Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-17-2008, 07:38 PM

4,229 posts, read 17,612,023 times

Advertisements

Has anyone on here ever traveled The Great River Road aka Highway 35 along the Mississippi river along the western border of Wisconsin? I was thinking of maybe taking a weekend and travel the road. Any advice? I would like to get some good photos also.

Thanks, Josh
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2008, 07:44 PM

537 posts, read 1,939,884 times
I have been on the Great River Road many times. Both the WI and MN side are really nice. I love the area around Stockholm and Pepin. If you go take lots of pictures! Your pictures make my day.

Old 03-17-2008, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ekg56 View Post
I have been on the Great River Road many times. Both the WI and MN side are really nice. I love the area around Stockholm and Pepin. If you go take lots of pictures! Your pictures make my day.
I did some Electrical work for the University of Wisconsin La-Crosse and I was up there last summer and just fell in love with the area. I heard about River Road and now consider it a must try.

Also thanks for the compliment.

Old 03-19-2008, 11:12 AM

489 posts, read 1,211,129 times
Good place to visit is Elmer's Auto & Toy Museum in Fountain City. Its located at Eagle Bluff, the highest point on the Mississippi. He's only open on certain weekends during summer. If interested google "Elmers auto museum" for schedule and info. Unbelievable how this one guy collected all this stuff.

Old 03-19-2008, 11:24 AM

63 posts, read 227,325 times
The Great River Road makes for a great afternoon drive.

I might be a little biased since I use to live in La Crosse but in my opinion the best area for scenery is south of La Crosse to Prairie Du Chien. It's been years since I have been on the Minnesota-Iowa side south of La Crescent but I would suggest taking Wis. 35. None of the towns on the Wisconsin side south of La Crosse impress me that though, so if you take this route it would be for the scenery. On the Iowa side Lansing is an interesting town so if you cross the bridge over there you might enjoy it.

If you would love sailboats then Lake Pepin would definitely be the place. Minnesota has some great towns along the river. Lake City, Wabasha, and Red Wing are nice little towns. Lake city is definitely the place to see sailboats and Red Wing definitely has the best downtown. It's been a long time since I have been along the river on the Wisconsin side between La Crosse and Prescott but I think Trempeleau would be my favorite town there.

The best view of an urban area would definitely be of La Crosse from Apple Blossom Drive in La Crescent or from Grandad's Bluff in La Crosse. Although just about everyone has pictures from Grandad's Bluff and it shows mainly urban development. Apple Blossom Drive give you more of a view of nature with La Crosse sitting in the back ground.

Old 03-19-2008, 01:32 PM

Thanks for all the help.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin