Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2010, 03:53 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,457,092 times

Advertisements

to the welfare recipient the social worker looks like this.

to the social worker who has tried to get the client to do something with their life for the last 12 years the client looks like this

btw its most lazy not most laziest.

Last edited by Huckleberry3911948; 06-23-2010 at 04:50 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2010, 04:56 PM

9,394 posts, read 15,698,726 times
Generally the DMV is awful but the last time I went there (a week ago) the employees were actually quite pleasant and despite the huge mass of people, it didn't take TOO long.

I'm guessing with the economy how it is, they can't act like jerks because there are plenty of people who would be willing to work at the DMV.

Old 06-23-2010, 10:42 PM

470 posts, read 1,163,113 times
Yes and no, its just like everywhere else. I have worked for two gov. agencies and didn't really have a chance to "slack off" since I was (an am in the agency I am in now) ALWAYS busy, either meeting the public face to face or getting my paperwork done (with deadlines). In my current job if I were to become lazy work would pile up.

I don't have experience working in a gov.office job where you don't meet the public though btw so I dont know what that is like.

In fact I would say Social Services worker in the gov. are the most busy and overworked because of the ammount of people they see on a daily basis. The first agency I worked for was the social security administration and it was always packed lol.

Old 06-24-2010, 03:28 AM

1,624 posts, read 4,870,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatteress View Post
The government should be only using the lowest bidder in the interest of saving tax dollars.
Choosing the lowest bidder only works well if it is a commoditized product, which is rare for a government contract.

It's just like when you remodel your house. If you always go with the lowest bidder, you often end up with the lowest quality and least reliable contracter. If you have to pay to someone else to fix it, it doesn't you or the taxpayers any money.

A company that offers quality products, quality service, has special expertise, and a strong reputation, is always able to garner premium pricing in the market. There are some contracts where getting it done right the first time is way more important than saving say 10%.

Old 06-24-2010, 11:27 AM

1,946 posts, read 5,387,720 times
I've worked in both types of environments, and honestly I saw a correlation between the responsibilities of the office and the level of effort. In one, it was an office with lower-level federal employees who basically just had to put info into databases all day. Nice people, but the lunches were often longer than the allotted 1/2 hour, they spent a lot of time gossiping, and yet they were out the door the second their 8.5 hours was up for the day. The second office I worked in was more policy-making. Usually people worked 8-6 but longer if the project required it. The more senior people regularly worked even longer. People in the latter aren't lazy as they were all career-oriented and wanted to move up. So it's not too different from the private sector in which people who want to move up will work hard whereas those who don't really care will stay where they are.

Old 10-15-2010, 08:42 PM

9,894 posts, read 22,033,646 times
Not all govt employees are lazy but i do know the state of ca has its share of lazy & rude asses like the DMV, franchise tax board & a few others.

Old 10-15-2010, 09:06 PM

410 posts, read 1,495,797 times
I worked for a government agency and I think it depends on their responsibilities in the department. Some of the lower level employees had time to be lazy because they didn't have enough to do so they would sssstretch the work out for the day. I didn't have time to be lazy. I had deadlines and if they weren't meet I was accountable.

I think government agencies are like any other company with lazy folks......They are everywhere.

The DMV is always busy so they don't have time to be lazy. They are rude because they have too much work to do with the least amount of employees to do it. Not saying they should be rude but stress and rushing gets to everyone eventually.

Old 10-15-2010, 09:56 PM

5,546 posts, read 10,003,984 times
More so than in the private sector. Government employees are harder to get rid of (at least it used to be this way).

Those in the private sector are held to higher standards. Consequently, I think they are more on top of things and less likely to coast.

Old 10-16-2010, 04:33 AM

30,360 posts, read 51,970,126 times
It must depend on which departments you're referring to... because I've worked in a few city/county libraries (which is a govt job), and don't recall encountering anyone truly lazy. I guess it's the nature of our job, since you really CAN'T be lazy in a public library - too many patrons waiting for help, and too much stuff that has to get done every day. I'm not sure if you all realize this, but library patrons LOVE to complain about every little thing, so we really had to be "on our game." So most of my co-workers were extremely hard-working, dedicated, and darned good at their jobs. Weird, huh?

Only thing I noticed that could constitute "laziness," was how some workers freaked out if they had to stay 5 minutes late - since you don't get overtime (and often don't even get paid) for staying beyond your scheduled hours. But on the flip-side, there were also many who stayed late & never complained... I usually worked late every day, and was never paid a nickel for that time.

Old 10-16-2010, 06:59 AM

4,160 posts, read 5,624,025 times
I believe it depends-some of my family worked for the city ( retired now) and I know they worked ALL the time...my aunt works for the federal government and she is always working..however, dealing with other parts of the government I truly see lazy people ( DMV). I believe the reason for this is it was thought once you work for the government you have a job for life-I think this tide is turning because that is no longer the case...
I've seen my fair share of lazy people in the private sector that is for sure
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment