Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2013, 05:33 AM

8,347 posts, read 7,242,601 times

Advertisements

While the governor and the DOT are taking a cautious stance, one lawmaker stated it would increase Wisconsin's tourism, which I find somewhat idiotic.

Quote:
he told the committee, the higher limit would help tourists decide to travel further into the state and keep them spending money here for a few minutes longer.
Notice the lawmaker states "minutes". He also said
Quote:
saying the change would improve traffic flow and allow commuters to spend more time at home.
To him, minutes seem to matter most. I never knew people were in that big of a hurry to get anywhere.

Wisconsin lawmaker argues for 70 mph speed limit bill, says change would improve traffic flow | Star Tribune

Frankly, I don't see how raising the state's speed limit to 70 mph would have any affect on tourism or saving minutes whatsoever. IMO, the present speed limit on open highways of 65 mph seems to be adequate because one can be driving 65 mph and be passed by other vehicles like you're sitting still, seems to me speed limits don't mean much to people in a hurry. Think of how some already violate the 65 limit, raising the limit to 70 might encourage people to drive 75 and 80 mph, not that they already don't do that.

Interstates, Highway 41 candidates for 70-mph speed limit
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2013, 07:21 AM

3,961 posts, read 11,024,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoJiveMan View Post
Frankly, I don't see how raising the state's speed limit to 70 mph would have any affect on tourism or saving minutes whatsoever. IMO, the present speed limit on open highways of 65 mph seems to be adequate because one can be driving 65 mph and be passed by other vehicles like you're sitting still, seems to me speed limits don't mean much to people in a hurry. Think of how some already violate the 65 limit, raising the limit to 70 might encourage people to drive 75 and 80 mph, not that they already don't do that.
while i have gotten used to the 70mph limit i have here in SC after all the years living with 65 in WI (actually most of our travels back to WI are on 70mph interstates), you are correct the drivers will exceed it regardless. People speed, and there are plenty of times here the "pack" of cars is all tooling around at 80 in a 70. Really the same as in Wi when it's going 75 in a 65..... it's like our brains are programed to drive 10 over any posted amount

Old 10-07-2013, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger17 View Post
while i have gotten used to the 70mph limit i have here in SC after all the years living with 65 in WI (actually most of our travels back to WI are on 70mph interstates), you are correct the drivers will exceed it regardless. People speed, and there are plenty of times here the "pack" of cars is all tooling around at 80 in a 70. Really the same as in Wi when it's going 75 in a 65..... it's like our brains are programed to drive 10 over any posted amount
Yeah, you're right about that because in the past I'd received two warnings by state troopers, one in Marinette and one just outside of Madison for 10 over. After I was popped for 67 in a 55 on the Illinois toll road, I decided hurrying to delivery points wasn't worth the price, so I slowed down considerably and did the speed limits posted.

Even one of the lawmakers from my posted link stated that people will speed irregardless of the posted limits.

Yes, it is difficult getting accustomed to doing the posted limit after leaving a state like Michigan where the limit is 75, occasionally coming back from that state I'd find myself going 75-80 on I-80 and passing, passing, passing everyone, pretty risky on that congested road.

Wisconsin pretty much is the only northern state that has retained the 65 mph law. But, there's some stretches of Wisconsin highways I felt that even 65 was a bit excessive, in certain areas, either due to road conditions or traffic congestion.

Old 10-07-2013, 08:23 AM

4,837 posts, read 4,168,316 times
Hmmm...is this going to create more jobs?

Old 10-07-2013, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by northnut View Post
Hmmm...is this going to create more jobs?
I can just imagine the 18 wheeler drivers chomping at the bit now.

There was a recent fiery pileup near the state line of Wisconsin/Illinois near where trucks splitting off near US 41 & I-94, speed might have been a factor in that crash, although they claim a truck lost a wheel as the reason. I see 18 wheelers constantly tailgating car and other trucks going 65 to 70 mph now going through Kenosha into Racine. We normally have a slew of accidents during snow storms too.
I-94 @ SR 142 has seen numerous trucks slide off the roadway and down the embankment is previous years. Here is a study by the US Army Corp Of Engineers on the I-94 corridor from the Illinois state line through South Milwaukee.

http://www.plan94.org/pdf/feis/feis.pdf

They been working on 94 to change the bank of the roadway so slide offs become less frequent.

Will increasing the speed increase jobs? I don't know. But, it may help truckers reach their destinations much quicker, it would only equate to minutes saved, so I really don't see what might be gained by saving minutes.

Old 10-07-2013, 08:04 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,919,333 times
On open freeways, 70 mph should be no problem. We've had this in Texas for years and actually, most people stay pretty close to the limit, as the police pull you over if you go over it. In fact, we just went to 75 and most people drive at or even below that limit. The interstates were designed for that speed and when they were first opened, 70 was the limit. 70 seems very safe.

Old 10-08-2013, 06:54 PM

7,072 posts, read 9,621,687 times
Quote:

Yes, it is difficult getting accustomed to doing the posted limit after leaving a state like Michigan where the limit is 75

The freeway speed limit in Michigan is 70.

Old 10-08-2013, 06:56 PM

Quote:
While the governor and the DOT are taking a cautious stance, one lawmaker stated it would increase Wisconsin's tourism, which I find somewhat idiotic.

Notice the lawmaker states "minutes". He also said

To him, minutes seem to matter most. I never knew people were in that big of a hurry to get anywhere.

Wisconsin lawmaker argues for 70 mph speed limit bill, says change would improve traffic flow | Star Tribune

Interstates, Highway 41 candidates for 70-mph speed limit

Why is this an issue? The freeway speed limit in Wisconsin was 70 before the 55 nonsense started in 1974.

Old 10-09-2013, 04:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram2 View Post
Why is this an issue? The freeway speed limit in Wisconsin was 70 before the 55 nonsense started in 1974.
It's an issue primarily because our Guvna and the DOT are not convinced that raising the limit to 70 mph again is a good thing. If you read the news link I posted, it says both have not said either way, pro or con, if they'll support the bill. Sounds as if they're undecided on the issue.

Personally, I really don't care what the state does either way, I rarely leave Kenosha anyway. I only posted the new thread in an attempt to be a Walter Cronkite, thinking some C-D members might give their opinions to see if they support raising the limit or not.

City Data has approximately 972,000 threads you can browse and post your own opinions on, and I'm sure City-Data appreciates your support.

The 55 nonsense was in response to so called gas shortages and the gas guzzlers of days gone by. It was a proven fact at the time that slowing down used less fuel than driving 65-70 mph.

Nowadays, we have few 455 cubic inch engines in vehicles getting only 225 h.p. out of them, we have evolved in the automotive industry and some cars obtain 35+ m.p.g., more efficient engines, more efficient fuel delivery systems, electronically controlled transmissions, and so forth, we really have improved on Japanese and German technology. Who knows, someday cars might be able to attain 55 m.p.g. with higher cruising speeds too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram2 View Post
The freeway speed limit in Michigan is 70.
Thank you for the correction.

Old 10-09-2013, 10:44 AM

Quote:
The 55 nonsense was in response to so called gas shortages and the gas guzzlers of days gone by. It was a proven fact at the time that slowing down used less fuel than driving 65-70 mph.

The American people did not ask for a 55mph speed limit nor did they obey it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin