Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2012, 12:19 PM

26,694 posts, read 14,569,031 times

Advertisements

Grave diggers. This is a 5 years old topic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2012, 12:30 PM

Location: where people are either too stupid to leave or too stuck to move
3,982 posts, read 6,688,919 times
alert him, give him probation, let him know he should never mess up (as far as dishonesty)again, and this is his first warning/chance, and he will not get another one again. nowadays most people can't get experience without experience, so he had to get in some way to prove he had what it took to work for you, other wise he probably would have never got the chance.

Old 08-16-2012, 12:31 PM

Location: where people are either too stupid to leave or too stuck to move
3,982 posts, read 6,688,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
Grave diggers. This is a 5 years old topic.
im just now noticing this after writing a paragraph

Old 08-16-2012, 12:57 PM

1,140 posts, read 1,301,532 times
He may have taken the job from a qualified applicant that worked a long time to gain the experience necessary for the job.

Old 08-16-2012, 03:59 PM

30,253 posts, read 23,742,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdelena View Post
It shows a character flaw and demonstrates a history of dishonest actions. I could never trust that individual and would immediately discharge him.
Have to agree with this.

He may be the cat's meow but he played you all for a fool. That would not sit well with me, knowing he sat there for an entire year, KNOWING he lied to everyone.

Old 08-17-2012, 11:53 AM

629 posts, read 1,234,046 times
This reminds me of the movie Hitch. Would you have noticed him otherwise? Too much potential is wasted because no one wants to take a chance on someone without the right credentials. Not everyone is given the same opportunities or know the right people. How will they get themselves noticed? He's proved that he can thrive in this company without the "experiences" you believe were neccessary. The hiring process needs to be reramped so potential stops slipping through the cracks.

Finally his dishonest actions also show the creative methods he can use to succeed. If he applied them to the company who knows what he could accomplish. How many dishonest, backstabbing success stories are there in this world? Probation and maybe a pay cut would work. Fire him and you throw away great potential for the possibilty of hiring someone with a great resume and no work ethic.

Old 08-18-2012, 06:10 AM

10,834 posts, read 14,938,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post
Maybe the guy is young, knew what he was capable of but no one would give him a shot because he had no prior experience.....some of those HR peeps can be BRUTAL!!!

I say if he's that good and it was nothing criminal...keep him but let him know you found him out....jmo
This is the correct answer and if he is better than anyone else I would give him a raise putting him in charge of all those people who seem to forget why a company is in business.

What todays HR managers seem to forget is many of those large companies they work for started out with a little fraud, a little larceny. In the meeting with IBM Bill Gates claimed to have DOS operating system but he didn't... he lied and it wasn't a small lie either.

Imagine what would happen with some of the HR managers today if a guy like Bill Gates reported back that he lied to the biggest customer and now you needed to come up with something fast. He would be fired because he put the companies good name in jeopardy which is why the very best don't work for someone else.

Old 08-18-2012, 07:13 AM

1,412 posts, read 4,485,769 times
I would fire him. Obviously he is not a superstar, unless your firm is NinjaInc, and subterfuge is a everyday thing.

Old 08-18-2012, 08:12 AM

3,276 posts, read 7,845,843 times
Nope.

He had enough self respect and guts to do what he needed to do in order to land the job.

I've said many times that if I have to lie to get a job, I won't hesitate to do it. At the end of the day, it is all about survival and being able to take care of your family.

This guy is great at what he does, and him lying was just an act of self preservation. You said he is a top performer. Isn't that all that should really matter?

Old 08-18-2012, 08:33 AM

398 posts, read 1,365,804 times
Honesty is more important than profit in capitalism?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment