Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2011, 08:59 PM

106 posts, read 361,492 times

Advertisements

Motivation and determination, along with setting yourself apart with no fear will get you far.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2011, 07:39 AM

470 posts, read 1,036,869 times
Any advice for those people that are still looking for jobs in 2011? From the timeline I piece together this all took place between 2003 and 2005. You know we had a recession that was brewing in late 2007 and really kicked off in 2008? I guess it doesn't matter though because I'm going to bet that you are not successful. I'm even going to go further and say you aren't even 24. Lets at the very least switch those numbers around in your supposed age and make you 42. Now the use of over exaggerated terms like "bro", "dude" and "like" all make sense. This post is the work of an old bitter troll. I'll bet my farm........uhhh golf course on that.

My advice for people looking for jobs. Get the off City Data. If the people on here really had successful jobs that put them in a place to offer expert advice and opinions they would not be spending the majority of there days on here. They would be way too busy. They should change the name of this forum to Outhouse Attorney Forums. It is now 0837 here and I am off to be productive on Friday, the last business day of the week.

Old 02-04-2011, 10:23 AM

126 posts, read 724,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frizzo100 View Post
This whole story is fabricated. If you go back and look at some of his previous post, you would know he is full of it.
I tend to agree. Anyone who "speaks Spicoli" this
much is doing it in person, "naturally". I can just
hear them on the phone:

"Dude, like, do ya wanna buy some stuff from me?"

Old 02-04-2011, 12:36 PM
JS1

1,896 posts, read 6,768,409 times
lol, what a dumb thread

Old 02-04-2011, 02:11 PM

2,540 posts, read 3,734,968 times
Although the OP's post is long, he has a good point. I've said it many times on this board that one of the best ways to get a job is cold calling. I was unemployed in 2009 when the recession was hitting the country hardest, and I got 5 offers within a few weeks after I started cold calling. Simply filling out an application online is passive job searching and it doesn't work anymore.

Old 02-04-2011, 04:54 PM

470 posts, read 1,036,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frizzo100 View Post
This whole story is fabricated. If you go back and look at some of his previous post, you would know he is full of it. About the only thing he has said that I believe is he suffers from attention deficit disorder. There is no way this person is mentally stable enough to run his own business.

This guy reminds me of the UPS guy on Mad TV. You know, the guy who can't stand still and talks a mile a minute while making a delivery. I think he needs to take his meds.
Looking back at his previous posts the only thing I can make any truth out of is that he is terrified of natural disasters, inclement weather, and sexual predators.

Old 02-05-2011, 05:53 AM

77 posts, read 440,666 times
Hello Everyone & thanks to those of you that said nice things about me, haha.. I'm so used to people talking to me in this Condescending manor, it's ok.. If they're mad & pissed & I'm still smiling & happy- then I win right? Heck yeah brutha..

Ok now.. Just a quick reply to some of you (Everyone listen up, this will be entertaining.)

-One guy from Indiana asked if jobs exist where you'd get paid $12/hour. Look for Call Center jobs bro They all pay around $12. And anyone here who can't type- download a typing software program or take a class- Call Centers need people who can type so do all kinds of jobs. I type 74 Wpm in my prime (But I"m probably just lying anyway...)

-Some people said sounds good in Theory but doesn't actually work.
Ok I almost know 100% for sure that you have never done this before. Went out- 8 hours a day- looking for jobs & doing it in that way I recommended, where you pretty much Demand your interview. It does work bro, If your appathetic or the type to join the band wagon & complain- I don't think it's realistic to think you'll ever be this proactive about job hunting. Some people will just say "No! There Are No Jobs! I've Looked!" And to that I say... Oh well, you can 'tell 'em, but you can't tell 'em much..

-Real Quick- My advice is only as good as your effort.
A 17 year old Millionare entrepreneur said on TV once. You can have a Brilliant Idea, a Genius Idea! But your Idea is only as good as it's Execution. Said, we can all sit around and talk about these Great Ideas, but your idea is only as good as the Effort you put in to it. If you never apply effort- then it's Nothing! And will never amount to anything! If you work your tail off at that Idea- then hey, that's how all us Business owners, Inventors did it bro.

-Some people said it sounds good in theory, Well yeah- but then there's Practice bro. You take the Theory, then you go out & practice that Theory. For you to sit there, and Decide, without even practicing this Theory, just decide- oh heck nah.. that ain't gunna work.. There ain't no jobs.. this guys' crazy & he's a Liar!! hahaha... That's like me saying.. Man, that girl over there is Beautiful- I think I'm going to ask her out. And you tell me, no way! that's the Hottest girl in school, you just enrolled yesterday, your a no body- look at you.. It's impossible. Then I go, well "ya snooze you lose.." And I go ask her out, wind up with her. Happens EVERY DAY!

Us Business owners are Risk Takers. And if you're afraid to take that little Risk of going out & trying to find a job for at least 8 hours a day, every day. Then... yeah... that's wack..

-Katwomen2 said to be Skeptical? haha From what? What am I selling? I didn't tell you to invest in a pyramid scam at the end. What do I get out of this? I'm actually on here looking for info- I'm looking for property to buy, I remember reading over & over & over of how people saying their Unemployed or certain areas don't have jobs etc.. I actually posted this thread to the AZ forum, cause that's where I've read a lot of it- the moderator just switched it to here for me.

-Another piece of advice, Never take No for an answer! NEVER! for anything! (almost anything.)
You would be SO surprised! In what you can accomplish by assuming that them saying "No" isn't the Final Response. I almost ignore that No Completely! In Sales, almost every deal I close starts off as a No, or No it's ok... No I'm not interested.. maybe next time I order.. etc.. But I continue- I continue to tell them what I know they need to hear for them to consider. And I'm really good at knowing what that is. And once I say it, their whole body language- everything just changes. They'll go from really stern, to laughing with me on the phone. telling me about their Kids & their neighborhood etc.. Pretty much their No just means "They don't know yet." They don't know what it is I am trying to sell them. Or they don't know how good it is, so I just continue to tell them, make them fully aware of this Amazing Product! That I have, that they do not want to miss out on. And for you guys, that product will be your selves. Like NO! Sorry! We're not hiring! "Oh but, I live right down the street- I will never be late, I have 2 years experience in the photo department. I've worked at all 3 of your major Competetors- I worked in PV where the Customers are top knotch, I even know how to Close photo, I know how to clean all the machines & open photo. I'm an Excellent multi tasker, our Store was number 3 in the district & I did photo all by myself. I'm open for schedule- I can work full time, I can work grave yard- I don't have school or any other job in the way. I know all the products you sell- I know all the features & benefits to all your products and services etc... What ever.. Just keep talking- just keep telling them how great the product is and they will decide it's a product they should have, and they'll agree.

I even say, what do you have to lose? You can hire me on "probation" (or what ever they call it.) Try me out, I really do need this opportunity & I would love to take advantage of this opportunity. Please give me this opportunity, I promise you will not regret it! See, I am a sales guy

-And then for all you who said I'm probably lying b(At the bottom I recommended some books btw)
First of all- why in the heck would I lie? I mean.. I posted this thread to be helpful. Does it seem impossible to believe that someone would just be nice enough to help random strangers on the internet- by typing up advice that may be helpful for them? And work is so necessary- something like that. I mean.. Of course I want to do this for free, for nothing- for no reason.
And another thing, I'm Christian & I'm an Entrepreneur. Bible Reading faithful Christians donate bro! And I donate! I give! And I LOVE! to give! I also like to teach. But I really enjoy giving money to Charity, And even giving this advice. It's totally in line with what I do, how I live my life. And a lot of entrepreneurs (that I admire) are Philanthropist. look that up if you don't know what it is.

Some people said I'm probably not even 24? haha why in the heck would I make this up? you know what I've found. I find that people that are quick to assume one is lying- it's usually because they Lie themselves, a lot! I know a few people that lie a lot! Family members (Teens) They lie! like Crazy! Just for the heck of it. And when ever I say something like... "Oh I met that orange haired kid from Spy Kids & world's Greatest Dad at that Yogurt shop right there" First thing he says "No you didn't! your lying..." hahaha And it's Cause he Lies! all the time! He doesn't believe me. I met him again at the same spot, took a picture on my phone... anyway.. haha Why would I lie? That's just childish to even imagine.

And! Look at this. Suppose I'm telling the Truth. What if I am 24 & all this is true.
If I am 24, And I've had 7 jobs between 17-19 And I started a business, and now I'm 24. And a business owner & all those things I said I did were true. If all that were true, and I went on City-data.com one night & decided to write about it in a thread. This is exactly what it would look like! Right? If I did those things & I'm 24, & I decided to write about it in a thread- This is EXACTLY! what it would look like.

And by the way, I am 24- I started my business when I was 21 February 2008 to be exact. I'm born in 1986. I now have 3 Business's. And I have a fat stack of ideas written down in so many notebooks, I cant wait to move on to the next ventures! And yeah, I opened my Business when the Economy was ALL Messed Up! My Competitors say how great it was before 2008. I only know what it's like to be in business when everything is Down! And not to brag- But it's SO EASY! The money just Comes! I can't even take care of all the business that goes down! I constantly need more people & expanding is always required. Seriously, sometimes I almost hope it's not a customer calling when the phone rings- cause everyone's too busy to take the call. I hate to brag, just if anything- hopefully someone that has that Entrepreneur within, just needs to make that first step- maybe this could be motivation to that person. I don't even think I mentioned too much about my business in that first thread. I try not to. when I meet people, they ask me what I do. I usually am so broad about it. I'll just say what industry I'm in.. or I'll say I'm in Sales.. or I'll say I work for this company that does etc.. etc.. (What my company does.) Only times I feel comfortable to tell people what it is I do, is when I'm talking with other business owners. I don't know why.. Just a thing.. I admire the Modest.

And then me saying bro etc.. Dude.. I just talk with slang bro. I also live in Southern CA, it's sort of typical amongst my friends & I. I do it a lot more then most though. I also quit cussing 2 years ago, maybe I toss a few extra slang words in there as a substitute.

And then to think that cause I talk this way- it's impossible to imagine me having my own business(s) Dude.. when you're the boss you can walk in to the office bare foot with no shirt on at 4 PM if you want. I had a boss that would sleep on the couch while we're all working 12 hour days. I heard of a boss that would smoke weed right in the office- in front of everyone.. I can do what ever the heck I want! haha.. I don't have to impress anyone. When I talk to customers, the professional Sales guy just turns right on- I don't even have to think about it. And I'm not being fake- I love! sales, it's like a sport to me.

And then one guy said- his primary reason for thinking I"m not telling the truth was cause I wrote this long post. Well first off, I type 74 Words per minute gone up to like 85 wpm when I'm in the zone. So this is pretty easy for me bro, I type as fast as I think/talk. And then, on top of that- I'm the boss bro! Not that it's cool to do this or anything- but I can go to bed when I want, wake up when I want. Take an hour to surf youtube & write a long Thread to you guys if I want. Not that I should wake up late or anything, but I can if I want to.. No ones going to call me & tell me I'm late.

And if you don't believe me.. no biggy.. it's not like I'll be over here hurtin.. Aww... man! Skater_Dude995 Doesn't Believe me! Darnit! Why won't he believe me??? Aww man... now what do I do??? hahaha.. this advice I posted was supposed to be for those who don't have jobs. I mean.. I honestly believe if you took that advice you'd really have a job within less then two weeks. Definitely less then a month.

My friend's Dad says "You knock on 100 doors, you will get 1 Yes" And its true man!.. It's true..

Now, there are plenty of Business owners in the world. There are Lots of them! there are lots of people 24 years old & younger that are Business owners (Entrepreneurs.) In this world, in the USA. And we all have internet bro.. We're all capable of winding up on City-Data for what ever reason. And we're capable of typing up a Page of advice about how to get a job bro.. Why not?..

And someone else said I need to learn how to talk better or something? you should hear me talk, not to brag- but I love words- I've been told I'm very articulate. I talk w/slang cause I'm just being myself, I'm only 24 by the way dude.. You should hear how I present things & ask questions bro. It's so darn.. man.. It's really good. I am so Unique in the Sales department.

This dude, I worked in sales at this place- This one guy worked there for 10 Years was always number 2 in the store out of 44 employees. I came in & was on the top 10 right away, & w/in 6 months was on top 5 (right under him.) He was so.. Stuburn & kept to himself. He didn't want to help anyone! Give any advice! Any tips! He wanted all them Closing secrets to himself. I tell you, he was in his 40's I was 18! Just turned 18! My first sales job! And he straight Took SO many of my Techniques! I mean before I left he even told me he admired how I work. (For him that's huge.) Like my "Greet" his Greet & everyone's Greet is some by the book crap. Wanna know what I would say? I would say "What up!..." Seriously! And that got the customers to open up to me so much! they'd laugh.. & open up, tell me what they're in the store for, I'd show them the best stuff. etc.. Everyone Else's Greet lead to nothing "Oh hey, oh we're just looking.." They started talking about me in meetings right from my first week!

My first week in that store they were already talking about me in meetings & they continued to talk about me & only me (of all 44 employees) in every meeting we had. They would say how everyone can learn from me. That first week they talked about how I Sold them on the idea of hiring me. If you remember, that was the place where I walked in- got that interview. They said I ranked a 4, they only call back 5's etc..

Even one time, This customer called & wanted some cheap item we make nothing on & she knew that somehow. I took care of her as if she were buying the most expensive item we had, on a super busy day! I even hooked her up! leaving me with no Commision at all. Smiled, And thanked her Sincerely! She called back & said how much of an Excellent experience she had with me helping her out. Said that everytime she goes to that store, all the Employees are "Jaded" & if she doesn't have a hundred dollar bill hanging out of her mouth they don't want to have anything to do with you.

No lie! The General Manager Wrote me a check for $50, handed it to me. I was puzzled? He told me that lady called back. He wrote an email to the entire store about it. Then we had a Mandatory "all of a sudden" meeting late that night- lasted an hour. About how Everyone there needs to be like me hahaha I am not kidding! That everyone needed to just be Excited, & enthusiastic about Every Sale! And to be Real! Not fake. Saying that I actually love this, I love ringing up all customers- not just the huge sales.

My bad, I got all excited & wrote all that last part just now.
And oh, Someone on here said they read this other post I wrote in the AZ forum about starting a business. I was replying to some dude who inquired about it. If you want to start a business- go to that thread & read that stuff. And if you're really determined to sit there & call me a liar & write about it etc.. Go read that stuff bro, I don't know how any "Non Business owner" can make that stuff up. And especially don't know why anyone would make any of this up.

And oh By the way!!! I did all this And I didn't even Graduate High school. In fact, I have 9th Grade Credits! I went on to 10th grade- but with 9th grade credits haha. Yeah dude!

Now some Books I can Recommend
Rich Dad Poor Dad, by Robert Kiyosaki
Think & Grow Rich, by Napoleon Hill. (The new Revised one, Purple cover w/Change on it.)
You call the shots by Cameron Johnson (He's one year older then me, Millionaire!)
Made in America by Sam Walton (Founder of Walmart & Sam's Club.)
*And if you don't like to read, or don't have the time. Get the "Audio Books" You can buy the CD's online like Amazon.com Also the books are all sold on Amazon.com brand new for like $3 new & $2 used. Also you can download the audiio book. A website like Audible.com sells audiobooks for like $7.50 Audiobooks - You listen to someone read the book to you. I use to listen as I drove..

Rich Dad,poor dad is an Amazing Book! Like the Best Selling book on personal finance.
It's really easy to read, This was actually the first book I read & completed in my life! Read it at age 19. Before this book- the only other book I read & completed which doesn't even really count is "The Cat in the Hat" In 1st Grade No lie! Author of this book is Rich obviously & he dropped out of school in the 8th grade. This Book is For EVERYONE! Not just Business owners. It's AMAZING! And So PERFECT for someone looking to start a business, or already in business. But also It's a Book Everyone should read. This will totally apply to you & relate to you. Read it! I know people who've read it & work at banks, offices, etc.. They were so thankful I turned them on to it. They told me all these changes they made & how much it's helped.

You call the shots, this Kid Cameron Johnson- now 25. he's a Genius Entrepreneur! he started his own business at the age of 5. All True! You can watch footage of him on the news on Youtube. They show him growing up on the news- age 5, all the way 'til now, he was always doing something amazing. By 12, he was making $50,000 a week Selling Beanie Baby's on eBay & was the Number 2 Distributor for Beanie Babies in the U.S.A. Mad his first Million by Highschool.

Those other two books are just great books- Really take a minute to at least read about them.
Think & Grow Rich inspired so many Business owners of today.

Anyway, Like I said before- Most people, when meeting me in person. Even online & over the phone, get the impression that I'm very Sincere & Genuine & Nice.. And That's really all that was behind me writing that initial Thread. I was simply trying to "help a bruther out." If someone out there feels like he's doomed, & there are no Jobs. I'm just here to say, yes there are & here's my advice on how to get a job.

And by the way- This economy thing, Yeah jobs are much harder to get- but I know! If it were me. I know I can go out & just for fun- go get hired at least 1 place if I did what I said to do- every day, 8 hours a day for 2 weeks straight. I'm sure I can get hired at 10 or more places in that time. But Definitely 1 Place.

I never take No! man. Never! You should see me.. My friends go "No... did you hear what they said, you're not supposed to do that.." etc.. I'll go.. Man.. What's the worst that can happen? and we wind up having some really spontaneous amazing time.

Real quick- When I was 20, I snuck into the Emmy's bro! True Story! This company I worked for thought i was a character & sent me to the Emmy's with a Camera man. Thinking we'd be able to get right up near that hand rail where all the interviewers go, & hoping for me to interview celebrity's on the Red Carpet. We got there, They had that thing So darn blocked off (Kodak Theatre.) We were so far away- Police cars in the middle of the street blocking off every thing- So many cops. The Celebrity's were the size of thumb tacks from where we were.

The Camera guy was like oh well.. Looks like we came here for nothing.. I was like Heck no dude! We are getting in! He kept trying to stop & argue with me, telling me it was impossible. I was just like- how do you know? Have you tried everything? I called the Producer, He said he'd re-imburse me for anything I spent, even thousands of dollars to get in. I walked up to people who had passes & people who had golf carts that were heading in. Trying to by their pass, or buy a ride in. The Camera guy was just crying saying I'm just wasting my time. Producer told him on speaker phone that I was the boss, to follow me. I decide to walk around the entire Kodak Theatre, We were only at that main entrance, I was thinking what about the side, the back, there has to be more streets leading to the Theatre. And there were & they all seemed to be blocked off. Except the very back! It was blocked off by only 1 Cop Car, with 2 Cops, The two cops were standing outside- facing the Celebrity's squinting at them or something.. I put my phone up to my ear- pretended to be talking, Walked right by them, I see this huge group of maybe 20 people- all dressed up. They happened to be walking in almost a single file line (just coincidence ) I just merged into the middle of them, walked in that line, followed them. The Camera man is tailing back half a block all slow & scared. We get to this Gate, it slides open, This guy says "Hurry hurrry you're Late!" Checks the first few people for their Passes. And then just says "Walk Fast!" We follow him, we go through alllll these people, all dressed up & seated. We walk through like 5 different Rooms of People, each room got higher & higher class, the room we finally wound up in was the Highest, I guess we had a really special "Badge" or something. I recognized like B grade Celebrity's. I was wearing a T-shirt & shorts. All the other Guys were wearing Tuxedo's. I was still pretending to be on my phone. There were big Flat screens everywhere- with the Emy's playing. I was really curious where we were. I see the entire Cast from Entourage on stage winning an Emmy. Then I'm watching them walk off stage- All of a sudden, you see them Coming into the room I'm in in the same order they walked off stage. I figured out- oh Crap! I'm on the Side of the Stage! And there goes the cast from Entourage! My Favorite Show! hahaha... That Camera guy never made it through.. I'm on the phone w/him telling him how to get through.. Anyway, I got kicked out after 45 minutes.

Anyway- I know that was a long TRUE! story. But I'm just sayin- I didn't take No, I never take No. No means "They don't know" or "How do you know?"

When I'm selling things & they say No, it means "They simply don't know what it is I'm selling & if they did, they'd buy it! I know they will buy it!" (Like you, if you're selling the idea of hiring you.) And then when my friends say "No, you can't do that." or "No, that's impossible" That just means "How do you know? They don't know!"

Like when I said I wanted to quit my job & start a business- EVERYONE! my Family, my Friends, my Co-workers all said it was impossible for me to generate an income without having a job. I started making money, on my own, with my own business within less then 6 weeks of quitting my job.

And by the way- I opened my first business with about $300. And My Business license & all the other stuff I needed to be legitimate was only $50 ($150 if you add the $100 I needed to open a business bank account.)

Alright, I'm done. Anyway, thanks to those who said nice things. And those who choose to be those people that have hate in their heart, I feel sorry for you.

And by the way, I love Everyone bro! Seriously! Even though I don't know you, even the people who say things that aren't nice. I love you! Jesus says to love everyone. And I really understand it, and I do- I love everyone in the world! Even you! And I am Happy! those who have hate in their heart, are usually sad people & I'll pray for you.

Sincerely,

Old 02-05-2011, 10:29 AM

3,739 posts, read 4,635,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by graceC View Post
Simply filling out an application online is passive job searching and it doesn't work anymore.
It doesn't? Well I know plenty of people that have gotten jobs that way. Just because it didn't work for you doesn't mean it won't work for others.

Old 02-05-2011, 03:47 PM

77 posts, read 440,666 times
Just sayin.. filling it out & that's it isn't good enough. I mean.. It's sort of like a mini lottery. Imagine some store needs to hire 1 employee. And they have 500 applications, they pick one of the 500 (And that's a realistic number too.. I heard Chuck-e-Cheeze gets like .. I forgot what it was, but close to a thousand a month or something. something crazy like that.)

Just sayin though, You can cross your fingers & hope they pick you. Or you can walk up, talk to the guy in charge- tell him to Pull your application & give you an interview. But you know.. put it in a different way- don't just say it like that haha.

Ray Kroc said - "The Definition of salesmanship is the Gentle art of letting the customer have it your way." Ray Kroc, Founder of Mc'Donalds.

I love that line! It's so true! It's the Gentle art of letting the customer have it my way. You have to be really wise with the way you put things & let them see what it is you are offering- & present it in this certain way that they will see what you want them to see. (For me, I don't try to get them to see some lie.) I only sell things I have faith in.

Old 02-05-2011, 04:13 PM

580 posts, read 2,293,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by christianguitarist27 View Post
Just sayin.. filling it out & that's it isn't good enough. I mean.. It's sort of like a mini lottery. Imagine some store needs to hire 1 employee. And they have 500 applications, they pick one of the 500 (And that's a realistic number too.. I heard Chuck-e-Cheeze gets like .. I forgot what it was, but close to a thousand a month or something. something crazy like that.)

Just sayin though, You can cross your fingers & hope they pick you. Or you can walk up, talk to the guy in charge- tell him to Pull your application & give you an interview. But you know.. put it in a different way- don't just say it like that haha.

Ray Kroc said - "The Definition of salesmanship is the Gentle art of letting the customer have it your way." Ray Kroc, Founder of Mc'Donalds.

I love that line! It's so true! It's the Gentle art of letting the customer have it my way. You have to be really wise with the way you put things & let them see what it is you are offering- & present it in this certain way that they will see what you want them to see. (For me, I don't try to get them to see some lie.) I only sell things I have faith in.
So basically you're a salesman. Well you haven't sold me anything. All I hear is somebody blowing smoke.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment