Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2011, 07:05 PM

1,770 posts, read 2,897,306 times

Advertisements

Hellooo!
So I am lucky to be starting a new job on Monday. Can't say I'm thrilled, but hey, it's work.

One of the most irritating things about working with a team, is laziness. I personally believe we should all do what we gotta do.. so we can get by the day and GO HOME!! When I hear things like "DAT AINT MAH JAB!!" or "DIS AINT IN MAH JAB DESCRIFTION".. it.. makes me terribly, terribly angry. Now, I'll be working in a law firm, and I'll be working an office services team; we'll be responsible for creating books, signs, labels, etc for the attorneys. Pretty basic, pretty simple stuff.. but i've been there before..and it's so contagious. It takes one person to infect an another.. and when you're a team of 8 and 7 others have been infected with the dat aint mah jab bug.. it's maddening.

One of the other things, is usually the people like that.. somehow, someway, never get reprimanded. Their laziness goes unnoticed, and the people who make up for their slack... also go unnoticed...

So, how do you deal? My last job was so infected with that virus..that it drove me to quit. I just want to go work, do what I need to do and go home, but it is hard when other people are just useless, classless, and get away with so much

I really hope these people turn out OK...but I've been wrong too many times taking jobs in Philadelphia.. lol..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2011, 07:22 PM

5,706 posts, read 9,630,158 times
Ever heard of a a self-fulfilling prophecy?

Old 01-29-2011, 07:27 PM

2,533 posts, read 3,100,245 times
You haven't even started the job, so why predict such a scenario?
I understand your desire to "get by the day and go home." But don't concern yourself so much with other theoretical members of your theoretical team, and their theoretical attitudes. That's Management's concern; you're not paid (nearly enough!) to worry about it.

Old 01-29-2011, 07:34 PM

1,770 posts, read 2,897,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedJacket View Post
I've heard, but I really am not familiar with it. Will google in a bit.. lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenstyle View Post
You haven't even started the job, so why predict such a scenario?
I understand your desire to "get by the day and go home." But don't concern yourself so much with other theoretical members of your theoretical team, and their theoretical attitudes. That's Management's concern; you're not paid (nearly enough!) to worry about it.
I understand, just normally a pessimist since I'm so accustomed to this behavior at work, it just seems like the norm It just gets me when I (or anyone in that situation) gets 'stuck' doing more because someone else doesn't want to.

Just really anxious, and this is helping.. lol

Old 01-29-2011, 07:34 PM

15,080 posts, read 20,472,256 times
Cross that bridge when you get there and not a moment sooner.

Old 01-29-2011, 07:56 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,040,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h0tmess View Post
One of the other things, is usually the people like that.. somehow, someway, never get reprimanded. Their laziness goes unnoticed, and the people who make up for their slack... also go unnoticed...

So, how do you deal?
I fire them. I'll never forget when I stumbled upon a new-hire arguing with the receptionist. The receptionist had called her to pick up a package that was delivered for her. She was refusing to take it, saying it was too heavy for her. I picked it up with one hand, tossed it back and forth between my hands, and swung it over my head, asking, "This is too heavy for you?" I'm a tiny woman. The box weighed 5lbs tops. Then she said, "Carrying boxes is man's work." She was a Russian immigrant---maybe it was cultural. I decided she could be another employer's problem, and I fired her a month later after she proved to be unwilling to do many things.

How do you deal with it as a new employee? Just do the best job possible and don't let other people infect you with negativity.

Old 01-29-2011, 09:55 PM

2,210 posts, read 7,026,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedJacket View Post
Yeah. I kind of wonder about anybody starting a new job with that kind of attitude and expectation.

Old 01-29-2011, 10:10 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,755,036 times
If you can't beat them, join them. Then, beat them at their own game.

Old 01-29-2011, 10:22 PM

1,128 posts, read 3,481,214 times
Quote:
Hellooo!

One of the most irritating things about working with a team, is laziness. I personally believe we should all do what we gotta do.. so we can get by the day and GO HOME!! When I hear things like "DAT AINT MAH JAB!!" or "DIS AINT IN MAH JAB DESCRIFTION".. it.. makes me terribly, terribly angry. Now, I'll be working in a law firm

Are you sure you work at a law firm because it sounds like you work at a McDonalds.

In all seriousness, I agree with the point that YOU HAVEN'T EVEN STARTED YET, therefore you have no idea what your co-workers' work ethic will be.

Old 01-30-2011, 01:03 AM

25,157 posts, read 53,943,694 times
That's why working in teams is worthless. When will people learn that not everybody is going to be on the same wavelength. I guess never.

Quote:
Hellooo!
So I am lucky to be starting a new job on Monday. Can't say I'm thrilled, but hey, it's work.

One of the most irritating things about working with a team, is laziness. I personally believe we should all do what we gotta do.. so we can get by the day and GO HOME!! When I hear things like "DAT AINT MAH JAB!!" or "DIS AINT IN MAH JAB DESCRIFTION".. it.. makes me terribly, terribly angry. Now, I'll be working in a law firm, and I'll be working an office services team; we'll be responsible for creating books, signs, labels, etc for the attorneys. Pretty basic, pretty simple stuff.. but i've been there before..and it's so contagious. It takes one person to infect an another.. and when you're a team of 8 and 7 others have been infected with the dat aint mah jab bug.. it's maddening.

So, how do you deal? My last job was so infected with that virus..that it drove me to quit. I just want to go work, do what I need to do and go home, but it is hard when other people are just useless, classless, and get away with so much

I really hope these people turn out OK...but I've been wrong too many times taking jobs in Philadelphia.. lol..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment