Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2011, 01:18 PM

126 posts, read 724,615 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReturningWest View Post
You are very lucky, in my state of GA we have nothing like this
How about (I googled the phrase, "georgia 211"):

United Way of Metro Atlanta 2-1-1 Community Resource Database

Community Connection 211
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2011, 01:41 PM

6,952 posts, read 22,690,784 times
Matt, I am very sad for you and I just know someday you will be an old man and you'll be telling younger people that whatever doesn't kill you will make you stronger. I know that is no comfort right now tho. Two things I would do. I would go try to check into a homeless shelter. Sometimes social services are set up that only deliver when a certain level of desperation is met. If you actually checked inas homeless, I believe other social services would be made available to you. At least drop in and visit, telling them they are probably going to be you next destination and find out what they can tell you about services. The other thing I would do is drop post high school education from your resume and start applying for anything, including flipping burgers. Lastly, go to your local unemployment office for guidance....tell them your situation.....at least talk to them, they may knw if special training programs that are free. Try local temporary agencies for day work too. My heart goes out to you. Perhaps your grandmother or best aunt can give you some advice. Are you on facebook? make sure your friends all know that things are getting very scary for you.

Old 01-14-2011, 01:43 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,149,725 times
Your family would let you go homeless instead of taking you in?

Old 01-14-2011, 02:24 PM

4,585 posts, read 12,366,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caldercay View Post
Because I get food stamps I have a case worker and there is NOTHING available to me as a single woman. All those list are for anything related to the local welfare office so there is still no help for utilities, mortgage payments etc. Georgia services have been cut and gutted, they may still list them but it's all over the local news that there is no money for help.

Old 01-14-2011, 04:59 PM

22,278 posts, read 21,733,087 times
Wait a minute. Before we get too invested in this OP's story, something isn't adding up.

In his first post in this thread, he indicates this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattP51P47 View Post
Behind 3 months on rent, will be losing internet connection in Feb. No family or friends to help. Networking does not work.
But in the other Networking thread, he writes that he has tried:

Quote:
Networking with family: Mom, Dad, Sister, Cousins, affluent Aunt and Uncle.
Matt, are you saying these people in your life would allow you to become homeless?

I hope you will help us understand the true picture so we can help most effectively.

Last edited by zentropa; 01-14-2011 at 05:28 PM..

Old 01-14-2011, 06:10 PM

460 posts, read 1,140,234 times
Ditch a resume for now and start showing up at day labor places to get some cash coming in and maybe make some new connections. You need it NOW.

Old 01-16-2011, 10:57 AM

2,046 posts, read 5,588,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
Your family would let you go homeless instead of taking you in?

It could be the family or it could be the individuals desire not to lean on family. There are many familys that would let a person go homeless instead of taking them in.

Not all families are what we like to think they should be.

Do you think all the homeless people are only people who have no family?

Old 01-16-2011, 11:21 AM

2,017 posts, read 5,638,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovingSAT View Post
It could be the family or it could be the individuals desire not to lean on family. There are many familys that would let a person go homeless instead of taking them in.

Not all families are what we like to think they should be.

Do you think all the homeless people are only people who have no family?
Very true-- my aunt is an alcoholic and I would not take her in-- no way no how.

Her own daughter wouldn't either because she has small children. In fact, when her mother was at her house for a visit-- my cousin went into premature labor. She was terrified that her mother was alone with her toddler in her house and kept calling my other cousin begging her to keep calling her mom to make sure she was not getting drunk. Her mom has no compunction about getting into a car completely soused and unfortunately has never been caught by the police. She has a huge problem and is one of the few alcoholics that I have ever met (unfortunately I have known a handful) that will not even admit she drinks ANYTHING (she swears she never lets it touch her lips-- although we have caught booze in a secret suitcase, in the bathroom under towels, in shoes, in boots, in McDonald's paper cups in her car, etc).

Old 01-16-2011, 05:52 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,149,725 times
I was simply asking a question.

Old 01-16-2011, 06:33 PM

2 posts, read 2,041 times
Try a church - believer or not. Try a reformed synagogue. In Asheville, there's the Asheville Buncombe County Medical Ministry but they are far reaching.

Bottom line for everyone is we're all tanking here and no one seems to get it. I had a long talk with my CPA about it this last Friday. It's scary out there. I live in fear myself and at this time, have a roof over my head.

BAs are pretty meaningless since colleges and universities were out to get people for whatever money they could rather than actually educate people.

Man, I am truly so very sorry. Good luck. Good luck to all of us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment