Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2011, 01:16 PM

6,459 posts, read 12,029,752 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by h0tmess View Post
Well here I am. Exhausted.. 6+ months of being unemployed made me too comfortable and laaazy, and standing hurts.. lmao
Anyway.

The manager is very nice. Very down to earth and overall gives off a good, honest vibe. His assistant seems really awesome too and has been there for like 17 years so that's nice to know as well. The others.. ehh.. not very helpful to a new person who has to learn where things are at on 5 different floors.. lol..

One girl (I will get to her in a minute) is moving to Chicago to be with her family in 3 weeks. She is a "supervisor", basically she is more or less a shift runner/key holder position. Me and this other guy got hired the same day; him replacing her and myself replacing another lady whom already left.

Yesterday was our first day, and the new "supervisor" calls out because "He might have the flu". LOL? ...Like, really? So I spent the day trying to get acquainted with people and "learn" as much as I can. The manager said he values his time so he's going to wait for him to show up before we get a full orientation (we DID do the basic paperwork)..and that's fine with me. So, anyway.. every hour someone needs to check all of the service copiers on each floor (3 per floor). I only went with 1 guy twice. A lot of them go home at 5 (I'm there until 8). I was told to do the 5 and 6:00 one.. lol.. another guy was there, and they asked him to come with me for the 5:00 run and he said "BUT AH'M DUN AT FIVE THIRTY" and rolled his eyes..lmao.. so I told the manager "I'll do my my best, I can't say I'll be able to find them all (very big firm) but I can promise you I'll do my best". He gave me a thumbs up and said "that's all I ask =)"

So I did.. and I did eventually find them all. Took a while, but hey whatever.

Cut to today: The other guy shows up.. mysteriously looking and sounding so healthy. Not one sniffle, not one cough, no hoarseness in voice... nice. He spent the entire day talking and talking and talking and trying to sound soo impressive..and nothing he was saying was.. um.. interesting? Eventually just sat around did nothing, was talking on his phone, not trying to learn anything new.. like where everything is.... And tomorrow? Tomorrow he is going to be late for "prior engagement".. we were both offered the job 2 weeks ago.. and he really couldn't do whatever he had to do? lol whatever..

Meanwhile the other girl who he is replacing is sitting there online googling "How to collect unemployment if job won't transfer". (She is moving by choice, and she is being very picky with what kind of position they give her.. she said "I aint wanna step down")

lmao, I officially give up on life.
You know what? You are a miserable busy body and I can so see you getting "let go" over the people you deem to be "that ain't my job" folks.

Why the hell are you worrying about some chick who has NOTHING to do with you checking for HER unemployment options? It's none of your business what she's doing or if the guy who said he was sick appears "not to be". That's up to your SUPERVISOR to decide.

I'm sorry, but there is no way you'll be able to contain you online board personality on the job. You will be gotten rid of. You're annoying, a brown noser and an obvious snitch.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2011, 01:26 PM

6,459 posts, read 12,029,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huascar View Post
Sure you do, your whole purpose here is to let us know how swell you are. You act like you're the only person who ever hit a lick but I wouldn't be surprised if most people are actually quietly more productive. You're the kind of person I liked putting on the first layoff; if only for the pleasure of watching their dismayed surprise at being tops on the hit parade.
These people never know how to handle it.

What they fail to realize is that unless their job is of the utmost importance and can't be filled right away, most HR people, supervisors and co-workers would rather see them go on their merry little miserable ways.

They won't be missed and the company will HAPPILY pay unemployment and not fight it, so as to never have to deal with them ever again for ANY reason.

Old 02-03-2011, 02:01 PM

7 posts, read 36,316 times
Quote:
Hellooo!
So I am lucky to be starting a new job on Monday. Can't say I'm thrilled, but hey, it's work.

One of the most irritating things about working with a team, is laziness. I personally believe we should all do what we gotta do.. so we can get by the day and GO HOME!! When I hear things like "DAT AINT MAH JAB!!" or "DIS AINT IN MAH JAB DESCRIFTION".. it.. makes me terribly, terribly angry. Now, I'll be working in a law firm, and I'll be working an office services team; we'll be responsible for creating books, signs, labels, etc for the attorneys. Pretty basic, pretty simple stuff.. but i've been there before..and it's so contagious. It takes one person to infect an another.. and when you're a team of 8 and 7 others have been infected with the dat aint mah jab bug.. it's maddening.

One of the other things, is usually the people like that.. somehow, someway, never get reprimanded. Their laziness goes unnoticed, and the people who make up for their slack... also go unnoticed...

So, how do you deal? My last job was so infected with that virus..that it drove me to quit. I just want to go work, do what I need to do and go home, but it is hard when other people are just useless, classless, and get away with so much

I really hope these people turn out OK...but I've been wrong too many times taking jobs in Philadelphia.. lol..
Why do your ex co-workers speak in "ebonics"?

And are people necessary "lazy" if they refuse to do/take on more than they are paid to do? Does the fact that other people don't want to carry your weight bother you?

Old 02-03-2011, 08:59 PM

1,770 posts, read 2,897,817 times
LOL you people are retards. I already said I don't really speak of this at work, since nothing will come of it. I let nature's take its course, unless the person is a minority..then they never get fired. But I deal with that.

Sorry that I go to work to do a job.

Old 02-03-2011, 09:21 PM

1,887 posts, read 7,940,698 times
Quote:
LOL you people are retards. I already said I don't really speak of this at work, since nothing will come of it. I let nature's take its course, unless the person is a minority..then they never get fired. But I deal with that.

It seems to me that you'll never be happy at any job. It's not very likely that you can change the attitudes of your coworkers. Your efforts will be better spent changing your own attitude (so that you're better able to cope with your miserable situation) or spend some real effort training for a better career.

Old 02-03-2011, 11:22 PM

1,128 posts, read 3,481,746 times
Quote:
Do I care? No. But how long until I'm supposed to care? When it happens once a week? But again, everyone gives excuses for everyone and everything these days..
Of course you care. This whole thread is dedicated to your complaints that illustrate how much you really do care about all this nonsense that you're unnecessarily working yourself up about. I don't even think this forum is a very appropriate place to badmouth anyone you work with because it is after all just a public internet forum that anyone can find. You have no way of knowing if any of your new coworkers are City Data employment board regulars and then all of the harsh judgments you concluded about the people you work with (whom you had known for a grand total of three days at the time) could inevitably come back to bite you in the ass.

If you find it necessary to vent about all this petty BS, find a(n unfortunate) friend or someone who doesn't mind listening about your awesome work ethic and everyone else's horrible display of professionalism.

And as a side note: It's funny to me that you used this thread as a place to complain about coworkers being unprofessional and immature and then you call us retards when you don't like our comments.

Last edited by CoolSocks; 02-03-2011 at 11:44 PM..

Old 02-05-2011, 03:07 PM

7 posts, read 36,316 times
^Exactly.

Old 02-06-2011, 10:36 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,707,823 times
Quote:
Hellooo!
So I am lucky to be starting a new job on Monday. Can't say I'm thrilled, but hey, it's work.

One of the most irritating things about working with a team, is laziness. I personally believe we should all do what we gotta do.. so we can get by the day and GO HOME!! When I hear things like "DAT AINT MAH JAB!!" or "DIS AINT IN MAH JAB DESCRIFTION".. it.. makes me terribly, terribly angry. Now, I'll be working in a law firm, and I'll be working an office services team; we'll be responsible for creating books, signs, labels, etc for the attorneys. Pretty basic, pretty simple stuff.. but i've been there before..and it's so contagious. It takes one person to infect an another.. and when you're a team of 8 and 7 others have been infected with the dat aint mah jab bug.. it's maddening.

One of the other things, is usually the people like that.. somehow, someway, never get reprimanded. Their laziness goes unnoticed, and the people who make up for their slack... also go unnoticed...

So, how do you deal? My last job was so infected with that virus..that it drove me to quit. I just want to go work, do what I need to do and go home, but it is hard when other people are just useless, classless, and get away with so much

I really hope these people turn out OK...but I've been wrong too many times taking jobs in Philadelphia.. lol..
That's the problem with "team". Many workplaces take the "team" approach - that "all for one, one for all" because they have slackers and other problems and this is the way to get around doing anything about it.

It's poor management - but it's the way it often is. If you need a job, just live with it until you can get into something better. If it helps, it's pretty widespread and you can leave one place to find it just as bad somewhere else.

One approach that helps is to just not pay attention to what others are doing. Just do your work and grab any of the work that needs being done and if someone sits there texting away, just figure you aren't being paid to supervise them so it's not really your problem.

In many workplaces there are people who show up to mostly web surf, call their friends on their cell phones, goof all, pretend they're working by having multiple windows open which they can click as needed when they hear the boss's footsteps or they'll use charm or whatever else it is they have - and others are doing the work.

Decide which category you'd rather be in - because very often everyone knows which individual is which - and even if the slackers get by with it all the time, you can decide you don't want to be one of them.

Old 02-06-2011, 10:38 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,375,553 times
I've held many kinds of jobs and worked with many different people.

And the sad fact is that I have encountered WAY MORE people who are the "that isn't my job" type than the "I'll do anything I can to help" type.

Which is why the American work force is a total piece of crap.

Old 02-06-2011, 10:41 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,707,823 times
Quote:

If it helps -- one of the biggest slackers where I work is a white woman. She makes a career out of doing as little real work as she can - in fact prides herself in doing very little but shop online while supposedly working.

It's just the nature of the corporate world today. You'll see all kinds of people who have learned that the best approach is not to know how to do much because then no one will ask them to do it. To me it takes a special cleverness to do this - for me it's easier to just learn to do the job and do it well - it's got to take some serious effort to spend 8 hours doing nothing and getting by with it or not getting bored out of your mind.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment