Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-08-2010, 07:00 PM

1,045 posts, read 2,659,751 times

Advertisements

So I recently went in for an interview and thought I did alright for the most part. I didn't think I would actually get the position, but I was told today that assuming my reference checks go OK, then I get the job. They want at least one reference from my current employer. I don't want to give them my current manager's number. I could give them my previous manager's number (he works for the same company and he works nearby me now). The thing is, I want to make sure he keeps it confidential at least until the offer is official and I give the two weeks notice. I would be working for a different company so I don't know if he would be willing to do it or not in the first place. I know he really liked me when I was an intern with him. There shouldn't be any reason why he wouldn't mind just being a reference for me I would think? Is this a good idea? I want to make sure I am playing my cards correctly here before I make it to the end. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2010, 07:59 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,664,249 times
JMO, I don't think too much of companies who ask for a reference from you're current employer. It puts you the candidate in a very awkward position. The "cat is out of the bag" so to speak. If they don't hire you than your current employer knows you're looking.

Did you ask if they would accept references from past employers?

I think you're smart not to tell your current boss about this, if you think you can trust your former supervisor to not say anything than go ahead.

But I don't think it is out of line for you to say "I would prefer to use references from past jobs." The point of interviewing is not to get you fired from you're current job.

If this company that you interviewed at "doesn't get" that they're asking you to really go out on a limb and could be putting you're current position at risk, I would question what they're like to work for.

JMO.

Old 12-08-2010, 08:11 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,069,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
JMO, I don't think too much of companies who ask for a reference from you're current employer. It puts you the candidate in a very awkward position. The "cat is out of the bag" so to speak. If they don't hire you than your current employer knows you're looking.

I think you're smart not to tell your current boss about this, if you think you can trust your former supervisor to not say anything than go ahead.

But I don't think it is out of line for you to say "I would prefer to use references from past jobs." The point of interviewing is not to get you fired from you're current job.

If this company that you interviewed at "doesn't get" that they're asking you to really go out on a limb and could be putting you're current position at risk, I would question what they're like to work for.

JMO.

This is why I'm still trying to figure out to find another job while you still have one

Old 12-08-2010, 08:48 PM

6,952 posts, read 22,703,066 times
I would be very reluctant to request references from current employers or managers at my place of employment before I had an offer. Do you have copies of performance review materials from your current employer that you could share with them? It is pretty unprofessional of them to expect you reveal your job search unless you are looking for another position for a really, really good reason. I'd go back and discuss this further with them, they have to understand the awkwardness of this situation and if they won't accept other ways to learn about you as an employee/worker, maybe you shouldn't move forward with this particular company.

Old 12-08-2010, 08:48 PM

1,045 posts, read 2,659,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post

JMO.
Thanks. I'm fairly confident that my previous boss wouldn't tell on my current boss. There's no reason for him to I suppose. He works in a different group/program. I know that a lot of people within my company tend to stay their whole working life too, so they might feel threatened by my move to another company in a way. On the other hand, I know how nice of a guy he is and how much he liked me, so I have no reason to believe he would do something like that. Yet, I am still paranoid about it I guess.

Old 12-08-2010, 09:03 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,664,249 times
I think Squirl had an excellent idea, ask if copies of performance reviews would suffice and also references from past employers.

I'm not saying this would happen but if use anyone at your current company for a reference and you don't get the job, and down the line you're current company has layoffs this might be brought up. "You know Caldus was looking for other jobs 4 months ago".

I would go back to them and maybe even in a joking manner say " I really want to work for you, but I don't want to find myself out of a job either"...I knows it awkward but I think a reasonable person would see they're asking you to put yourself at risk.

If push comes to shove and they won't accept other references then you can ask this guy, but again I think they're asking too much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment