Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2010, 08:44 PM
FBJ FBJ started this thread

39,605 posts, read 59,078,337 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
So, if she called out once or twice a week because she couldn't find child care would you be here complaining that it's not fair that women with children get more time off work?
I would say she needs to be fired for not having a plan B
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2010, 08:49 PM
NSX

877 posts, read 2,170,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
Children have no right to be in the work place. I would notify the labor board in your state about this. Having children in the workplace is dangerous for both the children and the other workers. I don't know what kind of place it is you work in, but I would venture to say that the labor board has laws against it. I'd find out if they do, and what they are, and report the business if they are in violation. ASAP.

20yrsinBranson
Wouldn't go that far. I don't have kids of my own, but here and there people bring their kids/wives/husbands into my workplace (software engineering lab and office). I'm a manager there and it doesn't bother me one bit and I would never criticize an employee for this. If anything, it creates a more family friendly atmosphere and lets the employees get to know each other better.

No, they don't come during testing, meetings or conference calls and things like that. However, I see absolutely no harm in families occasionally touring the office and meeting some of the employees their family member works with.

Old 08-08-2010, 08:51 PM
FBJ FBJ started this thread

39,605 posts, read 59,078,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NSX View Post
Wouldn't go that far. I don't have kids of my own, but here and there people bring their kids/wives/husbands into my workplace (software engineering lab and office). I'm a manager there and it doesn't bother me one bit and I would never criticize an employee for this. If anything, it creates a more family friendly atmosphere and lets the employees get to know each other better.

No, they don't come during testing, meetings or conference calls and things like that. However, I see absolutely no harm in families occasionally touring the office and meeting some of the employees their family member works with.

Ocassionally yes, not every 2 days

Old 08-08-2010, 09:20 PM

42,763 posts, read 52,916,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
My point is I shouldn't have to do that because they are not supposed to be around me. That's like my landlord coing in my apartment unannounced and having a problem with me eating cereal with no clothes on-lol
Poor landlord...j/k. But really, if it bothers you this much go to HR. Submit your complaint. I really think though you are making mountains out of molehills. If others do this, you may have to deal with them ganging up on you. And aren't you suppose to be a motivational speaker? Um..that's confusing and contradicting.

Old 08-08-2010, 09:29 PM

4,796 posts, read 22,922,339 times
Quote:
here I work, I do not swear with impunity, but I will certainly let a shyte or a g-damn or even an f-bomb fly from time to time.
So you curse from time to time and you get punished for it but you keep on doing it? Or do you not know what the word 'impunity' means? I'm guessing the latter.

That kind of behavior is not appropriate in most workplaces, but if it is acceptable to your employer then why should you change your behavior just because someone brought their kid to work?

Old 08-08-2010, 09:31 PM

42,763 posts, read 52,916,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kodaka View Post
So you curse from time to time and you get punished for it but you keep on doing it? Or do you not know what the word 'impunity' means? I'm guessing the latter.

That kind of behavior is not appropriate in most workplaces, but if it is acceptable to your employer then why should you change your behavior just because someone brought their kid to work?
He wants some cheese with his big case of whine.

Old 08-08-2010, 10:09 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,668,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
So, if she called out once or twice a week because she couldn't find child care would you be here complaining that it's not fair that women with children get more time off work?
A 14yr old can be left at home.

If it is a one time thing(worked with a woman who brought her 3 yr old once, but it was an emergency) but children should not be at their parent's workplace on a regular basis.

And it has nothing to do with adult language, they just don't belong there.

Old 08-08-2010, 10:17 PM

4,796 posts, read 22,922,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
A 14yr old can be left at home.

If it is a one time thing(worked with a woman who brought her 3 yr old once, but it was an emergency) but children should not be at their parent's workplace on a regular basis.

And it has nothing to do with adult language, they just don't belong there.
This really depends entirely on the company culture and the type of work they do.

Old 08-08-2010, 10:25 PM

6,612 posts, read 12,850,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opyelie View Post
Actually TVSG, as you're so "close" with your supervisor, why don't you ask HER why?
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
I plan to tomorrow

Please don't forget to update us on that how goes for you

Old 08-08-2010, 10:54 PM

3 posts, read 11,604 times
Kids should not be allowed in the workplace. Plain and simple. Get a babysitter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment