Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2010, 09:47 PM

1,006 posts, read 736,122 times

Advertisements

Quick run down, I'm 26 years old. I'm an IT analyst in the Oil and Gas field and I make extremely good money to say I'm not done with my Bachelors yet. But there is a problem, each day I find myself more and more on the verge of just walking away from it all but unfortunately I've become accustomed to the money. I hate the way I feel when I arrive and I pretty much work for the weekend, not primarily the paycheck.

Just curious as to how many individuals left their financial safe haven to pursue their "dream job" or just to look for a better atmosphere and did you have to take less pay. If so, how did you adjust and what advice could you offer me for coping with my desire to just leave

Im sure I'll get the "wait till the economy gets better" speeches, but truth be told no one knows when the recovery will go into full swing. I'm getting to the point that risking the financial meltdown and employment almost seems worth it.

Last edited by ayahuasca_mike; 07-28-2010 at 09:57 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2010, 10:24 PM

1,228 posts, read 3,720,318 times
Well, you can work hard for 30 years if the money is really that great and have a nice early retirement, or else change careers later and retire at 60, or you can switch now and retire at 70+ like the rest of us will have to.

Old 07-28-2010, 11:01 PM

1,006 posts, read 736,122 times
Well my dad ad an early retirement. Saved all is life and played hte market only to be kicked in the ass during the financial meltdown. He retired and opened a restaurant but lost a substantial amount of his 401k and investments. Wile I do contribute the max to 401k and I TRY to play the market, I have absolutely no faith in either and see property ownership/management as my retirement plan.

My point is, retiring at 50 or 70+ doesn't matter to me because we aren't guarantee anything. Hell, I'm paying into social security funds that I will NEVER utilize so I figure I need to make the best of my life now because as history shows, things get real ugly the older we get.

Old 07-28-2010, 11:06 PM

3,113 posts, read 8,382,420 times
Many people switch careers in their 20's! It's a great time to switch.

And just because you switch doesn't mean you'll make less money forever. It's entirely possible that you'll make more over your working lifetime, if you switch to a field you feel passionate about.

Old 07-28-2010, 11:16 PM

18,735 posts, read 33,410,912 times
I think few enough people have careers in their 20s to even shift FROM!
Of course the time is fine. Best wishes.

Old 07-29-2010, 05:57 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,729,597 times
I made a total switch in my late 20s, another huge switch in my late 30s and another dramatic switch at 50. I've never stayed in a position which "I find myself more and more on the verge of just walking away from" as it doesn't seem logical to spend the majority of the day doing something which makes you miserable. I know that sounds simplistic and, once you have family responsibilities, making such choices is infinitely harder. But at your age I'd say go for it. Good luck!

Old 07-29-2010, 06:14 AM

9,855 posts, read 15,211,396 times
I am kind of in the same boat at you. I am 24, work in IT and while I like my job, it is absolutely not my ideal.

I just started going to school at night, so I will have to be patient (will not graduate for 3 years), but I am trying to build the necessary skills so I can get a job doing what I really like to do.

I wouldn't advise you to quit outright, but spend your free time going after what you love. If you work typical office hours, you will have at least 4 hours every night (mon-fri) to study/learn a new field and still have weekends to relax. Get the skills you need to get a job in a different field before you quit, but definitely work towards something better.

Old 07-29-2010, 06:26 AM

11,305 posts, read 18,902,516 times
Unless you are already married with kids, your age is probably one of the best times to switch careers! Better to find your inner happiness now rather than at a point where you really really can't afford to (or where it's forced on you by a layoff that you can't easily get a new job from).

That said, in this economic climate I would be careful and tread lightly. You are lucky to have such a good paying job now and if possible I would try to hold onto it while exploring that "other career". Good luck!

Old 07-29-2010, 06:49 AM

364 posts, read 1,080,894 times
If you're going to do it, do it now. What field are you looking to get into?

Old 07-29-2010, 06:59 AM

28,453 posts, read 85,421,872 times
Default Dream jobs often turn out to nightmares... Play lotto.

Gimme a break, you great money, sounds like you are socking a lot away too. That is what jobs are for. If you have a half a brain you will have hobbies and relationships outside of work that will bring you fulfillment.

As your dad's restaurant venture proved, most business ventures are not nearly as profitable / predictable as getting a paycheck.

Adjust your attitude. Go look at the folks EXACTLY LIKE YOU that have been laid off and out of work for a year or more! Get your head where it needs to be.

Don't get me wrong, I have switched employers MANY times, and had dramatic shifts in what I do, but I have mostly done it for money and fit. No "dream job" aspect. I get training to stay competent ,/ be more valuable. I asses my salary aginst norms. I asses the health of my employer against competitors. Do these things and you will be fine...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment