Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2010, 10:33 PM

3,650 posts, read 9,213,762 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
You can't be suspicious of the whole human race.
Just watch me.

Geez was I the only one who got the "don't trust strangers" lesson really early in life?

Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
it seems like everyone except for a few people have forgot about "Love thy neighbor" a Christian sentiment.
Hardly. But these aren't my neighbors.

And I have helped strangers in a variety of ways in my life through charities and various acts of kindness.

But it's on my terms. Don't intrude, esp in this day and age.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2010, 12:58 AM

24,488 posts, read 41,141,698 times
Quote:
It looks like a lot of people are paranoid. And it seems like everyone except for a few people have forgot about "Love thy neighbor" a Christian sentiment.
You've pointed out the fault in the sentiment. Christian. All is well if you classify yourself that. But not everyone does.

Old 06-27-2010, 06:48 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,707,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
You can't be suspicious of the whole human race.

About 3 years ago, a Mexican guy knocked on our door, asking for yard work, we took a chance, his rates were about half the going rate for the area.

Since then, we've hired various members of his family for painting, house cleaning, etc. They are cash only, I don't know if they report it or not, that's not my concern.

If I didn't hire them I couldn't afford to hire licensed, bonded, insured companies, I used to be like some posters here, insist on insurance, etc, but I think that risk is overstated. We carry an unbrella policy, because face it, anyone could hurt themselves on your property, workers or not.

BTW, my Mexican workers have been great, work hard, charge reasonable rates, and have helped out with emergency repairs, etc, while dh was away---like I say, you have to trust somebody.
I have a feeling you would not hire your fellow American. You wouldn't hire a black or white American. You're after the dirt cheap labor. I bet it doesn't bother you a bit that these people can't afford to live on the wages the servant masters pay them - so must turn to Medicaid and food stamps.

Would you hire a poor looking black, maybe someone who looked like he lived in a ghetto? Would you hire a poor looking white - a hillbilly type?

When it's cheap labor you're after and you use racial stereotypes to judge someone, you shoudn't put yourself "better than thou".

Old 06-27-2010, 06:55 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,707,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NSX View Post
LOL, which study gave you those percentages?
A hillbilly would most likely be an American - I would say 95% of hillbillies and ghetto blacks are Americans.

I wouldn't break laws - not immigration laws and not wage and labor laws to employ someone. There are plenty of Americans who really need work that breaking the laws isn't necessary at all. I also would pay only what I would expect to be paid myself if I were doing the same work. I would pay legal wages to have something done.

I would also not hire someone knocking on my door for a big project because I wouldn't know their qualifications or honesty but if they wanted to rake my yard or haul away junk, I would hire them for that.

Old 06-27-2010, 09:14 AM

8,652 posts, read 17,243,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovetheduns View Post
I would hire the licensed bonded and insured company that charges $50.00.

Sorry, I don't want to carry liability on someone's worker on my property.
Good luck on that....it'll be more like $100.00 an hour at the min... and you should have liability on your homeowners policy anyway...Just because someone is bonded and insured does not mean that one of their workers cannot sue you if they get hurt on your property..

Old 06-27-2010, 02:57 PM

154 posts, read 526,643 times
The lady across the street hired some rednecks who were knocking on doors looking for tree work. One feel out of a tree and had to go to the hospital. Any day now she will be sued.

Old 06-27-2010, 03:14 PM

39,031 posts, read 23,023,210 times
Quote:
It looks like a lot of people are paranoid. And it seems like everyone except for a few people have forgot about "Love thy neighbor" a Christian sentiment.
Love thy neighbor does not mean foolishly opening yourself up to a potentially dangerous situation (opening the door to stranger, etc.)... If you are that trusting, that's fine for you. As a female, I'm not allowing some strange guy that came to my door unsolicited into my home.

Old 06-27-2010, 03:48 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,952,004 times
I didn't say allow the person into your home. Did I say that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatteress View Post
Love thy neighbor does not mean foolishly opening yourself up to a potentially dangerous situation (opening the door to stranger, etc.)... If you are that trusting, that's fine for you. As a female, I'm not allowing some strange guy that came to my door unsolicited into my home.

Old 06-27-2010, 04:03 PM

39,031 posts, read 23,023,210 times
Quote:
What exactly were you referring to when you made the below comment? This thread is about whether or not we would hire someone who knocks at our door asking for work so I assumed that your comment was in reference to this.
Quote:

Old 06-27-2010, 04:15 PM

3,650 posts, read 9,213,762 times
Quote:
Apparently this will all come as a surprise to you, but FYI most people don't have a chain on their front door, and if they open the door, that person might force or even talk their way in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment