Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2010, 10:17 AM

29,391 posts, read 55,638,312 times

Advertisements

SAN FRANCISCO – In a tongue-in-cheek call for immigration reform, farm workers are teaming up with comedian Stephen Colbert to challenge unemployed Americans: Come on, take our jobs.

Farm workers are tired of being blamed by politicians and anti-immigrant activists for taking work that should go to Americans and dragging down the economy, said Arturo Rodriguez, the president of the United Farm Workers of America.

Immigrant farm workers' challenge: Take our jobs - Yahoo! News (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100624/ap_on_en_tv/us_immigration_take_our_jobs - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2010, 09:24 PM

850 posts, read 1,547,427 times
I don't care who does what...just be LEGALIZED AMERICANS! Pay your taxes, and you can have any job your qualified to do.

Old 06-26-2010, 09:44 PM

1,228 posts, read 3,721,366 times
It's kind of difficult to take someone's job when it officially doesn't exist.

I would gladly take paying 2 times more for produce if it meant an end to illegal immigrant gang members, murderers, kidnappers, drug dealers, and thieves ruining our cities.

So many neighborhoods near me were once peaceful and safe now you hear about shooting after shooting by illegal Canadian immigrants. What's worse, they don't care about their property, these neighborhoods look like the third world because the immigrants bring that mentality with them.

Old 06-27-2010, 02:11 AM

39,031 posts, read 23,037,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthBound47 View Post

I would gladly take paying 2 times more for produce if it meant an end to illegal immigrant gang members, murderers, kidnappers, drug dealers, and thieves ruining our cities.

So many neighborhoods near me were once peaceful and safe now you hear about shooting after shooting by illegal Canadian immigrants. What's worse, they don't care about their property, these neighborhoods look like the third world because the immigrants bring that mentality with them.
What area are you in? All I hear about are the complaints about the illegal Mexicans so this is a first about the illegal Canadians.

Old 06-27-2010, 06:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatteress View Post
What area are you in? All I hear about are the complaints about the illegal Mexicans so this is a first about the illegal Canadians.
I was kidding, just because last time I talked about illegal Mexicans and Salvadorians killing each other and running down neighborhoods I got in trouble.

Old 06-27-2010, 07:55 AM

13,811 posts, read 27,477,457 times
No American wants to do the jobs the illegals are doing for the money they are getting paid. I bet even if the jobs paid minimum wage most unemployed Americans wouldn't want to do it. I would be hesitant.

Old 06-27-2010, 08:08 AM

1,475 posts, read 2,558,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthBound47 View Post
Hey, now you're talkin'. Excellent point!

Old 06-27-2010, 08:11 AM

1,475 posts, read 2,558,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
No American wants to do the jobs the illegals...
If you put an American in there they would probably come up with a way to automate the task. Then the people who skim off the farm worker programs wouldn't have any programs to skim off of, so it looks like we're stuck with manual farm labor.

:-)

Last edited by Rich_CD; 06-27-2010 at 08:11 AM.. Reason: Where's my smiley?

Old 06-27-2010, 08:13 AM

13,811 posts, read 27,477,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich_CD View Post
If you put an American in there they would probably come up with a way to automate the task. Then the people who skim off the farm worker programs wouldn't have any programs to skim off of, so it looks like we're stuck with manual farm labor.

:-)
"If you want to know the fastest way to do something ask the laziest person you know".

I agree that would probably be an American! And I'm proud of it!!

We have guys here who don't even want to sit up out of their chair and push a button, so they have started bringing small sticks with fake fingers attached to them to allow them to push the buttons from resting in their chair.

Old 06-27-2010, 08:29 AM

Can I point that Canada doesn't have an illegal immigrant problem, and they aren't suffering food shortages.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment