Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2011, 10:52 PM

2,279 posts, read 3,973,942 times

Advertisements

I just finished an interview process for a job that probably pays around the low to mid-$40k range (but hey, apparently that's living big these days). Here's what I had to do during this process:

1) Apply for the position through the company website while formatting resume and cover letter to fit specific job description
2) 30 Minute Phone Interview
3) Skills assessment
4) Filled out another application via the company website
5) 2.5 hour long interview with five separate people
6) Five individual thank you letters for the interview

This has been one of the longest interview processes I've ever gone through so far, and for a very modest paying job. Maybe this is the wave of the future, where we will withstand an extensive testing and vetting process for even the most basic jobs. Who knows, maybe they'll test our physical condition eventually through an extensive cardio drill. haha

PS Despite the rigors of the interview process, I still hope to get this job and work for this company.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2011, 12:45 AM

459 posts, read 1,744,765 times
I'm having to go through quite a bit in a lot of my interviews as well as a recent college grad.

The process I am a part of right now I have had 2 phone interviews, in person interview, lengthy application, and I had to write a 2 page essay. They had told me there will probably be a second in person interview in the next couple of days as well.

Another job I applied for they made me sit and take a skills test along with a small writing sample.

Old 06-22-2011, 07:02 AM

3,739 posts, read 4,636,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthStarDelight View Post
That's what I've done, for years and years already - I gave up on the "job thing" even before this "silent depression" even started.

I'm telling you, reading about your stories of trying to get a job in this country just makes me as crap....it really shouldn't be this way.

I just wish we'd get Huey Long back - now, there's a man who would set things right in this country, and despite what you might have heard, he was NOT a commie - just a populist that had very good ideas of how to manage our capitalistic system to serve everyone who was *willing to work* in a fair, even-handed manner - kinda like what we had in the post WWII era.

Any of you paying attention to what's going on in Greece? That's us, in the near future. At least they're willing to take to the streets to win back their cherished rights - I can only hope my fellow American brothers and sisters will be ready to do the same when times get really hard - and trust me, that day will come sooner than you think.
Very true, especially your last sentence.

Old 06-22-2011, 10:40 AM

28 posts, read 124,303 times
I've been on several interviews where I've had to jump thru hoops and didn't get the position and they don't even have the common decency to let me know that I didn't get the job at all or they didn't send a professional email stating that I didn't get it. I'm so tired of wasting my time! Most of these jobs I don't really want in the first place, but I just want to make more money than I'm making now and get my foot in the door. I'm really just thinking about going back to school and focusing on what I really want to do in an area that has better opportunities for that profession.

Old 06-22-2011, 10:48 AM

2,279 posts, read 3,973,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OHthePossibilities View Post
Most of these jobs I don't really want in the first place
Maybe this shows during the interview.

Old 06-22-2011, 10:54 AM

2,043 posts, read 5,524,257 times
Some of you need to stop blaming the job seekers/applicants. You don't watch objective news shows or objective newspapers? The media is more objective about what's happening in Greece, Yemen and Egypt. They whitewash what's happening here. If this country is supposed to be "the best place" on Earth, it couldn't care less about the unemployed. We're definitely becoming a third world nation.

Old 06-22-2011, 10:56 AM

These interviews only serve to fill empty down down for the employers, as well as provide some form of entertainment, because the hoop jumping is out of control. You know some of them are loving this hoop jumping circus. The same employers will continue to have a high turn over rate.

Old 06-22-2011, 10:57 AM

28 posts, read 124,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z3N1TH 0N3 View Post
Maybe this shows during the interview.
Possibly... but it seems like the jobs I'm really interested in, I never hear anything back from them. I've been taking a break from applying altogether recently. Still searching, but not applying as much.

Old 06-22-2011, 10:58 AM

Correction: I meant "down time" not "down down."

Old 06-22-2011, 10:58 AM

3,739 posts, read 4,636,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystique13 View Post
Some of you need to stop blaming the job seekers/applicants. You don't watch objective news shows or objective newspapers? The media is more objective about what's happening in Greece, Yemen and Egypt. They whitewash what's happening here. If this country is supposed to be "the best place" on Earth, it couldn't care less about the unemployed. We're definitely becoming a third world nation.
I agree with the bolded Mystique. Every time I turn around it's the job seeker that is being blamed. It is not ALWAYS the job seeker that is wrong. But you won't find a shortage of articles on Yahoo about what applicant's should and should not be doing. What about making some articles about what the employers should and shouldn't be doing?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment