Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2009, 09:00 AM

2,542 posts, read 6,916,078 times

Advertisements

I grew up nearby. I was surprised at the youth statistic for Hudson, as well. For all intents and purposes, Hudson is part of Twin Cities' suburbs--your husband will have a large area to look for work. You also have several areas to look for housing, depending on what you want. If you like living in the country and don't mind a small commute, then the countryside could offer you a cheaper situation. However, the entire area has been built up and people commute to work in the cities an hour plus to live in Wisconsin. River Falls is about 20 miles away (I'm totally guessing on my memory), but it is a college town, so expect rents to be up. New Richmond is also about 20 miles away. But there are houses everywhere between the two areas, so there is a chance that you could find something lower in rent between the two towns.

I would also start a thread in the Minnesota forum, since it is so close to the Cities, there are probably a lot of people there that are familiar with the area.

Good luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2009, 09:33 PM

4 posts, read 12,219 times
Thanks for all your responses! We will be visiting the area in a few weeks.

Old 01-13-2009, 08:13 AM

14,323 posts, read 14,620,586 times
Good luck in your searching, I enjoyed reading your posts! I like when someone can turn lifes lemons into lemonade! Financially alot of people are going through lemons these days!

I moved from NE Illinois to Wisconsin last year. I lived in Illinois always but came over the border for more reasonable housing, to get away from the crowds, congestion, bad roads, deteriorating area I lived in, lots of reasons. I wasn't looking for employment so that was not an issue. My 401K money took a hit, but I'll be 62 this year so I'll collect social security (before something happens with it, too)!

I live on the other side of the state by the lake but just wanted to say good luck, you sound positive and upbeat and considering a move that is a major plus and hurdle already crossed!

Last edited by susancruzs; 01-13-2009 at 08:26 AM.. Reason: Addition

Old 01-15-2009, 07:38 PM
HKB

221 posts, read 802,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by relocationadvice View Post
Hi all!
I was notified a few days ago that I am being relocated to Hudson Wisconsin. My husband and I will be moving from Ohio- snow belt area- we can drive in snow, slush, black ice (okay you drive slow on ice and leave very early for work on those days).
Anyone familiar with the area knows that Ohio can be bitter cold one day and in the mid 40's the next. We always say if you hate the weather wait until tomorrow!
I have been researching the internet and found this site. I have read that people are tired of the Yuppies taking over Hudson.I am a tad to old to be a Yuppie, but can keep up with those young uns!
Actually I have been concerned that my hot flashes have added to Global Warming. I am waiting for Al Gore to knock on my door! Okay, I am over 50. But there has to be people in there 50's in Hudson. I read in one demographic that the average age was 30ish. Can that be true?
Maybe you need more over 50 people to change that number!
In a few weeks we will be visiting the area. We would like to rent first before we commit to an area to live. Rentals on-line scare the heck out of me. $800.00-$1000.00 a month for a two bedroom?
My husband will have to find a job also. He has worked in steel mills and forging companies. I think the wrong side of the state for him.. We are hoping that he can find a general labor job. His ex gets most of his paycheck. He does have 4 great boys so I won't trash the ex.
Any advice you can give me I would love to hear!
Thanks in advance and can I wish everyone a warm and sunny day?
If you lived in Ohio it could happen!
I live in Hudson. If you have any specific questions about the city, post here, PM or e-mail me and I'll do my best to answer them.

By the way... my house is for sale, so if you're looking for a place to live, I can recommend a great home! My wife and I like Hudson, but we want to move to Rochester, MN to be closer to family.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin