.

PLEASE HOLD YOUR BREATH!

Old 03-10-2011, 03:08 PM

Quote:
PLEASE HOLD YOUR BREATH!
I don't think I'll have to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin