Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2010, 03:44 PM

2,189 posts, read 7,706,112 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunwyn View Post
This might be a surprise for some, but for at least the women I work with, they're certainly a bunch of fashionistas. They dress well, as opposed to common stereotypes. I also notice a disparity when it comes to fitness. Granted, my sample here is a few dozen (or more), but these women are generally fit. We do have yoga, meditation, and a variety of classes (kick boxing, etc) offered on site. Any way, successful people tend to look successful, but that's not why they're hired. Working in the sciences, ime, far exceeds focusing on books. It's hard work and a person has to be motivated, committed, and intelligent.

I imagine it's similar in most professional industries.

Again, you're only speaking to the low-skilled genre of certain spaces. If smarts, commitment, and intelligence aren't requirements for the job, then I ask again, what difference does it make if a person is hired due to looks?
You're so far beyond the scope of the post...You know the saying, if you can't beat 'em, join 'em...

If you want to apply for a stripper position...Should you get a your PhD first THEN apply or get fake boobs out of HS?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2010, 03:51 PM

19,046 posts, read 25,212,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJagMan View Post

If you want to apply for a stripper position...Should you get a your PhD first THEN apply or get fake boobs out of HS?
I don't get it.

Old 09-03-2010, 04:07 PM

6,612 posts, read 12,849,046 times
Quote:
Fake boobs better than a degree?
Maybe, but only for females

Old 09-03-2010, 04:17 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,651,067 times
Quote:
You're so far beyond the scope of the post...You know the saying, if you can't beat 'em, join 'em...

I met a stripper at a night club in Reno a few years back who had a Masters in Chemical Engineering. She said stripping paid more so she was sticking with that until her looks 'faded', then she would go back to engineering.

It kind of threw me off, to be honest.

Old 09-03-2010, 06:25 PM

2,043 posts, read 5,526,667 times
Does she realize that ageism is real? They might not want her once "her looks fade." There people in their 40s who are already complaining about age discrimination.Anyway. To each his own. She'll see the hard way when the time comes.

Old 09-03-2010, 09:22 PM

543 posts, read 3,079,168 times
What were their job titles? What kind of work did they do?

Old 09-04-2010, 03:12 PM

4,908 posts, read 3,368,103 times
Not exactly a well-hidden secret that plenty of male managers would prefer to hire a hot woman vs a fugly one....

Old 09-06-2010, 10:23 AM

3,982 posts, read 10,469,291 times
I worked at a small office recently. The receptionist there was not good at her job, but she did dress to show alot of cleavage. I assume that is one of the reasons she was hired.

She was later let go. Not because she wasnt good at the job, but because she missed so much time.

Old 09-06-2010, 11:21 AM

2,189 posts, read 7,706,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunwyn View Post
I don't get it.
You took it to one extreme, skill only. I took it to the other extreme, looks only.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
I met a stripper at a night club in Reno a few years back who had a Masters in Chemical Engineering. She said stripping paid more so she was sticking with that until her looks 'faded', then she would go back to engineering.

It kind of threw me off, to be honest.
Exception to the rule, if what she said is even true. I'm not going to say that strippers who strip for drugs are the majority, but will say if you strip and do drugs, you have a weaker moral compass than most and can't be surprised that they would lie. Therefore they'll probably get you to give them more money (more drugs) if they say they're going to school then if they said they need their hourly meth fix...

I've heard this scenario a few times...A girl would strip while attending college, it's their only job, they do it to pay the bills and for spending money. Their grades slip as the late work hours cut into their sleep and study time. They determine they're only going to take one semester off and ultimately never go back.

Old 09-06-2010, 01:48 PM

19,046 posts, read 25,212,015 times
Quote:
You took it to one extreme, skill only. I took it to the other extreme, looks only.
I thought this thread was about looks vs skill. Not looks and skill vs just skill. No?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment