Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2010, 03:14 PM

8,518 posts, read 15,643,526 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcb1025 View Post
Welcome to the 21st Century culture, where we're so busy with our heads down chasing the cheese that we don't feel inclined to give our fellow humanoids a smidgen of our "uber-valuable" time.

Have you noticed it? How many of you are out there are chasing your dreams while putting what's left of your relationships on the back burner until you achieve success? Sadly enough, my generation, GenY, is extremely guilty of this. Though I don't place all of the blame on them. Most of our dreams have grown so far out of reach, that many of us believe we have no choice but to remain in a perpetual state of chasing them down, no matter how long it takes or how much it costs. First, a bachelor's degree isn't enough. So now we have droves of people pursuing their Master's degree. How long before that isn't enough? 10 years? 20 years? Are they going to start creating degrees beyone the Ph.D just so we can stay "competitive"?
It's that they're struggling to compete. They just seem to have a short attention span. I saw an article a while back where young people were commenting on how it requires too much effort to write full paragraphs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2010, 03:27 PM

1,475 posts, read 2,556,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iwonderwhy2124 View Post
...is unreal.
That will start to change now that online schooling is becoming mainstream. The days of sitting in class telling the professor "You know what I'm trying to say." are over.

With online classes there will be much more writing involved.

Old 08-23-2010, 04:29 PM

1,719 posts, read 4,182,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janman345 View Post
I have to disagree, my degree in chemical engineering is probably one of the best in the world, as far as US technical universiteis and programs no other nation can touch us. It is not the new high school if you are in a high speed program. Grammer just is not relavent, especially on a message board, if im proposing a new design that will cost millions then of course it will be proof read and so forth but for every day run of the mill discussions no one really cares.
I strongly disagree and am aghast at what you just wrote and the sentiment behind it. If you had the mental acuity to make it through a difficult engineering program then you should know and correctly practise the basics of grammar, punctuation and articulation.

Old 08-23-2010, 07:25 PM

3,196 posts, read 5,398,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoyalTrust View Post
It sounds like you took offense to them not liking you or your lectures.
I take offense at them wasting my time.

If they don't want to learn, or don't like the subject, then don't go to school. The lazy students consume far too many educational services. ...but "they" think tat "they're" entitled to respect.

Old 08-23-2010, 07:27 PM

3,196 posts, read 5,398,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoyalTrust View Post
You take it to a freelance writer and pay the person to proofread it. That way it is perfect upon presentation.
...that is, if you're not competent enough to successfully finish your own work...

Old 08-23-2010, 07:33 PM

436 posts, read 755,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janman345 View Post
I have to disagree, my degree in chemical engineering is probably one of the best in the world, as far as US technical universiteis and programs no other nation can touch us. It is not the new high school if you are in a high speed program. Grammer just is not relavent, especially on a message board, if im proposing a new design that will cost millions then of course it will be proof read and so forth but for every day run of the mill discussions no one really cares.

If you think china and india are surpasing schools like MIT then your dilusional. China is about to tank and the US will always be on top.
Did you even bother to read all my posts? I said there is a difference between the tier-1 schools from the rest. And I never said China or India are surpassing schools like MIT. However, If you think MIT exemplifies the average U.S. technical college, you are delusional.

And by the way, if you went to an elite graduate science/engineering school, you would realize that many of the students are from abroad. And you obviously did not go to MIT. You do realize that almost a quarter of the undergraduates, and nearly 40% of the graduate students at MIT are international students. At Caltech, those numbers are even higher. (This is coming from someone who was accepted to their engineering program (which I declined). I also had many other international friends that attended that school, and they would all agree that grammar is always important.)

Old 08-23-2010, 10:42 PM

1,719 posts, read 4,182,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas_Thumb View Post
At Caltech, those numbers are even higher. (This is coming from someone who was accepted to their engineering program (which I declined).
You must be a damn smart dude to have been accepted to Caltech.

Old 08-24-2010, 07:17 PM

387 posts, read 533,070 times
I did so much writing and reading in my online courses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich_CD View Post
That will start to change now that online schooling is becoming mainstream. The days of sitting in class telling the professor "You know what I'm trying to say." are over.

With online classes there will be much more writing involved.

Old 08-24-2010, 07:18 PM

They paid for those educational services. And if you aren't inspiring them then I'd say you are wasting their time. Everyone is entitled to respect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcashley View Post
I take offense at them wasting my time.

If they don't want to learn, or don't like the subject, then don't go to school. The lazy students consume far too many educational services. ...but "they" think tat "they're" entitled to respect.

Old 08-24-2010, 07:20 PM

Everyone has different aptitudes and learning curves. Their ideas are what counts. They can always improve their grammar. It is never too late to learn. I improved in my grammar and reference abilities when I was in college not in high school. A very patient professor helped me. I was making B's in her coursework. And she said if I just improved my grammar I could make A's. So I did that. And there you go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcashley View Post
...that is, if you're not competent enough to successfully finish your own work...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment