Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-13-2010, 10:59 AM

10 posts, read 50,815 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I'm currently in the midst of trying to utilize my degree and find a career that not only I enjoy, but that also won't be likely to be out sourced, will continue to be in demand, isn't super competitive to break into, and pays well. By 'pays well', for me, that would be anything in the $25,000 + range

I have a bachelor of arts degree in communication-media & technology emphasis. communications is definitely a very broad field, but the versatility of different career paths is one of the main things that drew me to this field in the first place. And now, it seems because of it not only being such a broad field, but also because of this rough economy, I'm finding myself struggling more than ever where I fit into the work world with this particular degree.

I'm hoping to hear from any working professionals who have a communications degree or related work experience who could help point me in a few 'right' directions on possible career paths in this field that pay at least in the $25,000 + range.

Maybe you might have suggestions on careers that I haven't even considered looking into yet.

I'm open to eventually relocating to a new city where there might be more communication related jobs, but for now, I'm currently stuck in the Green Bay, WI area for an undetermined amount of time.

Sorry for the long post, and thank you in advance for your suggestions!

Brooke
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2010, 07:18 PM

274 posts, read 998,426 times
brooke, with a BA in communications i'm sure there are plenty of opportunities out there. i assume you're a fresh college grad? have you considered the following:

- television/media
- marketing
- sales
- consulting

these categories fall into SO many different industries spanning anywhere from healthcare to retail. it really depends on what you like and are interested in.

hope this helps!

Old 06-16-2010, 06:29 PM

2,747 posts, read 3,318,351 times
maybe visit your career center where you went to college and ask them for advice on career/job options-many colleges offer free career services (assuming you are still in the same city you went to college in)

Old 06-20-2010, 09:18 AM

17 posts, read 29,213 times
I own a newspaper and am currently hiring an advertising sales person.
send me an email at
I_hva_dream@yahoo.com

Old 07-18-2010, 01:58 PM

10 posts, read 50,815 times
thanks for the suggestions everyone, greatly appreciate it!

well, I've been trying to break into tv/media for quite awhile, but no luck yet. I don't have enough experience to compete against the 'bigger fish' in this industry right now, especially with this recession currently going on. I've had a few interviews in tv/media for entry level jobs, but no takers yet.

However, marketing/sales/consulting sounds like a good route to take as I do have some experience in those industries, so I think I'll continue to check that out.

Brooke
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment