Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2010, 06:10 PM

580 posts, read 2,295,714 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
It's not stupid at all. When you seriously take a look at it, there's no good reason for prices of anything to be as high as they are. They're ALL too high.
That's exactly why $10 an hour isn't good enough.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2010, 06:15 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,330,228 times
Quote:
Because it's overpriced. There's no reason a chunk of land, or a home, is worth more than...$10,000.

You are trying to make a joke - right?

Old 11-08-2010, 06:31 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,224,182 times
Quote:
It's not stupid at all. When you seriously take a look at it, there's no good reason for prices of anything to be as high as they are. They're ALL too high.
It's just numbers man. In your world you get $10/hr and land costs $10,000. In my world I get $250/hr and land costs $250,000. It's the same ratio... same buying power.

Making $10/hr and land costing $250,000 is when you know you're at the bottom of the chain.

Old 11-08-2010, 06:49 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,548,620 times
Quote:
I don't think that ANYONE should get more than $10 an hour. I don't care if you're an award winning lawyer or surgeon or scientist. No one alive needs to make more than $10 an hour.

A doctor needs it to pay off his tuition. If everybody made 10 bucks an hour there would be no more doctors, lawyers,dentists, pilots, cops, fire fighters, teachers.... and the list goes on. because nobody would waste years of education to be a brain-surgeon, even if it was free, or risk his life every day to protect your safety,to earn a whopping 10 bucks an hour. What are your reasoning behind this?

Old 11-08-2010, 10:46 PM

4,098 posts, read 7,120,617 times
Its hard to second guess questions like that. I think it depends on your age, your experience, and what kind of job you are looking at. If it is a job anyone off the street could do, don't click the minimum wage button, choose something in the middle. If it is a very technical job and you have no experience clicking the top pay bracket would be foolish. But you have already choosen which to click, so now it makes no difference.

Old 11-08-2010, 11:03 PM

30,438 posts, read 52,081,354 times
Quote:
I don't think that ANYONE should get more than $10 an hour. I don't care if you're an award winning lawyer or surgeon or scientist. No one alive needs to make more than $10 an hour.
Seriously dude, I'm beginning to wonder about you... people work hard to increase their knowledge (through schooling/training), and you think they deserve the same as those who didn't? And I don't know where you live, but around here $10/hr is barely enough to support shared housing & Top Ramen for dinner.

You must be very sheltered, live in an extremely cheap area, and/or you're supported by an outside source - that's all I can come up with to explain your lack of logical thinking. Sorry, but I didn't waste all that time & money on my education, not to mention my years of work experience, to make the same as somebody straight out of high school. What would be the point of bettering yourself and working, if the salary cap was barely enough to live on? Methinks you might be a fan of Karl Marx.

Edit: I do know where you live, and it's a place where $10/hr probably IS enough to live on... too bad I live in California, and have zero desire to move to Florida.

Last edited by gizmo980; 11-08-2010 at 11:35 PM..

Old 11-08-2010, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
So I would say, unless you are truly willing to work for a very low wage, don't put it down because once they get it in their heads that you "are a bargain" they will not want to back down and give you a higher wage, but will try and lowball you even more.
I have faced these "salary buttons" before, and would have to agree with the above statement... don't put less than you or the job are worth, or they'll assume no negotiations are necessary. You're cheap labor, after all! Even when I was entry-level & getting the first job in my field, I requested more than the minimum salary - they negotiated a bit lower, and we settled somewhere in the middle. If I'd started at the bottom, that's precisely what I would have gotten.

Old 11-08-2010, 11:33 PM

Quote:
You may be right, but how exactly do you plan to solve that problem? I don't think we can undo thousands of years of social progression, and most of us do live in reality... and not everyone is happy working for (permanently) low wages, never buying a home, never eating out, not driving a car, etc. I'm happy for you if you're happy living that way, but to assume we're all the same is pretty ignorant and self-absorbed. Oh yeah, I forgot - you fully admitted you have no regards for anyone but yourself, so I guess this is a logical thought coming from TKramar's world.

Old 11-09-2010, 02:52 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,742,532 times
And there's something wrong with that? After all, no one else is going to do it.

Old 11-09-2010, 03:03 AM

1,873 posts, read 4,420,168 times
Yeah, on any application I always put "standard starting wage."

But if minimum and $15 were the only options, I think you made the right choice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment