Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-27-2010, 02:27 PM

3,739 posts, read 4,636,205 times

Advertisements

It can be also said that if you have a female boss that displays this type of behavior, you can bet your bottom dollar that she can and will prevent you from progressing in a company. She will always want to be the top dog. She will use her authority over you and she will surely let you know who the Queen Bee is.

Now I am not saying ALL female bosses are this way, but many of them are.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2010, 02:46 PM

2,043 posts, read 5,524,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hopefulone View Post
It can be also said that if you have a female boss that displays this type of behavior, you can bet your bottom dollar that she can and will prevent you from progressing in a company. She will always want to be the top dog. She will use her authority over you and she will surely let you know who the Queen Bee is.

That's exactly why I just quit my recent job of 8 months. Not only was she a Queen Bee who got there because the husband was CEO, she was totally unqualified for the director of operations job. With my 15 years experience in corporate America as well as being an entrepreneur, I would have done a better job. She was also an exceptional SADIST Queen Bee. She took pleasure in humiliating people, yelling and setting them up to fail with time consuming, difficult and pointless assignments. To say she was an a**hole is giving her a compliment. I really should have quit after 3 moths, the probationary period. I decided to stick it out as I really needed to put something on my resume and some money. Now I have to worry about getting a reference from that horrid place. I have a coworker and former client as references. Obviously I left without notice as I was treated incredibly humanely.It is almost like the lesson there was "forget working 15 years on your own, just marry some CEO and him install you as the other C-level exec.Who needs to be qualified? Look how well that ***** did. Unless they get divorced, she will never lose HER job - while the employee turnover rate keeps going and going and going. That's MY story and now I only want to work for a man.

Old 08-27-2010, 02:49 PM

5,751 posts, read 10,379,815 times
Quote:

My sister is a Queen Bee like this (she'll fully admit it)... She is an MBA in corporate america and always stressed out about the latest office politics and how to play her hand successfully.... She is in complete CYA mode... I love her to death and she is more than capable of playing that role. Just hope her health/personal life doesn't suffer and they don't push her aside at mid-life, mid-management. Seen it happen like that many times before - that's when they call in business consultants like me to grow a business.

After college, I quickly learned I didn't want to play that kind of game so I started my own business. Best decision I ever made...

Old 08-27-2010, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystique13 View Post
Obviously I left without notice as I was treated incredibly humanely.
Correction "incredibly inhumanely."

I'm not going to go into the details of the things that occurred within the 8 month period as it would take up so much space it would be like writing a book. And of course, someone would say "well, if it was that bad why didn't you leave earlier?" Well, we are in a recession and I have a single income house. So yes, it's very real.

Old 08-27-2010, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCUBS1 View Post
After college, I quickly learned I didn't want to play that kind of game so I started my own business. Best decision I ever made...
That's what I should have done when I graduated too. You don't have to worry about bosses like that or coworkers who undermine. I've been thinking a lot about starting my own biz or going into partnership, or even being an independent contractor again.There's so much freedom in that. You can always get rid of a nasty female client. But a boss or supervisor? You will have to leave for another job.

Old 08-27-2010, 04:23 PM

7,364 posts, read 14,676,925 times
Quote:
And I stand by mine. If you do not have any story to share regarding this topic, then why post in it? If you have not witnessed anything of this nature, then why comment? Oh that's right. To tell others they are just making a big deal out of nothing and complaining. If you don't like what is posted, why read it?

But it is a big deal and just by seeing the sheer number of people posting in this topic stating their experiences, I can see they are right.

This is not a "support the office bullies" thread.

I am done with you seeing as how you feel the need to step on others' toes and tell them they are complaining. Feel free to respond, but I won't see your post.
I shared my opinion, as I am entitled to do. That it upsets you isn't my fault nor is it my problem. And frankly, it doesn't concern me either.

Old 08-27-2010, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCUBS1 View Post
I have not given you any specific details on what I call "cattiness," so I'm not sure how you have reached your conclusion about "people like me." I can appreciate a good, logical argument. I was not specifically referring to your posts, just to some of the name-calling in this thread (specifically in the first couple pages).

p.s. I believe "cattiness" is when a woman personally and often inaccurately attacks a person's character, rather than logically addressing the points of their argument or their work performance. Sarcasm, bragging, and stereotyping may often be viewed as cattiness. Women are very intuitive and can read between the lines when it comes to these types of behaviour....
I referred to your post not because of you personally, only to address the specific words you typed.

Isn't it interesting that only women are called catty? Since your definition of "cattiness" only applies to women (my phrase "people like you" does work, given your above postscript), what do you call a man who exhibits the same behaviors you have listed?

Last edited by OngletNYC; 08-27-2010 at 04:45 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 08-27-2010, 04:32 PM

14 posts, read 39,902 times
I dealt with it - for eight years. Diane was the queen of the office. I was pegged as her beitch even before I started the job. It was absolute heil. In our third office, she realmed in her Queendom. It really turned into heil. I did eventually get fired.

The problem is she is the queen and you are too far beneath her (as far as she is concerned).

Old 08-27-2010, 04:44 PM

3,739 posts, read 4,636,205 times
That is sad and pathetic Mary that you went through it for so long. But you know what? You will always have people that will defend these maniacal female coworkers/bosses and to tell you that you are overreacting and have no reason to complain.

Makes me wonder if these people that defend this type of behavior act this way in the office themselves?

Old 08-27-2010, 04:48 PM

Quote:
That is sad and pathetic Mary that you went through it for so long. But you know what? You will always have people that will defend these maniacal female coworkers/bosses and to tell you that you are overreacting and have no reason to complain.

Makes me wonder if these people that defend this type of behavior act this way in the office themselves?
The way you refuse to even entertain a differing point of view from a woman, tell me that any office problems you've had with women have probably stemmed from yourself. You probably resent being told what to do by a woman - common among women and men - and view every little thing you are told as a personal affront. Your posts to me bear this out. And it would explain why women supposedly keep you from progressing in companies.

To get respect, you have to give respect.

I don't know why you cling to a formula that clearly doesn't work in your favor, but that's your prerogative.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment