Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-22-2006, 11:37 PM

19 posts, read 83,109 times

Advertisements

I have read multiple web sites that mention there has been a massive growth of meth labs and childeren under the influence in Northwestern Wisconsin area. Is this so?

--==StormGod==--
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2006, 07:42 PM

167 posts, read 944,947 times
I can't speak for Chippewa Falls specifically, but I can tell you that yes, meth has become a pretty serious problem in this area. I live in Wisconsin, about 20 miles from the Minnesota border, but I grew up in West-Central Minnesota where crank (meth) runs like water and has for years. I'm not sure exactly why it became a problem there so much sooner than it did even in the Twin Cities and the suburbs, but I think the relative poverty of the area and also the easy access to anhydrous ammonia were big contributors. West-Central Minnesota's economy used to be heavily dependent on farming, but many small family farms have gone under.
Anhydrous ammonia is a concentrated gas kept in tanks on farms, used as or in fertilizer (I'm not sure about the specifics of its farm use) and it is frequently stolen and used to make meth. Meth is very easy to make, although it is also very dangerous. I knew many people in high school who used and even cooked meth. I imagine Northwestern Wisconsin, where I am now, is at risk of or is already becoming very similar to where I grew up. At first it was just the "bad kids" who were doing it, but by the time I graduated (in 2001), cheerleaders, basketball players and even the valedictorian were doing it. It's a very addictive drug and it can be very profitable as well. Very tempting for young people in low-opportunity regions such as these.

Chippewa Falls is part of a region that is similar to West-Central Minnesota in its reliance on family farming, which is quickly disappearing. I believe this is connected in some way to the meth epidemic, and Chippewa Falls meth users probably have easy access to anhydrous ammonia as well. I don't know how young meth users are, but I knew people who tried it for the first time at age 12 or so. I94, which runs right through Chippewa Falls, I believe, has recently been called the "drug corridor" between Minneapolis and Chicago.

Why do people do this? I think because it is easy, it's very addictive, it's easy money, and there's not much else for young people do to in these areas. One thing is for sure-- this problem is NOT going to go away any time soon. It is only going to grow.

Old 04-24-2006, 03:39 AM

12 posts, read 58,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by angelaf
Anhydrous ammonia is a concentrated gas kept in tanks on farms, used as or in fertilizer (I'm not sure about the specifics of its farm use) and it is frequently stolen and used to make meth.

I just read something about the neighbors of factory farms suffering from increased respiratory problems and chronic illnesses, supposedly caused by hydrogen sulfide and ammonia fumes (from the containment lagoons on farms.) --?

I know nothing about farm use of these chemicals or farming in Wisconsin, but our decision to relocate to Madison from the east coast is in large part prompted by respiratory difficulties. I realize air and water are a far cry from what they were when I was growing up, but does anyone have advice on current air and water quality in Madison itself, and perhaps an idea where it's headed?

Old 04-24-2006, 10:26 AM

167 posts, read 944,947 times
I don't think there's a lot of farming going on in Madison itself... I'm not very familiar with that part of the state but it's not as rural as the area I'm in.
Have you made the move yet? Madison is known, at least around here, as probably one of the "coolest" places to live in Wisconsin, for young people especially. The University there is, or at least has been in the past, the #1 party school in the nation. Be aware of that if you haven't found a place to live yet-- anywhere near the U is going to be less than peaceful. Also know that if you have children, you may want to leave town for Halloween. Every year, college students and other young partiers flock to Madison for what I understand is kind of like a Mardi-Gras-style party in the streets... very wild, lots of drinking and arrests. Last year they banned out-of-towners from coming into Madison Halloween weekend but I don't think the ban was very sucessful...

Last edited by Yac; 10-30-2007 at 01:33 PM..

Old 09-15-2006, 09:44 AM

1 posts, read 2,983 times
I am currentlly rsearching meth as a problem in chippewa falls for a group project in my sociology class at the cvtc. I happen to highly agree that there is a HUGE problem with this drug in our community.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin