Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2008, 10:58 PM

7 posts, read 41,659 times

Advertisements

Please know I do NOT want to offend anyone, but after reading through numerous posts, I'm concerned about our recent decision to build in Mt. Pleasant. My husband works in IL and I in Oak Creek, so it seemed time we moved from West Allis (Stallis, yes, I'm used to a certain amount of ghetto ) We are building in a new subdivision just South of Durand, just West of 31...it seems like a newer area, lots of businesses, newer homes, etc. I would really appreciate ANY honest input...we don't have children but are looking to start the adoption process, so I would like to know what I may have to deal with in the future. Thanks for any input....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2008, 10:08 PM

Nobody wants to answer?! I hope that's not a bad sign...

Old 01-29-2008, 03:26 PM

395 posts, read 1,860,723 times
Maybe nobody want to answer because the question is ridiculous.

Old 01-29-2008, 11:21 PM

Can you explain WHY you think it's ridiculous?

Old 01-31-2008, 06:49 AM

4 posts, read 21,543 times
it's a nice area you will be fine

Old 01-31-2008, 08:27 AM

thanks rrjj...anyone else?

Old 01-31-2008, 03:51 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,363,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milwaukee Ronnie View Post
Maybe nobody want to answer because the question is ridiculous.
Gee, youre a big help. Answer her question for Pete's sake.

Old 02-01-2008, 09:16 PM

13 posts, read 44,711 times
Having worked in Mt. Pleasant for seven years it's really not a bad area. Having said that I'm not fond of Racine in the least. Racine has had quite a few issues in the line of crime. And unless you plan to send future children to private schools then you will be sending them to schools in the Racine school district. Not a place I would feel comfortable sending my son. Most of the places to go and things to see are within Racine as well. I personally would look about 5 minutes south into Salem. It's in Kenosha county vs Racine county and in my opinion a better place to raise children. If you've already locked into a home in the subdivision I wouldn't worry. Mt. Pleasant police are very much on top of crime that finds it's way into Mt. Pleasant township so the area is quite safe.

Old 02-03-2008, 10:16 AM

Thanks WIarcher...that's pretty much what I've been told. Stay away from Racine School District...how's Kenosha's? I would like to say we would be sending our kids to private, but who knows...$$$ might be an issue. I've heard from some Racine parents that send their kids to Waterford/Union Grove schools...maybe that's an option. I guess it's not something I have to figure out NOW..seeing as we don't even have the kids yet, but it seems that unless RPSD steps it up, I'll be looking elsewehere. Thanks for the input! We have a signed contract with the subdivision, but no ground breaking yet, so I would guess we can still get out if we wanted to. I do like how close we are to everything at that location...although in Kenosha I would have closer access to the Outlet Mall !

Old 02-03-2008, 01:22 PM

69 posts, read 194,106 times
If you mean ghetto in the traditional sense, I would expect not. The only real ghetto in Wi. is in Milwaukee mainly in the north central area. Mt Pleasant by the stats shows a mean income above the Wisconsin average. High education and income do not a ghetto make. Check the stats on city-data.com.
Oddly, the small city of Beloit has a 'hood' appearance. Stores with metal doors and iron bars across the windows, run down businesses and houses in a about a 5 square block area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin