Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2010, 07:15 PM

221 posts, read 799,220 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by iwonderwhy2124 View Post
...is unreal.

I'm not saying that they all should have impeccable grammar and spelling, but there should be a minimum standard of coherence. I don't care about a mildly misplaced semi-colon or an incorrect tense of a word. But, spelling pursue as "persue"? Using "your" when it should be "you're"? Dear Lord. Have standards really dropped this low when it comes to post-secondary education? Can people even write a paragraph anymore?

"i have a bachlors degree. i wanted to persue business with a miner in economics. i think i was well prepared for the career world with my schooling."
Wow. And with spell check too? lol. I admit, when I type on boards and the net, I'm typing fast and sometimes don't proofread. But spelling and grammar mistakes like those should have been corrected at a very early age. I wouldn't even say college.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2010, 08:23 PM

201 posts, read 432,122 times
Thats because its not all that important, the few fields that are making any money are technical fields, so long as you know the technical jargon and how to solve problems writing skills like you are talking about most dont care about so long as you can communicate ideas. After all isent that the point of language and not to nit pick technicalities. Now if the grammer is so horrible that you have no idea what the heck they are even talking about thats another thing.

About the only place I can think of where perfect grammer is important is on a resume or a contract/legal document, so I guess if your buisness is contract law or legal then its not relavent, there may be some other fields (obvously a writer lol). Most people dont need to be able to write to the level you are refering to.

Old 08-22-2010, 08:51 PM

387 posts, read 533,070 times
But I thought institutions were about learning? The students wouldn't have finished their degrees and diplomas if they didn't want to learn. I think most of the blame can be attributed to the teachers and professors. When I was in high school and college it was all self-taught. My grammar didn't improve until a professor started to answer my questions on grammar and writing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas_Thumb View Post
The reason for "the lackluster writing skills of college graduates" is due to...
1. "the lackluster writing skills of high school students"
2. "the lackluster 'crappy' college admission offices which accepts these students"
3. "the lackluster grading policy of many 'crappy' colleges"

Old 08-22-2010, 08:56 PM

3,196 posts, read 5,398,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janman345 View Post
Thats because its not all that important, the few fields that are making any money are technical fields, so long as you know the technical jargon and how to solve problems writing skills like you are talking about most dont care about so long as you can communicate ideas. After all isent that the point of language and not to nit pick technicalities. Now if the grammer is so horrible that you have no idea what the heck they are even talking about thats another thing.

About the only place I can think of where perfect grammer is important is on a resume or a contract/legal document, so I guess if your buisness is contract law or legal then its not relavent, there may be some other fields (obvously a writer lol). Most people dont need to be able to write to the level you are refering to.
How about in a presentation to your bosses' boss?

Old 08-22-2010, 08:57 PM

If it was that important then they would have it proof read.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcashley View Post
How about in a presentation to your bosses' boss?

Old 08-22-2010, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoyalTrust View Post
But I thought institutions were about learning? The students wouldn't have finished their degrees and diplomas if they didn't want to learn. I think most of the blame can be attributed to the teachers and professors. When I was in high school and college it was all self-taught. My grammar didn't improve until a professor started to answer my questions on grammar and writing.
What about the students' responsibilities? Why do most not even try?

Old 08-22-2010, 09:04 PM

Are you sure about that? The grading system is extremely subjective in the liberal arts and many other subjects.

Math, statistics, finance, accounting, chemistry, physics, engineering, pre-med are the only truly objective subjects of study. I don't know of any frat boy losers who can easily excel in those courses without studying. They may repeat classes because they failed or withdrew from them. However, why is that a problem for you? Maybe his skills will become better when he takes the class with another professor? Maybe he will develop his technical skills at an internship?

Sociology, social work, psychology, advertising, marketing, business management, philosophy, political science, literature studies, painting, sculpting, photography, film, and ethnic studies can swing to any persuasion or ideology. Everything is virtually subjective in nature with those subjects of study.

Art history, history, and earth sciences involve mostly memorization.

My point is that I doubt anyone is getting by just because they are rich. Maybe they are afforded more information. Maybe they are treated with more respect and attention because they are rich. Maybe they have the money to retake classes when they need to improve their GPA. If they are incompetent outside of their job it may be because they have forgotten everything, or became bored with their field of study. Maybe they learn in a hostile atmosphere? Dorms are terrible places to learn. There are many other factors to not living up to the standards of perfection other than being a spoiled no-good frat boy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HumboldtParkShiner View Post

Nowadays any frat boy loser with rich parents can be churned out of college via money, and be qualified for higher up positions. Hence, the idiots referenced by the OP- stupid spoiled brats whose parents paid for them through their whole life, and think the world should be handed to them because they have a degree, regardless of hard work, passion and, evidently, even intelligence. Even worse is that these kids end up getting the higher up positions because of daddy's or mommy's connections in the work force and company's, sometimes financially and almost always morally, go down the toilet. Compare Wal-Mart's old president and founder Sam Walton vs. modern day CEO Mike Duke, for instance.

Why people haven't woken up to the college/university scam yet just goes to show how ridiculously ignorant our country is. I went to a private school, DePaul University, and it was a pathetic, yet expensive, joke.

Last edited by LoyalTrust; 08-22-2010 at 09:15 PM..

Old 08-22-2010, 09:13 PM

Why is that your concern? For all you know the student hates the field of study. And is feeling his or her way through it? Maybe he or she hates the professors? Maybe they want to change majors? Maybe they want to change schools? Everything doesn't always point to lazy, no good, bad, horrible, terrible person because they do not live up to your standards of perfection.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcashley View Post
What about the students' responsibilities? Why do most not even try?

Old 08-22-2010, 09:35 PM

Quote:
If it was that important then they would have it proof read.
WWhy should THEY proofread YOUR work?

Old 08-22-2010, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Why is that your concern? For all you know the student hates the field of study. And is feeling his or her way through it? Maybe he or she hates the professors? Maybe they want to change majors? Maybe they want to change schools? Everything doesn't always point to lazy, no good, bad, horrible, terrible person because they do not live up to your standards of perfection.
...and that's precisely the thinking that caused me to flunk them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment