Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2006, 10:55 PM

80 posts, read 562,751 times

Advertisements

That's YOUR opinion, and I do have a life, thank you. I had NO desire to move to your precious city of Fond du Lac in the first place. My husband mistakenly took a job there, and as far as bars, I don't go to them. I am pretty observant, though. Why don't you move there, since you think it's so great? And as far as the smoking, it seems to me that about 80% of the population of that place smokes. You are just getting secondhand info from people you know. I am actually forced to live in the place. And I do have useful information. Had someone warned me what Fond du Lac was like before my husband took a job at the boating company there, I would have told him to go flip burgers back home. At least you can drink the water and people actually treat you like a person and not a cockroach! I am just trying to warn people thinking of moving to that hole in the ground, that it's not worth it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2006, 10:30 AM

976 posts, read 3,861,936 times
^ Just like that is YOUR opinion on hating Fond du Lac. Many other people might "hate" it, but alot of people probaly also like it as well. My neighbors from Wisconsin just moved here about 3 months ago and i asked them about Fond du Lac. They said its a very nice city thats right on the lake. Very nice in the summer time to go boating and swimming. They were from Milwaukee and they said that alot of people from Milwaukee and Chicago would go there for vacation. Everyone has their different opinions on different places.

Old 07-31-2006, 03:44 PM

15 posts, read 96,019 times
Default Outsider looking Inside!

I have lived all over the midwest including all over in Wisconsin, IM AN OUTSIDER looking in and I still have to say that Fond du Lac is the only city in Wisconsin that I would never ever consider moving to again! I can run a list of many people that have experience in living there or just visiting and they ALL feel the same way I do, it has nothing to do with arrogance, honesty or sensibility as you state the other commenter is stating, it has to do with real life experience after living in this city! I was so discouraged after trying to live there for 4 months that I finally gave up my job and moved my family to Beaver Dam! Im not singling you out, just stating hard purre evidence of having lived in Fond du Lac!

Old 08-10-2006, 12:11 PM

1 posts, read 6,194 times
Default View from another "outsider"

I moved to Fond du Lac about 5 years ago, so I am not a "native," although I did grow up in Wisconsin. I have not had a problem making friends, fitting in, or finding things to do. I love to sing, so one of the first things I did was join the Fond du Lac Women's Chorus. I made a great group of friends and absolutely love it.

As Fondefender mentioned, there are a variety of activities available, and they don't all involve alcohol or sports. I personally rarely drink, and don't hang out in bars. You can find a lot of information at the Visitor's Bureau or on their website at fdl.com. It all depends on your and your kids' interests. I would suggest joining a group or club (see fdl.com/civic_info.iml), volunteering (check out the Fond du Lac Volunteer Center, (920) 926-1414 or email volunteercenter@fdlvolunteer.com), or taking a class at the Windhover Center (www.windhovercenter.com) (broken link), Shut Up and Dance! (www.shutupanddance.org) (broken link), or one of the 3 colleges in town. If the kids like to sing, they could join the Children's Chorale. If they like to act, I'd suggest Bravo Children's Productions (they put on some awesome shows) or the Fond du Lac Community Theatre (kids and adults).

As far as kid-friendly events, I have to admit that I don't have kids, so I'm not the best resource. However, I know that a couple times a year the Saturday Farmer's Market is expanded into a festival and moved to Main Street. The next one will be the Fall Festival on September 9th. Also, the Buttermilk Creek Park concerts (www.fdlsymphonicband.org) are nice, and I believe they only serve alcohol at the 2 German-themed shows. This week was Family Night, but next week will be Kids from Wisconsin, which is always entertaining. Just bring a chair and pick your spot.

Ihatefonddulac, I'm sorry that you're so unhappy with your situation. I'm not saying Fond du Lac's the perfect city, but I do think you're selling it short. I hope that you'll at least consider some of my suggestions.

Old 08-10-2006, 12:27 PM

14 posts, read 86,939 times
Smile Ample Activities

Great suggestions ladywolf! Even as a native, I wasn't aware of the women's and children's chorale and the club/group website at fdl.com/civic_info.iml. I'll even check those out myself! Thanks for the suggestions, hopefully fdlhater will consider some of your suggestions and those made by fondefender and myself and find some things to pass the time here until she can move.

Old 08-11-2006, 10:11 PM

1 posts, read 6,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ihatefonddulac
Also, we've never lived in a place that did not allow trick or treating on Halloween. We ended up driving to Brownsville just so the kids could go trick or treating on Halloween. We found out later that in Fond du Lac, there was trick or treating from 3-5 on a different day than Halloween. Then the rest of the time was geared towards adult costume parties in the bars. Halloween is mostly a KIDS' holiday. It's not supposed to be another excuse for adults to get drunk in the bars.
This is common throughout the United States. The majority of decent sized cities have their trick or treating done before dark, usually on the Sunday around Halloween. This is to create a much safer environment for your kids.

You also criticized the school district for not busing your kids to school. Many cities in Wisconsin have this same policy, it is not just FdL. Typically, students that live within the city limits to not receive busing. It is even this way in many small towns.

It's obvious that you have had a bad experience in Fond du Lac. There are many nice, smaller towns around Fond du Lac that have affordable housing that you could always look at (Rosendale, Oakfield, etc.).

Old 09-04-2006, 09:44 AM

15 posts, read 89,478 times
Default fondy

actually fondy is very cheap compaired to oshkosh and appleton. but there isnt anything to do there, thats why everyone works elsewhere, but lives there cause its cheap. i've lived in oshkosh and appleton and oshkosh is more run down than fondy, but its all where you live. appleton is great to live. lots of things to do. oh and halloween, theres a story why they dont allow that nomore especially at night. there was a little girl kidnapped and beaten on halloween during trick or treating. ever since that, it all changed. the best part to live in fondy is the west side. plus its not unusual for people to go elsewhere on halloween. i know people that go to oshkosh, even appleton, campbellsport. you name it, they go. and the bars are great for halloween. you dress up, some bars its free drinks. but appleton's night life isnt much different. everyones at the bars. i work nights so i dont really care for much of anything, but welcome to wisconsin, its all party state, especially madison. but friends are very easy to come by in fondy if your willing to make any. i dont plan on ever moving back to fondy but i've also lived there for a few years and appleton is much better place to go.

Old 09-04-2006, 09:53 AM

15 posts, read 89,478 times
Default tax in fondy

i just read someones posting stating their friend,sister whatever was paying 4,000/year for taxes lol. thats so funny cause before you buy a house, you find out how much the taxes are and i know people that own huge houses and are new and still pay much less. but like i said fondy is cheap compaired to oshkosh and appleton. and it all depends on where you live. you live right smack dab in the city, than thats the ghetto. the outskirts of fondy is much better. and you think fondy is rude, go to oshkosh. if you have a problem with fondy than move but it can either get worse or better. i've lived in oshkosh for 2 1/2 years and i've only talked to one neighbor thats half way decent. appleton is great. but the country is the way to go.

Old 09-17-2006, 02:22 PM

1 posts, read 6,260 times
Default to fond du lac hater

WOW, someone sure has a stick hidden up something. Let me tell you i'm from Fond du Lac, have been all my life. Sure we have our issues and I agree the water is too expensive the taxes are high. I have a home worth $130,000. In the southeast of town and I only pay $2100 a year in taxes and my water bill averages $100 every 3 months. Our total gross earnings in the home are around $45,000 and we can make mortgage payments, car payments and all of our bills and have money left over. So someone is overspending money. Don't tell me were such an expensive place to live. Ever hear of a store called Wal-Mart. maybe you should check it out sometime. Also Halloween is on a Sunday so that all parents can participate and if you do research there is a radio program for children that runs from 5:30-9:00pm that gives away prizes. I think the problem is you want everyone else to settle your problems with your childrens issues and you don't want to take the responsibility. I sure would love my neighbors to at least show responsibility to drink in their own driveways and not drive drunk coming home from an activity or a bar. They pay their taxes too so they have rights and who do you think you are to think that you're above everybody else. Maybe people in Fond du Lac wouldn't be so rude, but with your attitude you just seem to bring out the negative in everyone. There are things I hate about this town too, but its what you make of it. Start doing activities with your kids and if theres nothing for them to do, maybe you should take the incentive to create something for the area kids to do. Don't just sit on your duff and wait for someone else to do it. And if you don't like it, you know where the exits are to the city, no one forces you to live here. I visited Minnesota a couple of years of ago and there was one couple who was very nice and went out of their way to give us directions to the science museum, however there were many many more who snubbed us and gave us the cold shoulder and even when you acknowledged them by smiling they would just walk on by.

Old 09-18-2006, 12:32 PM

14 posts, read 86,939 times
Thumbs up Thank you!

Thank you ditzy...very valid points, I think there are many from fondy that would agree with you on all points!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin