Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2013, 11:38 AM

50 posts, read 89,758 times

Advertisements

Here is my situation. Almost 2 weeks ago, I interviewed for a staff accountant position at a large company. The interview went well, and the recruiter that sent me on the interview called me and told me she got really good feedback. Last week, I followed up with the recruiter and she said that according to the HR manager, I was one of the top candidates. This morning, I got a call from the recruiter saying that the company wanted to extend me an offer. We got cut off. About 20 minutes later, she called back saying it was a mistake. The company had decided to go forward with a candidate that had more cost accounting experience and they looked at the wrong resume by mistake. It felt like a punch in the stomach. I had just called a friend saying "I got the job." I talked with the recruiter later and she said the company sent its apologies. I console myself saying that if the company is going to screw up something like that, it probably isn't someone i want to be working for. I am still furious though. Suppose I had the information I had the offer and resigned my current job and then found out it was a mistake. I could have sued the company and won. Am I being unreasonable to be this angry?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2013, 11:45 AM

593 posts, read 1,411,829 times
Just be thankful you hadn't done all that based on that call and try to move on. That's a pretty crappy thing to go through though, I feel for you!

Old 02-12-2013, 12:16 PM

13,520 posts, read 22,131,339 times
I can understand why you are mad but ... mistakes do happen.
I've also heard of jobs being eliminated (and offers rescinded) even before the newhire's start date.

Old 02-12-2013, 12:26 PM

3,082 posts, read 5,438,880 times
I once was offered a position for a full-time job. I told my employer that I was accepting a new position. The company that offered me the position came back to me and said that they could only offer me the position as a contract position. I was humiliated. Yes, you do have the right to be angry. Perhaps you can write a brief note to HR explaining your dissatisfaction with this process. Otherwise, it's not worth focusing on. These types of mistakes probably happen more than we are aware of.

Old 02-12-2013, 12:53 PM

136 posts, read 239,261 times
Hmm, it's also poosible that it could be the recruiters mistake. It was 20 minutes. Be angry... Move on.

Old 02-12-2013, 01:21 PM

4,713 posts, read 9,704,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RRusso1982 View Post
I console myself saying that if the company is going to screw up something like that, it probably isn't someone i want to be working for.
Sometimes people make mistakes. It happens.

Quote:
Suppose I had the information I had the offer and resigned my current job and then found out it was a mistake.
If you resigned your current job based solely on a recruiter telling you over the phone that a company was going to extend you an offer, or even if someone at the company verbally made you an offer, without having an actual offer letter in hand, then that would just be stupid on your part. Until that hard-copy offer letter shows up on your desk, you don't have a formal offer.

Quote:
I could have sued the company and won.
Doubtful. Especially based on a strictly verbal offer of any kind.

Sorry to hear about this - it is a crappy situation. But all you can do is blow off some steam and move on.

Old 02-12-2013, 01:43 PM

4,005 posts, read 4,105,782 times
As much as I've wanted to send my thoughts to employers, I haven't. People make mistakes. I do. And you never know, the person they hire may not work out and they may call you in a week or two.

Old 02-12-2013, 01:53 PM

3,622 posts, read 5,594,394 times
Don't do anything. It's disappointing but that's life, nothing is fair and mistakes happen. Besides, the last thing you want to do is act like an idiot and burn bridges.

Old 02-12-2013, 01:55 PM

4,640 posts, read 11,938,904 times
I would absolutely be mad. First the recruiter screws up and then insults you. And, yes, if they had extended you a verbal offer and you relied on that offer and resigned from your job, I do think you would have a case. I don't know that you'd win, but I think you'd have a case. However, it sounds like the recruiter actually said she was *going* to extend an offer. She didn't actually make it yet, right? Or give you a start date? Of course, the recruiter is still a big boob.

Old 02-12-2013, 01:59 PM
YAZ

7,708 posts, read 14,088,996 times
That ain't nuthin'.

Not only did I receive a written offer, I signed off on my W-4's.....

Put in my 2 weeks notice.....then a week later.....

Sorry, Yaz.

We decided to hold off on the hiring.

That was an awkward moment with my boss the next day. Ended up staying put for 2 more years, with the onus on me that I'd be leaving any day now.....

Hardly lawsuit material, as one can work for an employer for a single day and be terminated without cause.

I know an engineer that accepted a position out of state through a staffing agency. This guy terminated a lease, signed another one and moved all of his earthly belongings. Showed up for work and they threw him out. He was lucky to get reimbursed for some of his costs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment