Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2010, 06:59 PM

1,475 posts, read 2,556,866 times

Advertisements

Someone responded to my United States CLOSED post about having a friend in Brazil that is doing good in the software industry. I asked they would send me contact info for their friend in Brazil so that I could contact them about maybe sub-contracting some work and the person responded that they would get right to sending me that contact info.

Maybe the problem with the US is we don't take care of our own any more? We all rely on politicians or whoever else to "make sure" we are doing well. Is that really the right way to be sure things will be OK?

Years ago in the US, competition meant someone in another part of the country. So, you referred people to other companies in your county or state. Now with the global economy helping your neighbor maybe means referring people to other companies who are in the US?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2010, 07:06 PM

1,228 posts, read 3,720,129 times
So you think that you are owed a job?

Old 07-06-2010, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthBound47 View Post
So you think that you are owed a job?
No. how did you come to that conclusion?

It's called helping others with the knowledge that when they do better you benefit. The US is in the toilet. Maybe if we would have at least been concerned with helping our own neighbors they could possibly be doing good and willing to return the favor.

Old 07-06-2010, 07:32 PM

8,263 posts, read 12,202,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich_CD View Post
The US is in the toilet.
No it isn't. It's just been so comfortable for so long that people take it for granted. We have newspapers where two stories on the front page are that Americans are worried about the economy, and that three million iPads were sold in under three months.

Have a beer man, sheesh.

Old 07-06-2010, 10:19 PM

3,196 posts, read 5,399,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slackjaw View Post
No it isn't. It's just been so comfortable for so long that people take it for granted. We have newspapers where two stories on the front page are that Americans are worried about the economy, and that three million iPads were sold in under three months.

Have a beer man, sheesh.
Can you explain the short and the long term implications of your apparent "go with the flow and have a beer" philosophy?

Old 07-06-2010, 10:34 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,154,196 times
I agree with Rich in that we don't really reach out to help ourselves anymore. We kind of expect someone else (typically the government) to reach out and help us, so we don't have to ourselves. There's a mindset or expectation that is really bad.

I disagree with you, Rich, in regards that the US is in the toilet. It's more of the fact that people are in fear because they feel out of place with their mindset.

What remains true in this country is that if you "work hard" AND "take risks", you'll succeed, and very well. Most people do only one or the other, or neither, and get caught offguard when their single basket strategy doesn't work out.

Old 07-06-2010, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcashley View Post
Can you explain the short and the long term implications of your apparent "go with the flow and have a beer" philosophy?
Not going with the flow and have a beer, it's look around to appreciate a little more that you're not in a toilet, then have a beer.

Old 07-07-2010, 05:57 AM

2,017 posts, read 5,639,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich_CD View Post
Someone responded to my United States CLOSED post about having a friend in Brazil that is doing good in the software industry. I asked they would send me contact info for their friend in Brazil so that I could contact them about maybe sub-contracting some work and the person responded that they would get right to sending me that contact info.

Maybe the problem with the US is we don't take care of our own any more? We all rely on politicians or whoever else to "make sure" we are doing well. Is that really the right way to be sure things will be OK?

Years ago in the US, competition meant someone in another part of the country. So, you referred people to other companies in your county or state. Now with the global economy helping your neighbor maybe means referring people to other companies who are in the US?
Hmmm-- people do do that?

It is called networking.

Did the person ever send you the contact information for her brother? When I read her response, it seemed doubtful-- but then again-- maybe I am always a skeptic.

Personally, I wouldn't refer a job at my company to anyone who I could not vouch for-- but one of my coworkers sitting with me now is someone whom I referred a job to in the past. I have also done the same for job transfers and promotional opportunities.

I make sure I keep in touch with coworkers who have left-- and have even received emails from them recently telling me about jobs in their own organizations.

I am not sure why you think that this does not happen every single day.

Old 07-07-2010, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovetheduns View Post
Personally, I wouldn't refer a job at my company to anyone who I could not vouch for
Yup. It's an investment in time and money to hire someone, so a recommendation reflects on you and what you bring to the company.

It's great to maintain networks but I sure as heck wouldn't bring in a software developer that I only know from an internet message board.

Old 07-07-2010, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slackjaw View Post
... and that three million iPads were sold in under three months.
Billions of people on the planet and 3 millions iPads were sold. Hmm...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment