Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2008, 03:57 PM

29 posts, read 127,209 times

Advertisements

If you have, I'm wondering what it's like. I am looking to move back to the big general area. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2008, 06:47 PM

59 posts, read 377,829 times
Yes, I have...it has been awhile. The Hika Bay bar was the big attraction. Now it is close to the famed "Kohler" golf course, designed by Pete Dye - Whistling Straits. It is along the coast of Lake Michigan and is north of Sheboygan. Still rural, not much happening. Kohler Power has a big plant there as well. Check out the websites for more info.

Old 02-19-2008, 08:53 AM

395 posts, read 1,861,334 times
I drove through Cleveland, Wisconsin about 10 years ago. Struck me a fairly nice, close knit small town on the shores of Lake Michigan.

Sheboygan County is an interesting place. It's very blue collar, but at the same time is home to some big time "old money" associated with the Kohler family. So here you've got the decidedly blue collar factory town of Sheboygan sitting right next to one of the finest (and most exclusive) golf courses in the Midwest, private clubs, a fine art museum, etc ...

Old 02-19-2008, 10:22 AM

Thanks! I have looked at the websites and they're pretty non-descript. I've been looking for pictures and have found a few but not enough. I'm really looking for the day to day type experiences from the viewpoint of a 40 or 50 something single liberal woman. I have roots in WI but have been away 18 years. (can't believe it!) I hope the culture shock is not going to be too bad.

Old 02-19-2008, 03:41 PM

14,322 posts, read 14,620,586 times
I'm 60 and moved from NE Illinois to Two Rivers recently, and you could be in for a little culture shock! :-)

Two Rivers is next to Manitowoc and Cleveland is between Manitowoc and Sheboygan. I chose Two Rivers because it has nice neighborhoods, stores, places to walk, parks, path along Lake Michigan and out to the state park, things to do. Manitowoc is bigger and has more stores if I need them. I'm also an easy drive to Green Bay if I need bigger still or a mall!

Things are quieter here, less frenzied pace, more patient people and just nice, I like it. You will find threads on small towns about not being accepted, rude people and I find Two Rivers/Manitowoc very friendly. When I mention Illinois even those that have always lived in Wisconsin have some connection to Illinois it seems.

Some people question why I'd come to a small town and I say just at 60 I wanted a different life style and as built up as NE Illinois is you can't tell where one town starts and one stops except for the signs.

I'd do some homework, look for websites, maybe a newspaper, check out the county information, too. Good Luck!

Old 02-20-2008, 12:01 PM

Thanks so much. I'll look into Two Rivers. I'm trying to stay somewhat close to family that live in Plymouth and Adell but I like your description!

Old 02-20-2008, 03:01 PM

537 posts, read 1,939,884 times
My sister lives in Plymouth. Great area and Plymouth is a nice town. Good Luck!

Old 02-21-2008, 09:24 AM

4,229 posts, read 17,612,023 times
I know this is a tad farther south, but what about Port Washington or Mequon?

Old 02-21-2008, 12:14 PM

395 posts, read 1,861,334 times
Port Washington is a nice town on the shores of Lake Michigan that is lot more in Milwaukee's orbit than places around Sheboygan and north. Port used to be a fairly blue collar town from what I hear, but in recent years it has turned into a more well-to-do, "quaint" community with antique shops, stuff like that. I haven't actually been in Port Washington in about 15 years so this is all heresay.

Mequon is a suburb of Milwaukee. It has no discernable character, no downtown, few areas to walk around. It is often thought of as the "elite" of Milwaukee's elite suburbs. Very wealthy community. The derogatory term "North Shore Nancy" refers to the bored wives of rich doctors, lawyers and businessmen who live in Mequon and other North Shore communities. These "North Shore Nancies" are known for collecting art, dabbling in self indulgent and expensive hobbies, impeccably groomed toy dogs and fine fur coats.

Old 03-08-2008, 04:53 PM

2,382 posts, read 4,591,739 times
Cleveland wouldn't be a bad choice. Two Rivers and Manitowoc are both nice communities and there are several others in both Manitowoc and Sheboygan Counties. The City of Manitowoc, especially, seems to be on an upward swing - it's certainly much better than in the past...really building up (but not too big). Easy access to shopping and as mentioned in one of the posts above - close enough to Green Bay if you need more. Close enough to Appleton, too.

If you're looking to be further south (towards Milwaukee) - Port Washington is kinda/sorta picturesque but not what it's cracked up to be. I lived there and spent most of my time going to surrounding cities for anything. The only thing I really did in Port was go to the Post Office and maybe sometimes to the gas station. Mequon is just as described above - I wouldn't recommend it. Grafton seems to be moving upward, that could be another option. If you are going to be renting instead of buying, the options are plentiful in Ozaukee County....but ask around for recommendations.

Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin