Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2010, 03:43 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,135,091 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
I really get annoyed having to smile and talk to coworkers kids and grand kids on more than one ocassion. Is it because it's summer time? Damm, this one worker brings her 14 year old daughter to the job once or twice a week. And I hate that I have to jeep watching what I say because a 14 year old is sitting behind me. Damm, I'm so looking to the forward to FALL!!!!!!!!!!!!

Anyone have this experience at their job?
Children have no right to be in the work place. I would notify the labor board in your state about this. Having children in the workplace is dangerous for both the children and the other workers. I don't know what kind of place it is you work in, but I would venture to say that the labor board has laws against it. I'd find out if they do, and what they are, and report the business if they are in violation. ASAP.

20yrsinBranson
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2010, 03:48 PM

45,392 posts, read 60,575,206 times
Quote:
Things that I feel comfortable saying around adults
Flirting with that "hostile workplace" thing again?

Old 08-08-2010, 03:53 PM

39,031 posts, read 23,020,628 times
Quote:
Things that I feel comfortable saying around adults
What on EARTH would you be discussing at work that isn't age appropriate for a 14-year old girl? You work as a career advisor so you'd think that conversation should be kept rated PG-13 and not rated R....

Old 08-08-2010, 03:55 PM
FBJ FBJ started this thread

39,605 posts, read 59,016,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Flirting with that "hostile workplace" thing again?
My point is when there are no kids around I don't have to think about what I'm going to say or do. And I get annoyed that this woman has her 14 daughter stting around listening to everyone conversation.

My last job someone bought their kids to work but it wasn't every other day like this woman is doing,

Old 08-08-2010, 04:02 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,135,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatteress View Post
What on EARTH would you be discussing at work that isn't age appropriate for a 14-year old girl? You work as a career advisor so you'd think that conversation should be kept rated PG-13 and not rated R....
I guess you have not noticed that adults talk differently than children. It is our privilege for being grown up. Where I work, I do not swear with impunity, but I will certainly let a shyte or a g-damn or even an f-bomb fly from time to time.

Children belong at home or in school. Not where ADULTS are earning a living.

20yrsinBranson

Old 08-08-2010, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
I guess you have not noticed that adults talk differently than children. It is our privilege for being grown up. Where I work, I do not swear with impunity, but I will certainly let a shyte or a g-damn or even an f-bomb fly from time to time.

20yrsinBranson

Thank You, I would treat you to dinner if I could for that great posting.

Old 08-08-2010, 05:43 PM

39,031 posts, read 23,020,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post

20yrsinBranson
if the 14 year old was a disruption in the workplace or interfered with productivity, then I can understand his concerns. But having to "watch his mouth" around a 14 year old in a professional office that provides career advising to the unemployed is hardly the type of environment where cussing and sexual talk would be considered appropriate. Other than cussing and discussing sexual exploits, I cannot see any other reason why someone has to be extra cautious in discussing with a 14-year old in earshot. More than likely, she is bored and not even paying attention to the adult conversation around her.

Now, if TVSG is concerned about client privacy, then he needs to raise that concern with his supervisors. Usually when someone is meeting with a career advisor, it is usually an appointment with the client and advisor. The 14 year old should not be allowed within earshot or else that could be an invasion of privacy for the client. If that's the case, TVSG should raise that concern with his supervisor.

Last edited by Chatteress; 08-08-2010 at 05:49 PM.. Reason: Added last paragraph regarding client privacy.

Old 08-08-2010, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatteress View Post
if the 14 year old was a disruption in the workplace or interfered with productivity, then I can understand his concerns. But having to "watch his mouth" around a 14 year old in a professional office that provides career advising to the unemployed is hardly the type of environment where cussing and sexual talk would be considered appropriate. Other than cussing and discussing sexual exploits, I cannot see any other reason why someone has to be extra cautious in discussing with a 14-year old in earshot. More than likely, she is bored and not even paying attention to the adult conversation around her.

Now, if TVSG is concerned about client privacy, then he needs to raise that concern with his supervisors. Usually when someone is meeting with a career advisor, it is usually an appointment with the client and advisor. The 14 year old should not be allowed within earshot or else that could be an invasion of privacy for the client. If that's the case, TVSG should raise that concern with his supervisor.
Maybe I want to tell a coworker a sexual joke I heard on tv last night????????????

Old 08-08-2010, 06:07 PM

45,392 posts, read 60,575,206 times
Quote:
Maybe I want to tell a coworker a sexual joke I heard on tv last night????????????

There you go flirting with those "hostile workplace" and "sexual harassment" things again.

Old 08-08-2010, 06:09 PM

3,762 posts, read 5,423,774 times
Quote:
That would probably fall under creating a hostile work environment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment