Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2012, 01:07 PM

6 posts, read 10,724 times

Advertisements

I understand where people coming door to door selling could be annoying but that's what this nation has built on how do you think people got work for the service they provide they looked for it so I know there are solicitors that may have ruined it but there are actually still great company's out there providing a great service for people and want even get heard out before they get yield at door slammed in face or cops called on them. But getting back to the good how are we to eliminate the economic down fall bad economy if we don't give people a chance and here them out! Some door to door can be shady but you can figure that out on 30 sec so start to open your minds and remember how people advertising got started word of mouth. If people would not be so rude to everyone the economy might pick back up every one remember when someone knocks on your door not to be so rude you may actually need what ever it is they have and if not it is 2 min of your day some of the door to door sales men are earning there way threw school or raising a family with out relying on unemployment or the government to help them. Just remember where we all got started years ago. There are good people
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2012, 02:04 PM

804 posts, read 2,003,983 times
did you create an account just to write that post? what's the motivation?

Old 06-07-2012, 02:06 PM

4,003 posts, read 10,839,827 times
To be simply put, society is not the same as when that method worked. By "open your mind" you mean give in to sales tactics. We all have Google now and can find what we need with ease. The last thing I want is someone ringing my bell to tell me about their services when I have been working all day and just want to relax. Nowadays, there are plenty of "shady" door-to-door sales people that give the few legitimate ones a bad name. Why risk letting a criminal scope out your house? Being a building inspector and contractor, I am well versed in what virtually every home service costs, and I have found that door-to-door sales related to home services are typically a ripoff in pricing and quality. If you want success, you have to market in the way the majority searches for services. D2D is banking on catching an easy sales mark that has difficulty saying "no" when face to face. They do not have time to do their research to determine if the service is the correct course of action. They typically want you to sign a contract right now, and we will give you this bonus or that discount. That is an unethical method of doing business imo. If you are one of the legitimate people trying to deliver an honest service, find a way to sell yourself without being perceived as a snake oil salesmen, which is how many view D2D sales. You will find far more long-term success delivering quality to a client that is well informed as opposed to someone you just talked into your service that really has no idea why they even need it. That is my .02.

Old 06-07-2012, 02:28 PM

43,282 posts, read 77,104,102 times
I REALLY like the "Enter" Key on my keyboard.

It comes in so handy when it helps me break up blocks of text into a series of separate sentences.

Like this.

I always figured all keyboards had one, and if not, someone could likely make a fortune selling keyboards with an "Enter" key, door to door. Just gotta chain yourself to the kitchen table and not leave until they take two!

Old 06-07-2012, 02:44 PM

494 posts, read 816,231 times
Soon after I moved in my house I had some guy stop and say he was from Charlotte and installing peep holes on the doors for security in the neighborhood that day. I found it bizarre that someone was at my door and that he drove all the way from Charlotte to Wake Forest for work. If I am going to hire someone I am going to research the company first and not hire someone unsolicited.

Old 06-07-2012, 02:56 PM

2,464 posts, read 4,165,745 times
So, a door to door scam artist decides to post on here? I live out in the "county" and we still get way too many door to door solicitors. Half are bible thumpers, half are people selling shady items from catalogs, etc. Door to door sales were convenient when many women stayed home and did not have cars to drive. Now, it's primarily a way for burglars and thieves to scope out your home and security, or for someone to trick you into ordering something from them, and getting either a check or a credit card number from you. We both know that never ends well! I will feel free to run off any door to door solicitors, many of whom feel absolutely no need to be mindful of "no trespassing" and "no soliciting" signs.

Old 06-07-2012, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoopDeLoop View Post
did you create an account just to write that post? what's the motivation?
Jerks that don't listen then want to complain about the economy

Old 06-07-2012, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sacredgrooves View Post
To be simply put, society is not the same as when that method worked. By "open your mind" you mean give in to sales tactics. We all have Google now and can find what we need with ease. The last thing I want is someone ringing my bell to tell me about their services when I have been working all day and just want to relax. Nowadays, there are plenty of "shady" door-to-door sales people that give the few legitimate ones a bad name. Why risk letting a criminal scope out your house? Being a building inspector and contractor, I am well versed in what virtually every home service costs, and I have found that door-to-door sales related to home services are typically a ripoff in pricing and quality. If you want success, you have to market in the way the majority searches for services. D2D is banking on catching an easy sales mark that has difficulty saying "no" when face to face. They do not have time to do their research to determine if the service is the correct course of action. They typically want you to sign a contract right now, and we will give you this bonus or that discount. That is an unethical method of doing business imo. If you are one of the legitimate people trying to deliver an honest service, find a way to sell yourself without being perceived as a snake oil salesmen, which is how many view D2D sales. You will find far more long-term success delivering quality to a client that is well informed as opposed to someone you just talked into your service that really has no idea why they even need it. That is my .02.
Great response I think u are correct but they are good d2d sales not all is bad

Old 06-07-2012, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
I REALLY like the "Enter" Key on my keyboard.

It comes in so handy when it helps me break up blocks of text into a series of separate sentences.

Like this.

I always figured all keyboards had one, and if not, someone could likely make a fortune selling keyboards with an "Enter" key, door to door. Just gotta chain yourself to the kitchen table and not leave until they take two!
Thanks forgot to go to school so I did not. No an enter key meant a period

Old 06-07-2012, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBigKahunaNC View Post
So, a door to door scam artist decides to post on here? I live out in the "county" and we still get way too many door to door solicitors. Half are bible thumpers, half are people selling shady items from catalogs, etc. Door to door sales were convenient when many women stayed home and did not have cars to drive. Now, it's primarily a way for burglars and thieves to scope out your home and security, or for someone to trick you into ordering something from them, and getting either a check or a credit card number from you. We both know that never ends well! I will feel free to run off any door to door solicitors, many of whom feel absolutely no need to be mindful of "no trespassing" and "no soliciting" signs.
So every solicitor is scope out your home how many people do you know that's happened to and where do u get this info paranoia I don't think a thief would want you to see him on your neighborhood also lots of people I know that have good work ethic and heart after a layoff will take any job it takes to feed their children not to rob your house that is u thinking you have something no one else has and other people want it your ego is to big to realize nobody wants nothing you have and if they where going to rob u they are not going to stop at everyone's house in the neighborhood and then do it! if your ego want so big u could is some of that brain
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment