Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2016, 03:39 PM

3,961 posts, read 11,024,066 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rynldsbr View Post
There are Green Bay Packer fan clubs and bars where people gather to watch the team play in every major metro area in the United States.

The 6 years we lived in SC, we would hit the local BW3 or other sports bar for Packer games as they had them on (instead of the local Panthers or Falcons games on Fox). And i can guarantee my wife and I were not the only ones in there wearing green and gold lol.

So i'm sure its a mix of being a team with a general following regardless of location (Steelers and Cowboys could fall in that group as well) plus in southern states and CA where there are more WI transplants, they keep rooting for their team and dont switch to whomever their new local team may be.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2016, 03:46 PM

6,005 posts, read 4,788,986 times
A family member recently visited from California and went to Lambeau. She was appalled that I had no interest in going.

I'm surprised I haven't been kicked out of Wisconsin.
Packers fans are diehard. And there are a LOT of them. They come from all over, absolutely.

Old 11-22-2016, 04:14 PM

41,936 posts, read 36,974,024 times
Now this is a question never asked by anyone that has lived in Wisconsin.

Old 11-22-2016, 04:37 PM

1,478 posts, read 788,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the city View Post
According to the census, in 2013 the city has 103,000 population. Nearby you have Appleton and other burbs and small towns.

However, evevery city I know that has a sports team usually at least has a half million population and enough fans with disposable incomes for season tickets.

Is Green Bay a weird exception where people from other parts of the state travel there?

Is it a small stadium compared to other major cities???

I've never been to WI. I'm only looking from a geographic perspective. Milwaukee and Madison are pretty far.
A lot of Wisconsin are Packers fans. Certain portions of Wisconsin close to Minnesota you will find a good number of Vikings fans too.

Milwaukee is almost entirely Packers fans. Die hard. Because there are so many people in Milwaukee from Chicago you'll run into Bears fans too.

I don't follow football or sports in general but I was told by a black veteran from Mississippi that is a HUGE football fanatic, that the Packers are one of those teams that enjoys a large fan base from all over the country. I think he told me Lil Wayne (it was some rappper) is a huge Packers fan and mentions them in some rap song.

There are some people from overseas that apparently follow the Packers too. Maybe in part due to their history.

In terms of football Green Bay is sacred ground.

Old 11-22-2016, 04:58 PM

8,793 posts, read 8,166,453 times
If you have never been in Green Bay on any given football Sunday, this question makes perfect sense.

However as someone who lived there for a year, all I will say is that every one of those 100K population is a die hard fan; or so it seems. When I was there, everybody and their brother were wearing GB jerseys - and if they could not do that, at least they were wearing green. I have never seen any city as devoted to their team.

It is so crazy that they will spend hundreds of dollars for team stock certificates that in reality are worth NOTHING; they can't be traded or sold, they get the buyer no discounts, and there is no trading them back in the future for your money - you just buy them and your money is gone. They sell like hotcakes.

Old 11-22-2016, 09:05 PM

6,005 posts, read 4,788,986 times
My husband had to have some tests done at a clinic in Green Bay. I was waiting out in the vestibule while he was undergoing his tests. Every person who walked into that place was wearing some sort of Green Bay Packer paraphernalia. At first I was thinking, "Must be some sort of 'Wear Your Green and Gold' thing going on." And then I realized, "Oh, EVERY day is "wear your green and gold" here in Green Bay!"

I think I was literally the only person wearing black. But I had cheese on my sandwich later that day, so I'm not a total outsider.

Old 11-23-2016, 10:18 AM

2,116 posts, read 3,050,294 times
For many years I managed a retail store and the halftime score determined how many people we kept on staff for Sunday afternoons. If the Packers were winning we kept everyone, and all breaks had to be done before midway in the 4th quarter. If they were obviously losing I sent home half the staff. No one would go shopping after the losses.

Old 11-23-2016, 10:24 AM

747 posts, read 840,018 times
They sure must be poorly managed if they could not survive without taxing the local citizens.

Old 11-23-2016, 10:44 AM

5,023 posts, read 7,452,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frogburn View Post
There are some people from overseas that apparently follow the Packers too. Maybe in part due to their history.

Great post.

I've met many people who are fans of other teams who look at me like I'm almost a celebrity when I tell them I've been to Lambeau.
People who aren't in to the NFL just don't understand.. because it is the history.

Old 11-23-2016, 10:50 AM

747 posts, read 840,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frogburn View Post

Yeah, so sacred that they played half of their games in Milwaukee for decades. Now that is sacred ground.....

So sacred that Bob Harlan threatened to move the team out of Green Bay if they could not obtain public tax money...

Packers' world not endingby | Editorial | journaltimes.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin