Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2010, 05:44 PM

4,379 posts, read 5,386,339 times

Advertisements

I think my co-worker and I are the best members of our team.

We both work as security consultants for a company in the UK. I want to compete with her, and on these bases:

- I am better at her from a communication standpoint. My boss says I can write, and I am noted in our department for being very articulate. I also speak up a lot in meetings, she does not.

- In terms of knowledge of security systems, I know more than her in some regard. This relates to things such as intrusion detection, and PSIM. But she has specialty in fire alarm systems, but it is not difficult to learn the rudiments of one (I already do know).

- I dress the best in my team, and am known the most amongst persons who matter. A few of the universities top management know me, and I am known to have impressed them. I have produced presentations in which VPs have mentioned to me that they're well constructed and compiled. She has not lol...

So, how should I compete with her?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2010, 06:28 PM

172 posts, read 418,772 times
It might be a bad idea to go into work every day to compete with this person. It might become real obvious real quick, making you look bad, making all of your hard work not pay off. Just go to work every day and do your best and make sure your superiors know. Good things will come.

Old 12-23-2010, 06:40 PM

2,186 posts, read 7,946,898 times
You certainly sound like you believe you are better but believing and actually being better are two different things. Sometimes overly confident people like you appear to be turn that confidence into arrogance. So, it may be worth just taking a bite of humble pie and letting your employers be the judge of who is more worthy. In the meantime, just do your job and don't worry about her. There is no need to be so competitive. Frankly, it isn't fair to judge who is better as you are only telling your side. Frankly, team players are usually more rewarded.

Old 12-23-2010, 09:39 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,157,110 times
How should you compete with her? You don't. Just go and do your job.

Old 12-24-2010, 12:15 AM

39,031 posts, read 23,029,434 times
Companies these days are looking for employees who are effective team players and not those who are trying to compete against their team mates.

Old 12-24-2010, 06:50 AM

3,337 posts, read 7,123,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatteress View Post
Companies these days are looking for employees who are effective team players and not those who are trying to compete against their team mates.
Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
How should you compete with her? You don't. Just go and do your job.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alley01 View Post
You certainly sound like you believe you are better but believing and actually being better are two different things. Sometimes overly confident people like you appear to be turn that confidence into arrogance. So, it may be worth just taking a bite of humble pie and letting your employers be the judge of who is more worthy. In the meantime, just do your job and don't worry about her. There is no need to be so competitive. Frankly, it isn't fair to judge who is better as you are only telling your side. Frankly, team players are usually more rewarded.
Quote:
Originally Posted by iliketrains View Post
It might be a bad idea to go into work every day to compete with this person. It might become real obvious real quick, making you look bad, making all of your hard work not pay off. Just go to work every day and do your best and make sure your superiors know. Good things will come.
Excellento to all

Old 12-24-2010, 07:01 AM

4,796 posts, read 22,911,216 times
Starting from such an arrogant standpoint is a sure way to lose a competition--although I sincerely doubt that such a competition even exists to the employer; it's probably entirely made up in OP's mind.

Old 12-24-2010, 07:09 AM

26,142 posts, read 31,195,080 times
You may be surprised at how much personailty is a determining factor in promotions. Yours sounds like it could use a little tune up.

Old 12-24-2010, 11:44 AM

2,687 posts, read 7,412,200 times
Lightbulb Two questions...

1. What are you competing for?
2. How is your attendance? You never mentioned either one.
Koale

Old 12-24-2010, 01:55 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,648,684 times
The OP is very arrogant, read some of his other posts.

He got very snotty with the guy who asked for some help with an upcoming interview and how to handle technical questions.

What kind of person does that to someone who is concerned about an upcoming interview? If you can't offer some advice, say nothing.

As others have said, go to work and do your job. You're not competing for a spot on the Olympics.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment