Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2009, 04:56 PM

3 posts, read 13,628 times

Advertisements

im scared to ask, but have you found someone? im moving out there this spring and am worried that ill have to set aside gas money for milwaukee to keep my head from looking like a hot mess.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2009, 03:43 PM

3 posts, read 15,814 times
Talking Moving too Green Bay

Hi I am considering a job offer in Green Bay the job sounds very good, but the demographics worry me. I am not concerned for my wife and myself more my children 13 yrs old and 10 yrs old. I don't want my children to go to school and deal with racism i fear the affects it would have on them please write me back and give me feed back please.

Old 07-18-2009, 10:39 PM

16 posts, read 74,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordLion-O View Post
Hi I am considering a job offer in Green Bay the job sounds very good, but the demographics worry me. I am not concerned for my wife and myself more my children 13 yrs old and 10 yrs old. I don't want my children to go to school and deal with racism i fear the affects it would have on them please write me back and give me feed back please.
You'd we surprised at the diversity now in GB. Here is an example of 1 of our elementary schools in Green Bay.

Check out other schools in the district w/ the link below. Green Bay really needs to get past this "only whites" image, it hasn't been this way for more then 5 years now.

Schools in Green Bay Area, Green Bay, WI.

Old 07-19-2009, 12:49 PM

1,045 posts, read 2,004,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by titletown View Post
You'd we surprised at the diversity now in GB. Here is an example of 1 of our elementary schools in Green Bay.

Check out other schools in the district w/ the link below. Green Bay really needs to get past this "only whites" image, it hasn't been this way for more then 5 years now.

Schools in Green Bay Area, Green Bay, WI.
Yes and this has a few shook up. The mention of white flight has appeared in Green Bay. Not on a large scale, but 20 years age people would have laughed at this thought.

Old 02-06-2010, 05:39 PM

15 posts, read 70,187 times
I just moved to Green Bay in December. I NEED a good Black stylist!! Ive read all the posts and even tried calling La Manz which was suggested and for ONE WEEK all I get is a voicemail. They perhaps dont need business. NEXT! I'm willing to make the drive to Milwaukee.

Old 02-06-2010, 06:19 PM

15 posts, read 70,187 times
Making it Big,

Hi, I'm new to this site and to green bay as well. Am wondering, did you happen to find a Black Hair Salon? I've read all thru this post and am not sure if you were successful in finding one. Help a sister out please. I'm in the same position now!!!

Old 02-16-2010, 10:34 AM

40 posts, read 139,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MakingItBig View Post
I just moved to Wisconsin from the south. As some of you may know, as an African American female, I NEED TO HAVE A GOOD BLACK BEAUTICIAN.
Where are the best black salons in Wisconsin?
I'm living in Green Bay, but willing to travel a few hours. I know there's not more than 2% blacks in Green Bay, but I still asked around here and no one knows where I can go. And most of the African Americans I've seen don't really seem to comb their hair.
PLEASE HELP! I can't get use to this.
Thanks.
I feel ya! My best advice is to get with folks who attend black churches in Green Bay. They know who is doing hair and where to find what you need. There are two churches in the downtown area. One is called Divine Temple. That is where most Blacks moving to the area end up for spiritual, social, business and economic reasons.

Other than that, you have to drive to Milwaukee a few hours drive away. Check the search engines to locate black hair care businesses in Milwaukee and call them. The problem in Green Bay is manufacturers and distributors. They have a market in Green Bay for white beauty products, not black.

It's about demographics and who spends money on these things. There are only a few black businesses. When I moved here from Chicago, I couldn't find "anything" for black people, that includes clothes, food, etc. I started talking to the store managers. It was bizarre. Believe me it's better than it was because there are more blacks in the area who are spending money.

Being well dressed is not high on the list in Green Bay and it's not just among blacks. There is no fashion industry here. If you want to look fashionable, professional or just look good, you're a minority no matter what your race. It's the land that style forgot.

Old 04-16-2010, 09:43 PM

1 posts, read 2,205 times
I am a black woman from CA who resides in Green Bay. We take our children to Lamanz in Appleton. I go there as well. It is a very nice place and the stylist, Carla, does a fantastic job! We would not go anywhere else. Extremely professional, perfection is key, and the price is right. Carla is a jewel.

Old 04-27-2010, 02:27 PM

1 posts, read 2,145 times
If you need a good hair stylist go to La Manz in appleton. They are very professional very clean and they do a terrific job. Carla and Julius are the owners and they don't play when it comes to hair, believe your hair will feel loved when they are finished. Call and find out 920-733-7400 if you serious about looking good this is the way to go.

Old 12-10-2010, 10:12 AM

1 posts, read 1,900 times
Default In Milwaukee?

I really have nothing to contribute to this thread. I was so frustrated with the horrible service I've received in the past 7 years that I cut all my hair off and decided to grow it natural. It has been 1 year and I couldn't be happier. Give up trying to find a good salon in the Milwaukee that caters to afro-textured hair, unless you want to open your own.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin