Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2010, 09:26 PM

235 posts, read 465,475 times

Advertisements

I am willing to locate to another state (Arizona) once I land a job however I am out of state (Illinois). What should an out of state person do if they want to relocate to another state once they get the job? Would the company be responsible for reimbursing for last minute airfare/hotel for an entry level job? What kind of advice can you offer someone who would like to relocate but don't want to waste their life savings only to end up without a job a few months later?

I was taught in high school and in college that once you get your degree there will be plenty of jobs out there for you for your given field. I was also taught in high school and in college that if you are looking for a job in another state that you should use a job recruitment agency as their job is to help people find jobs.

Is that true or did they give me bad advice?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2010, 09:41 PM

4,796 posts, read 22,906,689 times
If you want to relocate you need to be prepared to pay your own expenses. Companies typically only reimburse for very high-level management positions, or highly specialized positions (like, molecular geneticist and the like).

If you want an employer to consider you, you have to conduct yourself in the same manner as every other applicant does, local or otherwise. That means having the funds to pay for air travel on fairly short notice. You may be able to negotiate a bit of a delay, but don't expect them to hold up their process for you to get a cheaper ticket. Doing so wouldn't make sense from a business standpoint, and it isn't fair to the other applicants who are eager for the job.

If you were taught anything, it should have been to use your own logic and not believe everything people say--including that there are any guarantees about anything in life, including jobs. A college degree is no guarantee of anything other than that you sufficiently mastered the curriculum you have completed.

And no, the job of recruitment agencies is not to help people find jobs, but rather the other way around. Their job is to help employers find workers. They work for the employer, not the applicant, and as such, all of their effort is aimed at making the employer happy, not the job seeker. You can utilize agencies if you want to, just be aware of what the service really is. They are really just another tool in your arsenal, they shouldn't replace your direct contact efforts with employers.

Old 07-13-2010, 09:45 PM

56 posts, read 284,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhammerman2003 View Post
I am willing to locate to another state (Arizona) once I land a job however I am out of state (Illinois). What should an out of state person do if they want to relocate to another state once they get the job? Would the company be responsible for reimbursing for last minute airfare/hotel for an entry level job? What kind of advice can you offer someone who would like to relocate but don't want to waste their life savings only to end up without a job a few months later?

I was taught in high school and in college that once you get your degree there will be plenty of jobs out there for you for your given field. I was also taught in high school and in college that if you are looking for a job in another state that you should use a job recruitment agency as their job is to help people find jobs.

I recently relocated to Raleigh, NC from upstate NY. I made the jump without a job, thankfully it all worked out. In this economy, an employer will most likely only cover relocation expenses for a highly skilled position that is not easily filled. Nobody is going to cover your relocation expenses for an entry level job. There will be so many local candidates for the same job, it doesn't make sense.

Forget about what everyone told you in high school. A college degree is just proof that you are reasonably motivated, can show up on time, and can meet deadlines. It has no real significance other than that in today's day and age. It is no longer the ticket to the American dream as it used to be.

If you are one of the lucky ones who actually has a life savings, don't blow it on a relocation unless you are absolutely sure that it will work out for you. Whatever you choose to do, I wish you the best of luck.

Old 07-14-2010, 09:49 AM

235 posts, read 465,475 times
If job recruiters work for the employer and they think that I match the job perfectly for it would the employer be willing to setup an interview over the phone and over Skype and if I get the job will they allow 48-72hrs for me to get there?

What about having a LinkedIn profile? Would job postings on LinkedIn only search in the town where you live or will it search in towns that you want to live/move to?

What sites do you recommend that would increase my chances of getting a job in another state without living in it until you relocate there?

I talked to a job recruitment agency and they said that if you live in the town where you are looking for the job it helps us find jobs for you much easier than if you were to live out of state. However I also stopped and talked to another job recruiter and they said yeah if you speak to the job recruitment agent down in the town that you are planning to relocate to that they are more than welcome to help you find a job in your field because you live out of state.

I've also been taught the saying "Don't call us, we'll call you" yet I haven't received any phone calls from any of the places that I've applied to in AZ because it's for entry level positions and I'm out of state. The reason why I am applying for entry level positions is because when you are fresh out of college with an Associate's Degree your only choice is entry level.

I mean yes I have enough savings that I could probably live in AZ for maybe 6mo-1 year (in a cheap apartment) before my savings are gone and I don't want to waste them because I couldn't find a job.

Old 07-14-2010, 01:16 PM

5,979 posts, read 19,898,795 times
IMO, networking is the best tool to increase your chances of getting an out of state job. Pull up your yearbook, look up your friends in Facebook first and start a social interaction with them. Without being so direct, you'd be able to find out where they work and what type of responsibility they hold. If you are interested and if you are qualified for a position possibly in his type of industry or line of business, that's when you investigate whether he/she may be able to assist you in looking for oportunities not necessarily posted to the public. For a more direct approach, use LinkedIn, but in my experience, many people in responsible enough positions, or positions with clout and knowledge (like long term admin assistants to execs) don't have a LinkedIn profile. It also never hurts to impress, be nice and work well with existing colleagues and managers. You never know if they would relocate first and then offer you a position to work with them. That's what happened in my case. My manager who relocated to where I am right now had brought up a position to me, as her peer. She supplied the job description as well, the pay grade, the salary range, info on benefits, feedback on the hiring manager, and other such useful stuff. Never burn your bridges where you are. You never know when you may have to cross it again.

Old 07-14-2010, 01:49 PM

9,130 posts, read 20,012,483 times
Finding an out of state job right now is going to be a really big challenge. Especially for an entry level position.

Any typical entry level position is going to be flooded with applicants right now. So first of all, you are going to have to really stand out just to get any consideration.

Not being local makes this even more important, since many employers see a relocating employee as a greater risk. Many will give up and return to where they came from due to home sickness or whatever. They certainly do not want to risk the expense to train someone only to lose them in 6 months.

So, given their pick of otherwise equal candidates, they are far more likely to pick the local one.

So, your resume and application are just going to have to glow.

Networking is smart as was suggested, since knowing someone inside can help you get noticed, and potentially allow you to help communicate how committed you are to the move to help dispell the employers fears.

Good luck!

Old 07-14-2010, 03:52 PM

8,518 posts, read 15,641,873 times
Quote:

I'm in the same situation as you. I'm in Illinois and trying to relocate to another state, but I'm trying to land a job first. Employers have a strong preference for local candidates. Most won't even look at your resume. They'll assume you need relo assistance. Even if you state that you don't, they may worry that you're not 100% committed to moving so they'd rather not waste their time on you. Forget what you were told in school. Whoever told you that there would be plenty of jobs waiting for you upon graduation should be fired. If you really want to move, you need to do several things. One, save up for your own relo and the cost to fly out for interviews. Two, find someone in your target city who will let you use their address. If you have your resume online, using their address will at least let you be seen by employers and recruiters who restrict their search to local candidates. And three, make it clear to recruiters and employers that you're 100% committed to moving and paying your own way. Anything less and you won't get any response.

Old 07-14-2010, 04:17 PM

10,447 posts, read 49,658,815 times
Quote:

So they told you in high school there would be plenty of jobs when you got out. When did you graduate? 1993 during boom times? Buddy there ain't no jobs out there unless you want a govt job or get into the medical field. Have ya heard? America is in the deepest depression since 1928 and things continue to deteriorate.

Back during other economic downturns people could just relocate their families to find work. That don't work anymore, there are no quality jobs anywhere except some positive news around the Washington DC area but who the hell would want to live there?

Think about this: Why would any employer want to hire you from out of state when they have 3000 to 5000 applications on file from local residents. And I can guarantee you that Arizona is no better off then where you are now. So unless you are just seeking to get away from that aweful snow and head for some sunshine then don't bother.

Here is the best advice: NEVER EVER take a permanent residence first. FIND YOUR JOB FIRST and then and only then should you find a place to live. You would not want to get an apartment and then a job with a 2 hour one way commute.

Good luck to you. You sure are going to need it.

Old 07-14-2010, 05:11 PM

1,045 posts, read 2,657,998 times
Hopefully I am not hijacking this thread, but my question is very similar. What are my chances of getting another job in another state within the same company (internal transfer)? Would employers consider out of state employees who are currently working in another department of the company?

Old 07-14-2010, 05:36 PM

4,796 posts, read 22,906,689 times
Quote:
What about having a LinkedIn profile? Would job postings on LinkedIn only search in the town where you live or will it search in towns that you want to live/move to?
LinkedIn's job board is pretty much like every other job board. It doesn't automatically deliver job postings to your account or profile, you have to deliberately follow a separate link, where you put in your search criteria and it returns results, just like any other job board.

One important note: You aren't required to input 'location' when you create your LI profile. If you are focused on relocating to one particular city, you would be wise to identify your destination city, rather than your current locale. If you are open to relocating anywhere, just choose United States (and zip code 00000).

Quote:
What are my chances of getting another job in another state within the same company (internal transfer)? Would employers consider out of state employees who are currently working in another department of the company?
Typically internal transfers are a very good and easy way of relocating. Every company is different of course. You might do some poking around at work and see if there is any official policy or if you can find anyone who has transferred in from another city, who might be able to answer your questions about how it worked.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment